Loved QM2 - does QV have same atmosphere?

ilovhywd

We loved our crossing on the QM2 a few years ago; and now we are considering a cruise (but not a crossing) on the Queen Victoria in 2011.

What differences would we notice?

We thought the QM2 had a very elegant atmosphere in the evening. Does the QV feel the same?

Thanks!

We loved our crossing on the QM2 a few years ago; and now we are considering a cruise (but not a crossing) on the Queen Victoria in 2011. What differences would we notice? We thought the QM2 had a very elegant atmosphere in the evening. Does the QV feel the same? Thanks!

Hi

Yes, QV had a very similar elegant atmosphere in the evenings it seemed to me. Of course, cruises tend to feel different to crossings in some important ways; depending on the cruise there will normally be fewer formal nights, there could be many sailaway parties in the early evening to enjoy, and the average age of the passengers might be slightly lower. But overall the atmosphere will be similar to QM2.

Physical differences between the two ships are many, cruise ship QV feels smaller and more intimate than liner QM2 (she is less than 2/3rds the size).

The high ceilings of QM2's Decks 2/3 are missing on QV where I often noted lower deckheads.

On QV I felt the forward structure shake and vibrate (esp notable in the Commodore Club) whenever the bow thrusters were used.

I missed QM2's high broad wrap-around teak-decked promenade, QV's is a plastic decked "C" plan and narrow in places, but closer to the waves.

There is no giant stepped terrace of decks down to the stern rail on QV.

Both of QV's pools are outdoors, I like the covered pool on QM2.

I missed QM2's broad central promenades with separate public rooms to left and right, on QV the main passageways are over to one side, many of the bars and spaces are part of these corridors with little or no physical division from them.

Instead of the two theatres on QM2 (Illuminations and Royal Court) QV has one, but what a theatre, you won't believe it's on a ship, far, far better than the one on QM2.

The Golden Lion Pub on QV is nicer than the one on QM2 I feel, the same is true of the Winter Garden.

The Grills Restaurants are far better positioned on QV than on QM2 with stunning views, but the Britannia Restaurants on QV (there are two, one above the other with a small well linking them) lack the "WOW" factor of the amazing example on QM2 with its high central illuminated vault.

The larger Commodore Club on QV has three walls of glass allowing the most amazing views, but lacks the intimacy of QM2's version.

There are many photographs of the interiors of both QV and QM2 via the link below, I hope they help.

I'm certain you'll enjoy Queen Victoria very much, she is an elegant cruise ship.

Have a great time and Bon Voyage.

In my view, QM2 and QV both have an overall Cunard flavor but have different personalities, which is the way it should be. It would be very boring if they were both the same. QM2 is a great and historic ship. She is a true ocean liner and handles the sea amazingly well. The decor is different than QV and there is more of a feeling of space. QV is a very good ship. She has a sophisticated and elegant feel. She feels more intimate even though she is a large ship.

I wouldn't disagree with the points made. My view is that QM2 is at her best on a crossing. QV is a lovely ship - superb service and lovely facilities. The Queen's room on QV is so much nicer, and the afternoon tea service was far better, in my view at least.

WD

The QV is a nice ship but, in the modern style, all the bars and most of the areas are merely bulges off the main thoroughfare. There are few seperate rooms on the main decks which is ok but the bars do lack the ambience of the Chart Room on QM2. It is 2/3rds the size of QM2 so is much easier to negotiate. Other than these points, it is a very nice ship.

... but the bars do lack the ambience of the Chart Room on QM2.

Respectfully, I couldn't disagree more.:eek:

The Chart Room was probably my least favourite room, and one of the biggest disappointments on QM2 (I know I'm in a minority here). In my opinion the ceiling is too high and there isn't (wasn't) enough furniture, leaving huge empty spaces which swallow any atmosphere. I got the impression of a barn or an aircraft hanger, dressed up for a social function and being much too large for the number of invited guests.

The Queen Victoria's Chart Room, again IMHO, is a vast improvement. I understand the comments about the corridor along one side of the room and perhaps some glass screens, a la QE2's Chart Room, could help to mitigate this.

The high ceilings of QM2's Decks 2/3 are missing on QV where I often noted lower deckheads.
Agreed, but the double-hight ceiling in QV's Queens Room is an improvement on QM2's comparatively low ceiling - its just that the floor plan is so huge the ceiling seems low.

In general, I agree with the other comments. Both ships provide a similar, but not identical experience. All cruises and crossings are different.

Regards, Colin.

Respectfully, I couldn't disagree more.:eek:

The Chart Room was probably my least favourite room, and one of the biggest disappointments on QM2 (I know I'm in a minority here). In my opinion the ceiling is too high and there isn't (wasn't) enough furniture, leaving huge empty spaces which swallow any atmosphere. I got the impression of a barn or an aircraft hanger, dressed up for a social function and being much too large for the number of invited guests.

When did you last go on the QM2? When we went in the Chart Room in 2008 it was like that but when we went last year it had a lot more furniture in it. I think this may have been part of the re-fit last year. It looks a lot different now.

Pepperrn - your details are amazing. Very helpful! I think we're going to book this cruise!

Hi, thank you for that, I'm sure you'll have a great time on QV, let us know all about it when you return, she is a superb cruise ship.

Thanks again, Bon Voyage!

Archived