Is Carnival trying to monopolize excursions??

jtdlmc

After reading Devils and the Deep Blue Sea and several posts like this over the years, I think I've finally come to the decision that my February cruise on the Destiny will be my final Carnival vacation. I've always cruised Carnival because of the price, but it's gotten harder to justify getting a better deal simply because Carnival is a big bully.

There's also a rumour that Bannister Island (Belize) will not allow any Carnival sponsored excusions - I don't know whether it is true or not but I don't see any excursions offered on Carnival's website - but I can see why they would do that!

Bannister Island is a private island and I really have no need to go back there. It was for sale and who knows if some other cruise line bought it, but I digress.

The "old" port at Coxen Hole could handle more than one ship at a time, but only one could be docked and the rest had to tender a short distance.

Carnival is not the sole owner of Mahogany Bay - it is a joint venture and obviously the partners are out to recoup their investment and make as much money as possible.

In international ports, I feel a little less queasy by taking excursions through Carnival anyway. Their doing business this way is not necessary.

All of my excursions are booked with independent tour operators. Carnival is just too expensive considering what you get. The independent tours offer much more for much less cost and there are plenty of reviews on the port boards to know who the good ones are. Sure if you take a Carnival excursion you are guaranteed the ship will not leave without you, but I'm sure the independent tour company makes darn sure you are back or that would be the end of their business - their livelihood - with one mistake like that. I did book excursions that have hours between the end of the excursion and the time we have to be back on the ship just to be sure.

Of course they are. They were making $30 a person on one excursion and nothing extra was provided- buying it on line directly got you exactly the same excursion- maybe they provided a person to point in the direction of where you picked up the trip. Even the security of them waiting should you be late was not an issue on this excursion- everyone was on the same boat and it came and left about 500 feet from where you boarded the ship. I am not going to be more specific since in some places Carnival (and probably other lines) buy out an entire outing- buy it through the ship or you can't take the excursion. But in fact this is one way they have of keeping the overall price of the cruises down so it is probably a good business move.

You are going on a carnival ship to carnival sponsored ports. Of course they are protecting there interests and there money. They would prefer you to take there offered excursions etc. It is basic business.

Thank you. Simply put .. if you want a private excursion, the cost is to walk a tiny bit extra. I dont blame Carnival either.

They are not trying to do it. They are doing it.

We were in Roatan last May and booked an independent excursion. We had to push my mother up that hill in her wheelchair. The driver was allowed to drop off inside the Carnival owned area after the excursion.

BTW, this is not the only port Carnival tries to take over. There are many excursions that can only be booked through Carnival, ones that are not owned by Carnival, but they have a contract and do not allow self-bookings when the ship is in port.

Right, we just walked into this situation too. Booked an independent tour in Aruba......got a confirmation and all....about 3 weeks later got an email reconfirming how we were arriving in Aruba (what ship etc)....when I emailed back that it was the Carnival Miracle, I instantly got an new reply, apologizing for any confusion but stating that this tour operator had entered into a contractual agreement with Carnival and we had to book this tour thru the ship, they cancelled our confirmed booking. The sad part is that the tour thru Carnival was for 3.5 hours vs. 4.5, went to only 1/2 the stops of the company's listed tour, and cost almost DOUBLE!!! Carnival is really getting greedy.....they most certainly are monopolizing the market (Royal Carib and NCL can both book this tour independently still)......something is "fishy" beyond greed.

We experienced this on our Oct Splendor cruise in Puerta Vallarta. We wanted to book the Dolphin Trainer for a Day excursion through Johann & Sandra. To book through them the price was $175 (i think). To book the same tour through Carnival, the price was about $100 more per person. When we tried to book it through the independent tour operator, we were told that the cruiseline had bought all of their available tour slots so if we wanted to do the tour, we would have to book it through Carnival at the higher price. Instead, we elected to do the shorter, less expensive dolphin swim that we COULD book through the private operator. We were not going to pay the extra $100 per person to book through Carnival.

It was frustrating for sure....but we still got a great tour out of it and ended up saving some money as well.

It does seem that on some of the excursions Carnival has overdone it- an extra $100 per person for the same or even a lessor experience seems a lot. Especially when you figure that there is a good chance that Carnival has bargained hard to get the original price to the provider down some in exchange for guaranteeing fully booked trips. Wonder if they ever read "The Goose that Gave the Golden Eggs". Someone might suggest it.

Many years ago we were on a cruise that had a port stop at the San Blas Islands in Panama. When we were at the port talk the night before the CD told us we could book an excursion on small boats through RCCL (the line we were on). When we left the talk and ran into the CD, I questioned him as to why we could only book through RCCL and he said that's the way it was.

I proceeded to tell him a little white lie: I told him that my sister worked for the tv show 20/20 and I was going to have them do an investigation as to all the steering they do to the shops in the port and how they monopolized the excursions in San Blas Island.

The next morning he found me and told he "he happened to find a private boat owner who would give us a tour on the island."

Well, we paid such a small fee, $10 pp, and not only had our own boat but he took us to one of the islands the other groups did not go to, and we got to chat with the locals where they actually lived and made their crafts. I never forgot that incident and it was the beginning of realizing how much control the cruiselines have over so much of your vacations.

It is a shame for the island. Roatan is beautiful and the week I spent there was the best vacation ever. The locals were such nice people and it would be nice for them to make some money from the cruise ship tourists. The resort I stayed at catered to cruise ship people and had a separate area of the beach for them where they set up chairs, rented snorkel gear and served food and drinks. I hate to say it but those were the more adventurous types who walked the hill, grabbed a cab and had a great day that didn't cost a lot. we were warned by some of the resort goers to avoid the beach on cruise ship days but we had fun talking to people and by 2pm we had the beach back to ourselves.

If you are able to book a private excursion or venture out on your own you won't be disappointed. Just do your research like usual and you will have a wonderful day with smaller groups and more personal service.

Now that I've done three cruises with Carnival, I'm determined to never use the gated mall extravaganzas that they've built — such as those at Costa Maya and Roatan. Nor will I use their excursions. I generally like Carnival, they have nice ships, great service, yummy food, and a nice price, but the extras they offer are always giftwrapped in profiteering and monopolizing. The hill at Mahogany Bay is a classic "spit in the face of the customer" tactic that you see from companies that can and will do what they get away with. On top of this, they use scare tactics to divert you away from taking your own initiative.

Imagine the the opportunities for exploration and learning about other cultures that cruisers are missing because they get suckered into the overpriced canned activities offered by these cruise lines, many of which give completely artificial impressions of the region. My suggestion to anyone taking a cruise: long before you sail, take lots and lots of time to study the destinations and everything offered at those places. Look at reviews here and at TripAdvisor. Then plan your own days at the ports.

I did this on my recent Dream cruise, and I've never had a better time. In Belize, I headed to the small municipal airport and flew to San Pedro Island. Had a ball. In Roatan, I got my own customized tour from Islander Tours, owned by Juan Carlos Rodriguez. Best guided tour I've ever had. In each case the freedom of setting my own itinerary was so refreshing compared to the excursions.

I received an email this morning from an independant tour guide I am booked with in Roatan. It is a very long walk with a large hill from the ship to the other end of the port in Roatan. Apparently if you had a disabled, elderly, child in stroller, etc. person in your party, the independent tour guides could go to the port gate to pick them up. As of yesterday, Carnival will no longer allow that.

++ As of November 25, 2010, the Carnival Corporation (owner/manager of Mahogany Bay Cruise Center) requires all guests to walk the route shown above to meet independent guides. There are no pick-ups at the pier gate. No Exceptions will be made for wheelchairs, the elderly, children in strollers, mobility impaired guests, etc. Any guest not on a Carnival ship excursion will be required to walk outside the port property to meet thier Independent Guides.

To contact Carnival/Mahogany Bay management directly regarding this policy, please email: GCahill@carnival.com -- Gerry Cahill, Carnival CEO, gdavis@carnival.com -- Graham Davis, Director of Port Operations, director@mahoganybaycc.com -- Michael Reimers, General Manager of Mahogany Bay, or pfso@mahoganybaycc.com -- Hubert Bodden, PFSO of Mahogany Bay. ++

I, for one, think it is a deplorable move on Carnival's part. I'm sure they will give some safety issue or such as their reasoning, but I won't believe that!!!

IMHO, it seems it is more of a discrimination issue against anyone who can't "keep up" (handicapped, young, elderly). We were on a Carnival ship last spring and one of our party was in a wheelchair and another one had difficulty walking long distances and can not walk fast at all (both elderly). Right after boarding, while slowly walking with the wheelchair through a very thick crowd, one of the security officers rudely said to us "why aren't you moving , what's the hold up here" We were moving - just not as fast as they wanted us to - no compassion whatsoever that we couldn't move faster because of physical limitations AND the crowd! I won't give a lot more details - but in our experience, Carnival was not exactly "handicapped friendly" either in their attitude or desire to help. We experienced some other similar situations while on board. They can't exactly discriminate, but they sure did not seem happy about having people in wheelchairs on board - just our experience. So maybe this is just their MO.

No one has mentioned that only one ship could stop at a time at the old port in Roatan, and Carnival wanted more ships to go there .. still dont have enough imo .. great port, except for Mahagany Bay.

It wasnt really just because Carnival could buy up cheap land .. it was because they had no other real choice other than to take turns with the RCL ships, one ship a day.

It was my understanding that NCL had built the miniscule dock a VERY short walk from land, and abot a block from downtown.

Gorgoeus island, we spent the day on the other side of the island and met only one American, who vacationed there a week every year.

We were in Roatan on Friday and docked in Coxen Hole. We were unable to dock in Mohogany Bay due to high winds. At first we were disappointed, but 14 of us took an island tour that we booked on the dock. We only paid $20 pp and were all in one large van. It was one of the best highlights of our cruise. Seeing the island that way was a great way to get a feel for what's there. Next time, I think we'll go directly to West Bay and spend the day on that gorgeous beach. We got our tour guide to stop at a gas station so we could sample the local beer. I paid $5 for three bottles of beer and a bottle of water!! I have a feeling we wouldn't have seen prices like that at MB. ;)

So it seems again that Carnival has pressured those "businessmen" into adhering to "Carnival's" policy. It is not a case of Carnival "owning the property" as some have said

It wasn't pressure, it was capitalism at its best. The owner of the property initiated plans to develop a deep water dock for cruise ships. Carnival got wind of it and proposed to the owner that they would, for a 30 year lease, take over the development and construction of the facilities. I have heard numbers from 30 to 60 million $$ to complete the complex. Naturally the owner gets his continuing cut with no effort.

Interestingly, the 'Clip 'n Zip' zipline that adjoins the Mahogany Bay property is not owned or operated by Carnival or it's cohorts. It is another private owner taking advantage of a good business opportunity.

My wife and I can't wait for all of you to stop cruising with Carnival.

That way the cruise will be cheaper for us because after you stop the ship will not be full, hence cheaper rates to try and fill the ship.

All of you that are gripping here are the same ones that pay extra to eat in a different area than the free MDR. Get real, for one week you can eat in the MDR and not pay extra for the same steak. Carnival got you again.

Carnival protects it's on, if you are cruiseing with Carnival and book outside and the tour you booked rolls off the cliff who will you try to sue, not Carnival. No you booked your own tour, try to get money out of them.

You pay high prices for beer and such and you grip about Carnival stopping someone from coming into the port area.

Thats what America is based on, free enterprise and your choice not to cruise Carnival. LOL

Carnival protects it's on, if you are cruiseing with Carnival and book outside and the tour you booked rolls off the cliff who will you try to sue, not Carnival. No you booked your own tour, try to get money out of them.

Glad you said "try to sue". You likely know that all excursions booked thru Carnival are with "private tour operators" and Carnival has no liability for anything that happens while you are on the trip. There is a disclaimer when you book an excursion to this effect. Carnival wants you to go after the operator who likely has shallow pockets...not Carnival's deep pockets.

It is much like trying to sue Carnival for the troubles some had during the recent Splendor incident. The only person who will get any money are the lawyers. All the cruise lines have contracts that release them from liability for most of the calamities that you can think could happen on a cruise.

Good and typical businessmen, eh? :rolleyes::D

All of you that are gripping here are the same ones that pay extra to eat in a different area than the free MDR. Get real, for one week you can eat in the MDR and not pay extra for the same steak. Carnival got you again.

I wasn't griping, but I have to disagree with this statement. We've only eaten in the steakhouse once, but it was most definitely NOT the same steak that is served in the MDR. It was probably one of the best cuts of meat I've ever had -- not to mention the excellent service.

I wasn't griping, but I have to disagree with this statement. We've only eaten in the steakhouse once, but it was most definitely NOT the same steak that is served in the MDR. It was probably one of the best cuts of meat I've ever had -- not to mention the excellent service.

:) That was my experience as well. It's silly, but I have craved their filet mignon ever since!

I find it sad that Carnival makes their physically challenged passengers walk or be pushed up the slope. :(.

My family and I have taken many a Carnival booked excursion, as well a few we did on our own. I imagine many people have done the same as we have.

So, I find it shortsighted of Carnival to not be polite and courteous and provide transportation from the bottom of the hill to the top - and down again when needed. Who knows, this may be the one island out of the whole vacation when the people want to not use a Carnival excursion but have or will on the other port days.

Caring and goodwill go a long way in creating repeat customers.

Did a private tour in April out of Mohogany Bay. The hill is not as steep as people say. It's more of a small incline. It really is not bad at all. The privates know this and will help in anyway possible.

The stores within the dock are overpriced!!!

Carnival Corp. leases the dock, so all of the ships under the Corp. dock there: HAL, Princess, etc, besides a Carnival Ship.

Of course some people can't believe it. Standing argument b/t myself and Dad: "Holland owns Half Moon Bay" - Dad; "Well actually Carnival, (Corp.), owns it Dad" - me. :D

My wife and I can't wait for all of you to stop cruising with Carnival.

That way the cruise will be cheaper for us because after you stop the ship will not be full, hence cheaper rates to try and fill the ship.

You pay high prices for beer and such and you grip about Carnival stopping someone from coming into the port area.

Thats what America is based on, free enterprise and your choice not to cruise Carnival. LOL

It took 44 postings and I finally found one I agree with. We have taken private tours before but soon found out we liked booking our tours on the Carnival site before we go. We want stress free so we use their tours, and we always have a good time. It is nice that I can look forward to ES discounts when everyone boycotts Carnival. It would be nice if they would do it before the Magic launches so we could get some ES credit. Seems like all the people NOT sailing make no difference because the ships always sail full. We were sure glad we were on an excursion from Carnival when I tripped and fell and broke my hand. They treated my broken hand on the ship at absolutely no charge because I was on their excursion. That sold me on booking them. I told them my insurance would cover 100% on the ship and they never even billed my insurance.

Archived