Cleaning Pack N Play - help?

rin1

If I end up with a ship's Pack N Play, how do I safeguard against germs? These are the ways I've seen cited on this board, and I have questions -

Lysol - My baby sleeps face down a lot of the time (I know, I know, but she flips back there when I flip her over). I'm not crazy about the idea of her inhaling Lysol fumes. Is there a more gentle cleanser out there that gets the job done?

Mattress pad/cover - I'm worried about SIDS. Is there any pad/cover that is better than the others?

Coverplay - If you have used one of these, does it block the sides of the Pack N Play or is it still fairly breathable. It is hard to tell from the pictures.

Thanks in advance!

Your first child, right? :)

Get a package of sanitizing wipes and wipe the thing down. The fumes will dissipate, and they will not be breathing fumes.

Graco makes a pad and/or cover specifically for this item. I would not lose sleep worrying about SIDS.

Those coverplays are expensive. The sides are mesh, just like the original pack N play. Watch video here:

http://www.coverplayard.com/How_To_Video.php

If you are considering purchasing a mattress pad, mattress cover and coverplay, it may be more cost effective to just purchase a new pack n play at your destination.

Your first child, right? :)

Get a package of sanitizing wipes and wipe the thing down. The fumes will dissipate, and they will not be breathing fumes.

I don't know about the OP, but I bought my Cover Play for my THIRD child. MY germaphobia has not diminished by the number of kids that I have had.:p

They do clean the P&Ps between uses. If you're concerned, wipe it down with a soaped up washcloth and dry....soap will remove germs without leaving fumes.

Your child will come into contact with millions of germs daily, unless you place them in a bubble! It's really nothing to worry too much about. Germs are what makes our immune systems strong and healthy! Have you ever heard the saying, "You have to eat a peck of dirt before you die"? Well...it's true...too much "disinfecting" makes folks susceptible to all kinds of ailments....asthma, fibromyalgia, RA, ....any "immune deficiant disease" can attack your body if you don't give it something REAL to attack. Germs aren't all bad!

Graco makes a pad and/or cover specifically for this item. I would not lose sleep worrying about SIDS.

Which product are you talking about? I was searching yesterday on Amazon and wasn't sure exactly what I was looking for.

The Coverplays are pricey, but I've seen one on sale on Amazon for less than $30 so that's the direction we'd go with that.

Thanks for the info on the wipes.

It is my first child...is it that obvious? :o;)

Just adding my two cents...

bring the Clorox wipes. Yes, we're all exposed to germs and most won't hurt or kill us; however, a quick wipe down can offer peace of mind. :)

In my experience on the Freedom, all the baby items that we were exposed to looked clean. Having said that, I still wiped everything down! ;) I wasn't trying to be OCD in doing so, but I was trying to make sure that my vacation wouldn't be "ruined" in the event of a major stomach bug. I contracted Norovirus in a restaurant about 4 years ago - it was from a sick employee who was recovering himself. It took me a few WEEKS to feel normal again, and I wanted to minimize the chance of my family getting the same or similar. It just takes a few minutes and can save your vacation.

In all honesty the less stuff you have to tote with you the better. If it looks dirty or you just want to feel better wash that thing down with soap and water. Or sacrifice a few of the babywipe to wipe it down. :)

2nd. If you are concerned about the sheets remember they are washed with the same sheets that you are sleeping on during your trip. If you are concerned about harsh detergents just pick up your own pack-n-play sheet and take it with you.

• 4 weeks later...

Our PnP on Celebrity was very clean and looked new. Bring your own sheet anyway since they use "regular" sheets folded up and they don't fit tightly like PnP sheets do. I wouldn't bother buying anything fancy (and I only have one child!). We didn't feel it needed cleaning either and if it did, I'd ask the steward to take care of it- wouldn't do it myself.

The only thing I thought was funny was they kept putting a pillow in it for my son and I kept taking it right back out. I guess they just assume a bed gets a pillow?

Archived