Westin Diplomat - Pros and Cons??

cruisingbarb

I'm seeing a lot of people are staying at the Westin Diplomat in the Hollywood area. Are there restaurants and shopping nearby? How far to the cruise ship area? Do they have a shuttle or do you need to get a cab from the airport to the hotel and hotel to the cruise dock? How much should a cab cost? We're going to be there two nights so any suggestions of what to do in the immediate area?

Or would we be better off in the Las Olas/Downtown area? Any thoughts?

It's a nice looking property, and has been seen on Hotwire for under $100/night (except of course, for the night we are looking at LOL). I doubt they have a free shuttle to either the airport or pier, as they are about 5 miles south of both. If I could get it for the deals I have seen, I would book this place in a heartbeat, but I'm likely looking at the airport area now.

The hotel is further than 5 miles from FLL and the port (closer to 10). A taxi would cost about $30 each way. If you don't have a car you won't have as many dining choices as Las Olas/downtown, but there are restaurants on the premises and the resort is nicer than anything you will find in the Las Olas/downtown area.

The Hollywood Beach broadwalk is 5 minutes away by taxi. There is plenty to do there ... rent bikes, walk/run, beach time, and lots of little restaurants. Across the street from the beach are good restaurants ... Giorgio's Bakery, Billy's Stone Crab, Taverna Opa, and Le Tub. Check out this site for more info: http://www.visithollywoodfl.org/hollywoodbeachbroadwalk.aspx

I can't think of any cons of staying at the Diplomat. I'd lounge by the pool for two days and maybe walk down to Le Tub one evening (you'll need the walk back). The Broadwalk is walkable distance. I'm thinking about a half mile?

I haven't eaten there since it has become The Landing Restaurant but the view is incredible and sitting at the outside bar is a treat. Directly across the street from the hotel on the Intracoastal Waterway. Fun to sit and watch.

I can't think of any cons of staying at the Diplomat. I'd lounge by the pool for two days and maybe walk down to Le Tub one evening (you'll need the walk back). The Broadwalk is walkable distance. I'm thinking about a half mile?

I haven't eaten there since it has become The Landing Restaurant but the view is incredible and sitting at the outside bar is a treat. Directly across the street from the hotel on the Intracoastal Waterway. Fun to sit and watch.

Stayed there last month and enjoyed the wonderful restaurant/bar poolside as well as had a late lunch/early supper before heading to the airport to catch our 8:00 p.m. flight home at the Rivals Sports Bar across the street. Sat outside to eat, enjoyed the weather and watched the yatchs sail by! Oh, it's nice to dream. LOVED the hotel and the wonderful free upgrade to a corner suite with a 40' balcony. Want to return here for a longer stay some day. In the meantime, I better keep working!:rolleyes:

Archived