mariner, Jan 11, FLL-Lima weather

old grump

It is a bit difficult to answer your questions. We are on the same cruise and find some areas difficult to locate (via Google). This is the best I have been able to find so far:

1. Aruba: high 85 degrees low 76 degrees (rainy season)

2. Curacao: 84 degrees high, low 76 (low rain)

3. Cartagena: High 88, low 73 (low rain)

4, Guayaquil: High 98.6, low 69.8 (very rainy)

5. Salaverry: High 77, low 74

6. Manta: Good weather (no clue what this means)

7. Lima: January - March is wet season. 84 high, 70 low

We are planning for HOT, HUMID, WET weather. Aside from excursions, I'll be in the most air conditioned part of the ship:rolleyes:

I have some input about Ecuador that I hope you all will find helpful.

I have spent time in Ecuador on a couple of occasions because we have an Ecuadorian family with whom we're very close. They live in Guayaquil, and I will tell you that I have never been so hot and sweaty in all my life than the times I've visited. You will be there during the rainy season, but the rain typically comes and goes quickly.

Also, Guayaquil is considered the "sophisticated" city to Ecuadorians with means, and while there is a lively social scene among locals (which you would obviously not get to experience being there for only a day), it is not a particularly pretty city. You can, however, buy gorgeous flowers arrangements for dirt cheap.

Quito and Cuenca are far more beautiful (and the weather far more pleasant). I noted that there is an excursion on your cruise that flies a charter to Cuenca. I highly recommend this one rather than the ones that remain in Guayaquil. Cuenca and the countryside (the Andes) is really gorgeous.

For shopping, you can buy hand-knitted sweaters from the natives for next to nothing. It's really sinful. And buy a real Panama hat while in Ecuador (that's where they originated and where they're made--not in Panama). You'll be able to roll it up for packing.

Also, a little weather strangeness story--we were in the Galapagos Islands about ten years ago, and it was so chilly we had to buy sweatshirts. Go figure. The equator?

That's all I've got. Oh wait, and don't be misled by Aruba's "delightful trade winds." It's downright windy, and I mean hot desert-type wind.

Martha (or Gurvis)....I'm as confused as you are :confused:

I have never had such a difficult time planning what to pack and as far as shopping for some new clothes.....I can't even begin to think what to look for!

We joined the Mariner in Lima two years ago. Lima has about 9 months a year of strange weather, and january falls into this time. They get a low cloud and rarely see the sun (so our Lima friends told us). when we were there the temperatures were pleasant especially for sightseeing. around 22-25C about. Also according to our friends it hardly ever rains in Lima. It wasn't hot at all and we had no possibility of getting sun burnt 'cos we never saw the sun except up in Cusco and only then when it wasn't raining. (And it was too cold to sunbathe there anyway!)

Lima is nothing like south Arkansas, Old Grump. It was rather weird. Never saw the sun, but did not rain. Just kind of overcast all the time. Temp was about 70 during the day, so very pleasant. Ecuador will be humid I suspect, and pretty warm, but again not as hot as south Arkansas in the summer. We actually thought the weather there was quite pleasant. (I grew up in northwest Arkansas and did residency for 4 years in LR so have some expertise in this area. Where do y'all live?)

We live in El Dorado, almost on the border. I was actually referring to the weather prior to arriving in Lima, but did't make myself clear. I spent a lot of time in Quito back when I worked for a living. Nice city, nice country, blessed with lots of natural resources, but also lots of corruption.

Hey Gurvis! I'm really happy to see this thread started. I've been wondering the same thing (and wondering where you've been!!). As Jackie has reported and I've discovered via Internet, it will be hot & humid in SA in Jan, so I'm packing mostly summer stuff with a couple of sweaters tossed in for evenings (and for DH a couple of sports jackets over his golf shirts). I'm especially happy to hear about Cuenca - we're booked on that charter tour flight - yessss! :D. (Thanks mimoto4! Just hope the aircraft is safe...)

Remind me to tell you about the time Martha and I were on a tour flight in New england. The plane, about 9 pax cap, was completely full and had one pilot, a very nice looking lady. As luck would have it I was in the co-pilot seat and the first thing she said(over the mike) was "keep your hands to youself". The tour went downhill from there!

We live in El Dorado, almost on the border. I was actually referring to the weather prior to arriving in Lima, but did't make myself clear. I spent a lot of time in Quito back when I worked for a living. Nice city, nice country, blessed with lots of natural resources, but also lots of corruption.

Old Grumpy - Everyone seems very concerned about the weather. I'd be more concerned about wallets and purses when in that part of the world. I was with a small group touring Peru and Ecuador and staying in all the best places - 4/5 star hotels. Last night in a 5 star in Ecuador we all left our rooms for a last banquet. One of our party suddenly jumped up and left complaining he had left his wallet and passport behind and they were well hidden in a closet. We had only been gone 15 minutes and one of the hotel 'security staff" had already cleaned him out of $600, credit cards, and his passport. The victim had seen the back of a man hurrying away and reported it to the our travel representative at the table. To prosecute, our victim was told, meant staying behind and spending several weeks in a dark ages court. He managed to fly out with us and we were wiser for the experience. Yes, do bring an umbrella . . . JM

I'm happy to report that our experience in Ecuador was nothing like reported here, happy we were on the Mariner and not doing a land trip !

In Manta, we went on the bright colored Chivas bus decorated with balloons which was so fun. There's local musicians playing on top of the open aired bus and you drive about a half hour each way to a village for local shopping and everyone comes out waving at you. It's like being in a parade. You have to experience it yourself but it was a lot of fun!!

Old Grumpy - Everyone seems very concerned about the weather. I'd be more concerned about wallets and purses when in that part of the world. I was with a small group touring Peru and Ecuador and staying in all the best places - 4/5 star hotels. Last night in a 5 star in Ecuador we all left our rooms for a last banquet. One of our party suddenly jumped up and left complaining he had left his wallet and passport behind and they were well hidden in a closet. We had only been gone 15 minutes and one of the hotel 'security staff" had already cleaned him out of $600, credit cards, and his passport. The victim had seen the back of a man hurrying away and reported it to the our travel representative at the table. To prosecute, our victim was told, meant staying behind and spending several weeks in a dark ages court. He managed to fly out with us and we were wiser for the experience. Yes, do bring an umbrella . . . JM

This will be our third time in this part of the world. We have traveled overland and on cruises the first two times. We have never had a problem, but we never leave anything of value hidden in the closet or luggage in the hotel room...things can be stolen in any hotel anywhere in the world including in your home country.

When we were in Equador and Peru in March several years ago it was fogy on the coast in the mornings becoming warm to hot and humid with some sun in the PM. The mountainous areas were cooler and wet. The bigest problem for me is we are so use to A/C to help control the humidity in the buildings! This was not the case in most of the buildings there so we looked like a wet noodle most of the time.

This was not the case in most of the buildings there so we looked like a wet noodle most of the time.

This trip should be interesting. I'm like the witch in the Wizard of Oz that melted when water was poured on her. That's what happens to me when it's hot and humid. At least I'll be easy to recognize. . . . I'll be the puddle on the sidewalk:eek:

It goes without saying almost, but never ever leave valuables (money, jewelry, passports, etc) unsecured anywhere, whether in the US or abroad. They either need to be on your person in a safe place or in a safe. We do leave our cameras and computers out on board Regent ships, but I would not leave them out in a hotel room ever, anywhere! "Hidden" in a closet is about the first place a thief would look.

This trip should be interesting. I'm like the witch in the Wizard of Oz that melted when water was poured on her. That's what happens to me when it's hot and humid. At least I'll be easy to recognize. . . . I'll be the puddle on the sidewalk:eek:

Not to worry.....I can "mop up" the puddle that will be you, with the straw broom that will be my hair after the humid frizz sets in :rolleyes:

I'd be the puddle next to Jackie. :eek:

I'm a bit concerned about the security of our luggage for the final day touring in Lima before we fly out. Our luggage will be in the tour vehicle with us, but we're worried about computer, other electronics, jewellery, etc, that will be in our carry-on bags during the day, when we're off at various stops. Small stuff can be carried in our backpacks - but we're not lugging a laptop computer & chargers around all day. Sure hope our tour guide/driver is reliable and trustworthy! Anyone have any experience with this in Lima?

I'm a bit concerned about the security of our luggage for the final day touring in Lima before we fly out. Our luggage will be in the tour vehicle with us, but we're worried about computer, other electronics, jewellery, etc, that will be in our carry-on bags during the day, when we're off at various stops. Small stuff can be carried in our backpacks - but we're not lugging a laptop computer & chargers around all day. Sure hope our tour guide/driver is reliable and trustworthy! Anyone have any experience with this in Lima?

We did a four day private land tour in 2007 to MP with a full day touring in Lima before we boarded the ship. Our luggage was stored in Lima by the tour company while we were traveling to MP and back then in the back of the car with us the whole day we were in Lima. We had a driver and guide. We left everything in the car. The driver stayed with the car and, of course, the guide went with us to the sites and on the shopping stop. We didn't ever feel uncomfortable at any of the stops. Lima is a big modern city. The sites are in well maintained developed areas.

Will you be in a big group bus or with just several others? If it is a recommended driver and guide set up it should be fine.

I don't recall if you have Regent air or not. If you do, you and your luggage will be dropped off at a hotel that has a day room. Your luggage will be safe there all day. We had a similiar situation in Rio last year (late departure) and were glad that our luggage was being well taken care of. We were even concerned about carrying our passports. I purchased a leg pocket (not sure what it is called). It fit around my leg. . . under my slacks and held my passport, credit cards and some cash. I also had a credit card, etc. in my pocket that was secured by a safety pin. You should be fine.

We do have Regent air (with a deviation), but they never said anything about taking us to a hotel with day-room for the day in Lima. In fact, we are doing a private tour for just us and Gurvis & Martha (oldgrump), since Linda had to drop out. And we've arranged for our own airport hotel day-room after the tour. It's thru a local tour company - but I got the impression it was just a driver/guide, only 1 person. I could be wrong, maybe there is a guide and a driver. The tour co. owner said our bags would stay in the vehicle with us, I'm just not too comfortable about how secure that is. Guess there's not much we can do about it in any case. except hope for the best.

When we have traveled in Peru and also in Chile with private guides, they have also sent a separate driver, even though most times this was not specified in the arrangements. So I would check with the tour company you have reservations with. I just bet you have a separate driver even though you don't know it. And it would be fine to leave your things in the van with him.

That was what I was thinking too. Parking is a problem in Lima. The driver makes seeing the sites so easy...ours just circled around after dropping us off. The guide called him with our location when we were ready to move on and he was there in a minute or two to collect us and move on.

We do have Regent air (with a deviation), but they never said anything about taking us to a hotel with day-room for the day in Lima. In fact, we are doing a private tour for just us and Gurvis & Martha (oldgrump), since Linda had to drop out. And we've arranged for our own airport hotel day-room after the tour. It's thru a local tour company - but I got the impression it was just a driver/guide, only 1 person. I could be wrong, maybe there is a guide and a driver. The tour co. owner said our bags would stay in the vehicle with us, I'm just not too comfortable about how secure that is. Guess there's not much we can do about it in any case. except hope for the best.

Think you may want to double check with your TA (or maybe someone else in the group whose TA isn't on vacation:o) about the day room. Regent is aware that all the flights are late at night and usually provides this for their guests. Even though you have a private tour, etc., the day room would be a perfect place for your luggage. Actually, I'll try to contact my TA and see if they know.

Nanook21...Haven't you received your travel doc from the TA yet? Ours gave us all that kind info. We lost the airport-hotel transfer when we did our deviation since we opted to fly a day early, but will have all the other transfers.

I have called Regent direct with a couple of questions I have had also..so you could do that too.

Archived