2 Carry-on Bags

1937olds

I used this system the last time I cruised for a week and found it worked great! I actually had a little more in my carry on than this gentleman. I was a serious overpacker because I would try and overthink every possible situation I could be in as far as my needs. I now make a list, look at it and decide what I really can live without. What I found is Woolite is amazing, samples are amazing to hold on to, I wear my bathing suit and cover up a lot and I did too much changing of clothing....3 or 4 hours in an outfit is not long enough to get it dirty....it's not like being at work all day in the same thing.

By the way, wrinkles doing it this way are minimal....it beats the old way I did it which was by rolling.

Thank you for posting that! I had read about it but didn't understand HOW to do it. We have to pack for 3 weeks so I'm DEFINITELY going to try this!!! Thanks again!

We bring one checked luggage and one carry-on per person. That is for a 2-3 week vacation. We were able to do carry on only a couple of weeks ago but that was for a 3 night cruise and one where we were told in advance that there would be no formal night (but found out there would be one once we boarded).

We were on Azamara Quest earlier this year on a 14 night cruise which started with a land trip in Bejing. We had our standard 27" piece of luggage per person and 16" roller (which has met the guidelines on over 10 airlines) and DH's back-pack.

On the way home we ran into some women in the Singapore airport who was apparently on the ship with us. She was traveling solo and had one bag over her shoulder (well actually two since she had filled the tote from the cruise line). She said she never checked any luggage and that was what the sinks were made for....She had so little with her that she obviously had not made any purchases along the way, probably had no make-up (since she did not appear to be wearing any), and most certainly could not have fit more than 2 or 3 outfits in her small duffle. She had less than what she was actually allowed to bring inside the cabin of the plane.

We haven't managed to get it down to two carry ons but we did do a 14-day Alaska cruise (complete with parkas and hiking boots) with a medium duffle bag and a small carry (purse/small backpack) on each!

And we do attend formal nights! DH rents his tux and shoes from the cruiseline. I take a long black skirt and two sparkly tops. I usually only take 3-4 pairs of shoes (1 dress pair to get me through all dinners, 1 pair of sneakers, 1 pair of flip flops).

As someone else said, we change 2-3 times a day so we do a little mixing and matching. No one has ever stopped to say that we were wearing that top/pair of pants/etc. the other day.:D We do bring enough socks and underwear so that we don't have to wash anything.

That video should make it even easier to get it down to an even smaller bag!

:p I appreciate your list, but still can't believe that you can get all of this in one carry-on. You seem to have covered everything, but what about stripping everything off when you go through airport security-all your layers? I would really like to treavel light, but never manage to. My husband fell and broke his hip in August and he is not able to tote everything like he use to.

For last year's 12 day (November) Mediterranean cruise with 3 days pre-cruise and 1 post cruise in Barcelona I traveled with one 19 inch carry-on that weighed 17 pounds and a personal item (about the size of a laptop bag).

I actually pack basically the same for 4 days or 4 weeks.

Before I learned to travel light I had luggage show up on various trips

-after I returned home,

-with 3 days delay,

-after spending the night "lost" on the tarmac during a heavy rain

-permanently lost

Once I realized that I usually wear my work clothes at least twice between dry cleaning I started feeling better about wearing the same thing twice in one week. And no one really cares what I wear but me, so as long as I'm comfortable, why should anyone else care that I wore something before?

A black skirt or even docker type pants will be okay for formal night with a glittery or dressy top. Guys wear the same tux twice - why can't I wear the same thing twice?

Silk scarves take no room and can totally change the appearance of an outfit

To wash your hand laundry use a large zip lock bag with a laundry sheet or powdered detergent.

Wear your coat, sweater, jeans and heavier items when boarding. I'm always cold on a plane, so even in warm weather I bring a jacket or heavy sweater.

Take small electronics (ipod, camera, cell phone, chargers, travel powerstrip, kindle e-reader) in your pockets.

Wear your heavier walking shoes, pack light weight sandals that can work for evening and leave the rest of your shoes at home

Those little containers that you get with make-up purchases are just the right size for a 1 - 2 week trip - never take full-sized cosmetics!

I appreciate this is not the way everyone likes to travel, but it certainly works for me!

Sticking to a packing list is essential to prevent cramming last minute stuff in.

Here's mine:

IN CARRY-ON:

Wrinkle-resistant CLOTHING

4-5 shirts/blouses/tops

2-4 pairs slacks/skirts/shorts

2 pairs socks; 2 pair knee-highs

6 pairs underwear

gym shorts and tank top

nightgown

2 swimsuits

beach cover-up

pashmina

3 silk scarves

1 pair dressy sandals

flip-flops

Travel kit

safety pins, rubber bands, duct tape wrapped around pen

travel sewing kit

Ziploc plastic bags -sandwich and quart sizes

X-large ziplock bag for laundry

toothbrush, cap, tooth cleaner, floss

razor, nail clippers, tweezers

comb and hairbrush

eyeshadow, powder

First aid pouch

Excedrin migraine, Imodium, Zantac, vitamins, meds

insect repellent wipes

SPF15 lip balm

bandaids, moleskin blister protection

spare glasses,

lens cleaning wipes

TSA liquids

makeup (travel size, samples, "gift-sized"),

lip gloss, lipstick

3 oz tube of sunblock

travel size shampoo & conditioner

travel size deodorant

detergent sheet, spot remover

hand sanitizer

In PERSONAL ITEM and/or POCKETS:

flashlight or night light

inflatable travel pillow

antibacterial wipes

travel mug

eye mask.

ear plugs

pen, small notebook

KINDLE with books, maps, guidebooks, phrase books, restaurant lists, telephone access numbers

camera, extra cards & batteries, charger, cable to view on TV

cell phone and charger

travel powerstrip, plug adapter

ipod, earphones

umbrella

snorkle and mask

Security Passport Pouch and wrist wallet

passport, extra passport photos

copies of important documents, (international?) driver's license

health and travel insurance information

travel tickets

charge & ATM cards,

cash

All this really does fit in one bag and weigh less than 17 pounds.

I eliminated a shopping bag sized second bag when I got my kindle - I used to bring 4 or 5 books plus travel guides and maps, and copies of all kinds of papers that I now load on the kindle.

I agree with those who complain about people with too large or too many carry-ons. The rules should be applied equally to all. But it is personal choice to determine what you need to enjoy a vacation. 2 to 4 outfits a day with shoes to match each outfit does not make me happy.

I used this system the last time I cruised for a week and found it worked great! I actually had a little more in my carry on than this gentleman. I was a serious overpacker because I would try and overthink every possible situation I could be in as far as my needs. I now make a list, look at it and decide what I really can live without. What I found is Woolite is amazing, samples are amazing to hold on to, I wear my bathing suit and cover up a lot and I did too much changing of clothing....3 or 4 hours in an outfit is not long enough to get it dirty....it's not like being at work all day in the same thing.

By the way, wrinkles doing it this way are minimal....it beats the old way I did it which was by rolling.

This is great, I can't wait to try it. It looks like he had male & female clothes in the same bag.

That is a very good video. Here's a web site with even more info on bundle wrapping clothing around a core. http://www.onebag.com/pack.html

I've used this method for a long time for business travel, and I can tell you it works great. Sometimes you might pack an item incorrectly and wind up with a wrinkle or crease, but you learn from your mistakes and get it right the next time. Over time you get an idea of how the bundle feels as it's coming together and you instinctively know if something isn't right. For someone who's never done it before, I suggest packing a case or bag for practice, put it away for a couple of days, then unpack & see how things look as they come out. Do that a couple of times, and you'll be an expert by the time you're ready to do the real thing.

That is a very good video. Here's a web site with even more info on bundle wrapping clothing around a core. http://www.onebag.com/pack.html

I've used this method for a long time for business travel, and I can tell you it works great. Sometimes you might pack an item incorrectly and wind up with a wrinkle or crease, but you learn from your mistakes and get it right the next time. Over time you get an idea of how the bundle feels as it's coming together and you instinctively know if something isn't right. For someone who's never done it before, I suggest packing a case or bag for practice, put it away for a couple of days, then unpack & see how things look as they come out. Do that a couple of times, and you'll be an expert by the time you're ready to do the real thing.

I don't understand how the wrapping around the core works. I've read that article and don't get it.

Yes, but saying it is 60 days of clothing is assuming a bit of laundry along the way. Not many dressy or smart casual clothing there, no shorts, no swim wear, I actually didn't see any socks or underwear. Of course you do get a personal item also. It does look like a good supplement to a checked bag. There is a lot of necessary stuff we take that is simply going to require more room.

Of course if we had to travel light we could, but why? We're on a cruise vacation, not a safari.

I used this system the last time I cruised for a week and found it worked great!...

That is a very good video. Here's a web site with even more info on bundle wrapping clothing around a core. http://www.onebag.com/pack.html ...

These two systems are similar and provide a new way of packing efficiently. Thank you to both of you for the links.

I don't understand how the wrapping around the core works. I've read that article and don't get it.

Did you open the diagram on the page, and did you look at the You Tube video originall posted by islandgirlejfan? It seems a little odd at first, but believe me it works great. Incidentally, you can build the bundle outside the bag, but I find it easier just to start inside the bag. That makes it easier to determine when & where to place the core - you need to place the core when the stack is a little over half the height of the bag itself, and then start folding & wrapping.

One key is to pack in such a way that the items that need to be absolutely wrinkle-free (sport coat, jacket, etc) are on the outside of the bundle. That means you put them down first and then place other items over them, alternating how the lwgs of trousers and the sleeves of shirts are facing. Once the core is placed, you begin folding things around the core. The last items folded (sport coat, jacket, etc), are being wound ardound the bulk of the core, so they have the gentlest curves.

The core can be a number of things. My laptop is often my core, because I also carry an Ipad or notebook outside the luggage. But the core can also be a plastic bag or two (one-gallon size), filled with rolled up sox, underwear, swimwear, etc. The core item(s) can be anything that provides enough struture to begin wrapping the other items around. It can even be a couple of pair of shoes. Also, even though the bundle is snug, there's usually room around its perimeter to stuff in additional rolled up items.

And ORV is right - this won't work for everybody. But regardless of the length of the trip or number of items you need, the method itself will optimize the use of whatever luggage you carry.

Yes, but saying it is 60 days of clothing is assuming a bit of laundry along the way. Not many dressy or smart casual clothing there, no shorts, no swim wear, I actually didn't see any socks or underwear. Of course you do get a personal item also. It does look like a good supplement to a checked bag. There is a lot of necessary stuff we take that is simply going to require more room.

Of course if we had to travel light we could, but why? We're on a cruise vacation, not a safari.

It may not be for everyone, but this works for me. I found for myself that I ended up taking far more than I ever wore. I was actually bringing clean clothing home. All I really need is a pair of walking/athletic shoes, a pair of dressy sandals and a pair of flip flops where shoes are concerned. I wear the athletic shoes on the plane because of their bulk and pack the other two. I have something close to the Baggalini bag the gentleman uses in the video which I totally LOVE! I could actually take another pair of shoes, but I chose to pack other things in that space.

All of us have had bad luggage experiences.....I bought a brand new Liz Claiborne bag and took it to New Zealand with me and when it got there, it looked like it had been through a war. I just bought a Liz duffel that the baggage gorillas pulverized much the same way. Then of course there is nothing like having your luggage lost. I personally like dealing with my own stuff now because of these sorts of things.

The system can be used for anything you want to pack. The video is only an example. Like I said when I posted the link, I use my pouches in front of my bag for smaller things such as underwear, swimwear and hosiery items. I also get everything that I want to take into the bag using this method. I took my slacks, shorts, blouses, cocktail dresses, capris and exercise items. If you don't feel like you can lessen your apparel, you could just pack one large bag if you were traveling with another and pack the formal/bulky items and check it through only paying one bag fee opposed to paying for two. I prefer to save my hard earned money for the cruise and not hand it to the airlines....but again, that's just me. :)

I'll leave everyone with this....if you thought the first one was incredible, my hubby found this one the other day while surfing the web.....this video will frighten you! :p:D

http://www.bing.com/videos/watch/video/packing-a-small-bag/20dokkij?q=packing+in+a+small+bag&FROM=LKVR5&GT1=LKVR5&FORM=LKVR1

Interesting but I think I prefer the Modern Butlers' version in the link I posted because you can more easily withdraw single items on the pre- and post-cruise legs of the trip. Think I may try this method for rapid packing for the journey home.

Sue

All of you posters that claim you only take 2 carry on bags for a 10 day, 2 night formal cruise, PLEASE :confused: tell me exactly what you pack for clothing. I for the life of me can't figure out how you can do it. I do not like paying extra for the bags on the airline, but if you send your clothes out to be washed daily, where is the savings? How many pairs of shoes, underware, pj's, shorts, shirts, swim suits, socks, etc.

I've been doing this for years. It takes planning. Shop your closet. Make a list of where/when (season)/what (you will be doing). Lay out everything you think you want to take on your bed & make outfits.

Myformal wear is a wonderfully packable Eillen Fisher Black Silk crepe pant with 4 different tops & a pr of black Ann Taylor dressy sandals,Ann Taylor dressy silver evening cardigan & a few pashminasDay wear= 3 prs of pants ( NYDJ) 1 of which is worn on the flight and 5 cotton T-shirts ( mix of Ann Taylor & Nordstrom Caslon brand).Underwear is 5-7 prs panties, 2 bras- black & nude . Bathing suit & coverup-note flip flops are also used as bedroom slippers. One pr walking shoes. Add a cardigan or 2. Use space bags, packing system from Flt001. Handbags are 1 evening clutch,1 large handbag (placed inside my tote for the plane). Makeup is packed except for the 311 items. Also I use a "Seat Pak" from Flt001 for odds & ends I want to reach during my flights-perfectly organizes documents-tks,passports etc as well as my camera, journal,pens.

Carole

In the past I simply grabbed clothes from my closet the night before leaving, taking everything I could get my hands on. Eventually I noticed that I only wore about 30-40% of what I brought.

Now I pack a 21" rollaboard, my wife packs a 24" duffel, and, we sometimes share a garment bag (if I bring my Tux). I have more than enough clothes to wear throughout a 10 day cruise, and, do minimal washing of clothes. I have some lightweight briefs from Ex-Officio that I wash when I'm in the shower every morning - they are dry by dinner time. I also have the lightweight golf shirts & t-shirts, they are wrinkle free and dry quickly as well. If need be, I'll send some clothes out to laundry, which is still cheaper than checking a bag round trip and much less of a hassle.

As noted by other people here, a packing list is critical, as is the packing method. I spend time carefully constructing a list of what to pack. I make the list based on what I may wear each day & evening, being careful to list items that could easily be mixed & matched for the evenings.

:eek: One other thing that I do that drives my DW absolutely crazy - I trial pack. Yes, I do trial runs of packing my clothes to make sure they fit, and, the weight isn't out of hand. Once I know what fits I'll update the list, adding or subtracting as needed until I'm happy.

I also use packing cubes, as I love the organization they provide.

A key rule for packing is, if you're not sure if you'll need it then you don't. Keep in mind, you're not going to a deserted island, if you forgot something, you can buy it when you get there. We used to pack sunscreen, contact lens solution, etc - now we simply buy them when we get there. The savings from not checking a bag makes up for the cost of buying them there. Usually we can find a local drugstore where the cost is just about the same as buying them locally, if there is any leftover, we leave it in the cabin.

Two sites that I found really helpful:

Flyertalk.com - great tips on packing, and what luggage is the 'best'

One Bag One World Lot's of packing videos, tips on packing, luggage, etc...

You'll find the folks there very helpful when it comes to packing - they have tips, videos, and, on-going discussion about a variety of travel related topics.

Why do I pack this way, because I can, and, I find it less stressful. I always have my bag with me, and, I am mobile when I get there, not having to shlep 4-5 bags around the airport, etc...

After all, I'm on holiday, why wouldn't I pack light?

This is my list from last year's 10 day cruise, slightly modified for this year (it's a bit more than usually, but, I'm feeling like I want to spice up my outfits a bit this time around)?

Clothes

1. 1 pair of shoes (wear on flight)
  2. 1 black jacket
  3. 3 dress shirts (wear one)
  4. 2 dress slacks
  5. 1 pair khaki pants (wear)
  6. 3 ties (various colors, designs)
  7. 2 Print aka Hawaiian shirts
  8. 1 belt (wear)
  9. 4 pair black socks (wear one)
  10. 4 Ex-Officio underwear (wear one)
  11. 2 Polo/Golf shirts
  12. 4 Target C9 t-shirts
  13. 1 or 2 print t-shirts
  14. 1 white long sleeve shirt (for beach and pool)
  15. 1 pair Teva water sandals
  16. 1 pair flip-flops
  17. 3 swim trunks
  18. 1 cap
  19. 1 Tilley hat

Other Items in a couple of ziplock bags

1. camera,charger, extra battery,
  2. cell phone & charger
  3. toothbrush
  4. razor
  5. spare glasses
  6. kindle & charger
  7. short extension cord
  8. pocket 1st aid kit (size of a small wallet)
  9. duct tape
  10. extra ziplock bags

3-1-1 ziplock

• shaving cream (travel size)
  • deodorant (travel size)
  • hand sanitizer (travel size)
  • Downey wrinkle release (travel size)
  • super glue
  • toothpaste (travel size)
  • floss (this stuff is handy)
  • very small tube sunscreen (<1oz) for my face mostly

In the past I simply grabbed clothes from my closet the night before leaving, taking everything I could get my hands on. Eventually I noticed that I only wore about 30-40% of what I brought.

Now I pack a 21" rollaboard, my wife packs a 24" duffel, and, we sometimes share a garment bag (if I bring my Tux). I have more than enough clothes to wear throughout a 10 day cruise, and, do minimal washing of clothes. I have some lightweight briefs from Ex-Officio that I wash when I'm in the shower every morning - they are dry by dinner time. I also have the lightweight golf shirts & t-shirts, they are wrinkle free and dry quickly as well. If need be, I'll send some clothes out to laundry, which is still cheaper than checking a bag round trip and much less of a hassle.

As noted by other people here, a packing list is critical, as is the packing method. I spend time carefully constructing a list of what to pack. I make the list based on what I may wear each day & evening, being careful to list items that could easily be mixed & matched for the evenings.

:eek: One other thing that I do that drives my DW absolutely crazy - I trial pack. Yes, I do trial runs of packing my clothes to make sure they fit, and, the weight isn't out of hand. Once I know what fits I'll update the list, adding or subtracting as needed until I'm happy.

I also use packing cubes, as I love the organization they provide.

A key rule for packing is, if you're not sure if you'll need it then you don't. Keep in mind, you're not going to a deserted island, if you forgot something, you can buy it when you get there. We used to pack sunscreen, contact lens solution, etc - now we simply buy them when we get there. The savings from not checking a bag makes up for the cost of buying them there. Usually we can find a local drugstore where the cost is just about the same as buying them locally, if there is any leftover, we leave it in the cabin.

Two sites that I found really helpful:

Flyertalk.com - great tips on packing, and what luggage is the 'best'

One Bag One World Lot's of packing videos, tips on packing, luggage, etc...

You'll find the folks there very helpful when it comes to packing - they have tips, videos, and, on-going discussion about a variety of travel related topics.

Why do I pack this way, because I can, and, I find it less stressful. I always have my bag with me, and, I am mobile when I get there, not having to shlep 4-5 bags around the airport, etc...

After all, I'm on holiday, why wouldn't I pack light?

This is my list from last year's 10 day cruise, slightly modified for this year (it's a bit more than usually, but, I'm feeling like I want to spice up my outfits a bit this time around)?

Clothes

1. 1 pair of shoes (wear on flight)
  2. 1 black jacket
  3. 3 dress shirts (wear one)
  4. 2 dress slacks
  5. 1 pair khaki pants (wear)
  6. 3 ties (various colors, designs)
  7. 2 Print aka Hawaiian shirts
  8. 1 belt (wear)
  9. 4 pair black socks (wear one)
  10. 4 Ex-Officio underwear (wear one)
  11. 2 Polo/Golf shirts
  12. 4 Target C9 t-shirts
  13. 1 or 2 print t-shirts
  14. 1 white long sleeve shirt (for beach and pool)
  15. 1 pair Teva water sandals
  16. 1 pair flip-flops
  17. 3 swim trunks
  18. 1 cap
  19. 1 Tilley hat

Other Items in a couple of ziplock bags

1. camera,charger, extra battery,
  2. cell phone & charger
  3. toothbrush
  4. razor
  5. spare glasses
  6. kindle & charger
  7. short extension cord
  8. pocket 1st aid kit (size of a small wallet)
  9. duct tape
  10. extra ziplock bags

3-1-1 ziplock

• shaving cream (travel size)
  • deodorant (travel size)
  • hand sanitizer (travel size)
  • Downey wrinkle release (travel size)
  • super glue
  • toothpaste (travel size)
  • floss (this stuff is handy)
  • very small tube sunscreen (<1oz) for my face mostly

Hello,

Glad to see that I'm not the only trial run packer out there-so now my DH has to keep his mouth shut. Have used space bags, packing cubes & Packing stsem from FLT 001 which I really like. The Flt 001 has a handle so if you get the dreaded gate check you can take this package out of your carry-on & carry it on.Its the size of a small brief case-F1 SPACEPAK REVERSE CLOTHES -their blurb below

FLIGHT 001 Don't be a SPACE CASE! Our Spacepak Reverse Clothes,in blue, maximizes case space while achieving maximum compression so you can always carry on and avoid the baggage claim. Using this system allows garments to undergo double compression and organization with 1 side for clean laundry and 1 side for dirty laundry.

MEASUREMENT: 16in X 11.25in X 4.25in$ 46.00

Make a list, plan it out it can be done with a minimum of stress. Worst case- a bag of laundry is $29+/- still less $ than overweight on the airplane

Carole

Hello,

Glad to see that I'm not the only trial run packer out there-so now my DH has to keep his mouth shut. Have used space bags, packing cubes & Packing stsem from FLT 001 which I really like. The Flt 001 has a handle so if you get the dreaded gate check you can take this package out of your carry-on & carry it on.Its the size of a small brief case-F1 SPACEPAK REVERSE CLOTHES

:) LOL - that's great. I wait until my DW is out of the house & then do my trial packing. Have you ever offered to pack for him? I have offered to pack for my wife - ONCE - never again, I heard about that for a long time. :)

I'll have to check out the F1 SpacePak -that would be great being able to pull it out in case of a gate check.

I've always thought that we need some sort of support group for light packers, thanks for the feedback , it is good to know I'm not alone :)

I trial pack as well! I have recently thought about trying the packing folders that I have seen on various sites and using them in conjunction with a few of the smaller packing cubes, but I am really not sure I want to put out the money for them since the system I have already works.

I keep a list on my computer and I'm always amending it to reflect what I forgot to pack, any additions I might need and things I might like to pick up on clearance or catch on sale at the end of the summer season as we usually cruise about the November/December time frame.

It's nice to see the "closet trial packers" (pun intended) come out. I bought a packing folder about a year ago on sale. It comes in handy when I do business travel for 3-5 days. On those trips I use a large briefcase to carry my clothes and laptop in (it's a Tom Bihn Empire Builder, picked it up on E-bay for a great price). The folder basically keeps the clothes from sloshing around in the case.

I use Evernote to keep my packing list, that way I have it on my iPhone, laptop and Mac at work.

Sounds like your system does what you need and that is all that matters.

OK, so now I fall in both camps! We never travel light but I AM a trial packer. I weigh every item, plan outfits, list and then do a trial run. Consequently, although we take more that the light packers, there is VERY LITTLE that I pack that we do not wear/use during the trip. I admit that, after our last trip, there were some items we had not worn: one sweater each and my husband's showerproof jacket [but the weather in November could easily have been colder than it was], some underwear [but it weighs next to nothing and is useful for filling gaps in cases/packing out shoes and bags] and a few shirts [but not enough to make to allow us to use smaller of less bags]. All our evening clothes were worn.

We also use the laundry on the ship - had three bags of washing and a few items drycleaned. However, with the poorer quality of the laundry on Constellation, I do admit that we recyced less than we have done on other ships.

Unless the weather changed drastically or we had a minor disaster, we did not change clothes during the day but we enjoy the opportunity to dress in the evening. It is a major part of cruising for us. Others enjoy the challenge of minimal packing. I can do, and have done, this on business trips but I am not ruining our holiday experience by doing it. I will continue to pack my "posh frocks" and husband's DJ for formal nights, and my cocktail wear and husband's lounge suits for other evenings.

Sue

:) LOL - that's great. I wait until my DW is out of the house & then do my trial packing. Have you ever offered to pack for him? I have offered to pack for my wife - ONCE - never again, I heard about that for a long time. :)

I'll have to check out the F1 SpacePak -that would be great being able to pull it out in case of a gate check.

I've always thought that we need some sort of support group for light packers, thanks for the feedback , it is good to know I'm not alone :)

Three weeks prior to any trip I ask-pls pull your clothes etc and leave on bedroom bench. Two week prior I remind him. 1 week prior I REMIND HIM AGAIN. 2 days prior I take him by the hand and pull his clothes. Then when he is not looking I cull the selection and get it all into his Travelpro roll-on and small tote. It works

Carole

Three weeks prior to any trip I ask-pls pull your clothes etc and leave on bedroom bench. Two week prior I remind him. 1 week prior I REMIND HIM AGAIN. 2 days prior I take him by the hand and pull his clothes. Then when he is not looking I cull the selection and get it all into his Travelpro roll-on and small tote. It works

Carole

I have the same issues with my wife, I start 2 or 3 weeks before the cruise, she starts 2 or 3 days before on packing. It doesn't go into a roll-on though.

Carole

A stray question here. Why would you waste valuable bedroom bench space by stacking clothes on it? In my home, that task is reserved for the treadmill. The handrails are a perfect place to hang things, and the long wide track is the ideal place to put boxes, luggage, or anything else that needs to be stacked long-term.

We returned a few weeks ago from a 7 night carribean cruise. I took my usual one carry on bag and oversized purse. My daughter took one carry on and back pack.

I was astonished at the massive amounts of luggage people dragged on for 7 days!

In my carry on:

8 pairs underwear

2 bras (one sport, one black, wore nude one)

1 pair gym/walking shoes

1 pair black high heels

1 pair fit flops

1 swimsuit, with matching cover up and pants

black floor length skirt (formal nights)

brocade jacket (formal night 1)and fancy black wrap top (formal night 2)

3 lightweight cotton 2pc top/pants outfits

black capri pants

3 different blouses for capri pants

2 casual dresses

1 nightgown

1 gym outfit (shorts/tshirt)

tiny sewing kit (hotel type)

curling iron

In the oversized purse I carry:

make up kit

sample sized shampoo/conditioner/lotion/

medications

travel docs

normal purse stuff

1 book

1 magazine

I

A stray question here. Why would you waste valuable bedroom bench space by stacking clothes on it? In my home, that task is reserved for the treadmill. The handrails are a perfect place to hang things, and the long wide track is the ideal place to put boxes, luggage, or anything else that needs to be stacked long-term.

use the bench because I do not own a treadmill. If we had a one DH would find it a bit too useful for hanging & piling. The bench is narrow its used a staging area- closet to bench to bed & fold into suitcase.

Carole

Archived