Lisinipril Cough

CruzCouple

I want to thank LEGALLADY60 and DEVORA for the comments they made about Lisinipril in a thread about coughing on cruises a couple of weeks ago. I too was taking Lisinipril for high blood pressure (it works fine) and I also had a nagging cough for months that would just not go away. I mentioned hearing about a connection between the meds and the cough to my doctor and he said it was a known side effect and changed my prescription. It has only been a few days but already I see a big difference.

Maybe the lesson is to speak more freely with my doctor - but the truth is, I don't go to the doctor any more often than I absolutely have to and usually just focus on the matter at hand. And I never would have tied a blood pressure med to a cough without first reading about it here on Cruise Critic.

So, thank you, thank you, thank you.

I want to thank LEGALLADY60 and DEVORA for the comments they made about Lisinipril in a thread about coughing on cruises a couple of weeks ago. I too was taking Lisinipril for high blood pressure (it works fine) and I also had a nagging cough for months that would just not go away. I mentioned hearing about a connection between the meds and the cough to my doctor and he said it was a known side effect and changed my prescription. It has only been a few days but already I see a big difference.

Maybe the lesson is to speak more freely with my doctor - but the truth is, I don't go to the doctor any more often than I absolutely have to and usually just focus on the matter at hand. And I never would have tied a blood pressure med to a cough without first reading about it here on Cruise Critic.

So, thank you, thank you, thank you.

I started the thread, so I am going to take some credit too!!! LOL!

So glad you were able to speak with the doctor, and get good results.

FWIW....my cough is not related to BP meds, but it is clinging to me like bloody glue....into my 5th week, some better, but no all clear yet! So glad I cancelled this week's cruise!

In fact, I was/am half planning a Dec. 11th Eclipse, and I doubt I will make that one either.....still on reducing amounts of prednisone and Dr. not crazy about me travelling while on it.....some nonsense about possibility of a spontaneous broken hip!!! Yikes!

Just having a moan here, along with my glass of wine!

Sheila.

We also recall that interesting Lisinopril thread. Like the others we are on that Med. When my physician put me on the drug he spent some time talking about the potential "Lisinopril Caugh" and told me that if I develop that side effect he would change the med. So far, no cough :)

Hank

hancock - I too am a stubborn DH, it took me 6 months after DW suggested I talk to the doctor.

Mabers - you are right, thanks for the thread. We board for our cruise in about 40 hours. This couldn't have been more timely for us. I hope your next cruise comes soon. Cheers!

lady - my cough was worse at night.

Just to be clear: Do not stop taking your meds! Talk to your doctor.

Of course we're all different, but I too had the lisinopril cough--Dr. switched me to Cozaar--no more cough!

Happy cruising!

JTSpitfire

I must be a side effect poster child! I had the Lisinopril cough which was miserable. Cozaar got in my joints and made it almost impossible to walk...started taking Amlodpine and swelled up...couldn't even get my rings off after losing 30 pounds. I'm having issues now with the newest one, Hydrochlorothiazide and having terrible joint pain. Going to call my doctor to see what we can do about this one.

Archived