NEED HELP What Bag To Carry With Small Children?

luvmylilangels

I am a first time cruiser who will be sailing on the Allure in March. I will have a just turned 27 month old(not potty trained), 5, and 11 year old. What kind of bags do you ladies carry to hold things like diapers, wipes, wallets, cameras etc. I would like to have something big enough but not so big it is overwhelming. And I would like something with some type of closure on top like a zipper so nothing falls out or keeps to pick pocketers(sp) out. I really don't want to carry a diaper bag around. So what would ya'll suggest that is stylish yet practical. Thanks!! :D

I would simply bring some sort of tote....put wallet on the bottom, under all the "baby stuff" and you won't have to worry about pickpockets!

I wouldn't worry about "stylish"....no one really cares!

I got a nice canvas tote at Target that's big enough for most "beach items", but not so big that it can't be carried around while shopping, too.

As a mom, you do NOT want to end up being the "pack mule" for your family, so something just the right size (not too big!) is key!

If we don't have the stroller, I use a backpack so my hands are free. If we have the stroller, I use a tote with handles long enough that it can hang on the stroller and water, snacks & amusements can also go in the basket of the stroller. In port, for money and a credit card, I carry a small purse that I wear across my body.

Best,

Mia

I am a big fan of the Vera Bradley backpack. It's compact, pretty, and leaves you in a hands-free situation. If you only have one kid in diapers, there's enough room for a few diapers and some wipes, as well as your wallet and some personal items. You could also fit a camera if it's small. It's too small if you have an infant and are carrying food, change of clothes, etc. But, for a two-year-old and the older kids, this could work for you. The older kids could carry their own stuff.

Be careful with a back pack. They are easy to pick, since you are always looking away when you have it on. I have a small black over the body bag for money. It is big enough for my money cards cell phone chap stick. I use this when ever I shop and when traveling. To carry what ever find a small back pack your hubby might carry lso. We found black backpacks that DH can carry when I am tired of keeping up with it. We have two sizes depending on what and where we are going. When I had something more stylish (read feminine) I would end up always carrying it and of course everyone’s stuff ended up in it. I agree with not being the family pack animal. The heavier it get the more likely DH will get it.

Definitely a backpack for all the kids' stuff, and to be hands-free, and any size you are comfortable with, and any brand. But as one poster said, do not put valuble in it. Get a small across -the -chest travel bag, for money, credit cards, and keys. That way they are always available to you without having to swing your backpack to your front side, and maneuver for things.

• 5 weeks later...

A back-pack is just a handy thing to carry. You can also make the 11 year old take a turn carrying it. If you have a stroller, it can go underneath, or fit on the stoller handles.

Remmeber, if you want it for excursions, only factory sealed food can be taken off ship. Those packets of gold-fish work great.

Archived