My review of the Regatta Transatlantic is posted

happy cruzer

Interesting review.

I wonder why you would not tell the Maitre'd about the poor service in the GDR ?

They like to know so they can fix any problems

We have always waited in the lounge for announcements as to what group disembarks & when

I think it depends on the port which deck you disembark on

Glad you enjoyed the cruise

Lyn

Glad you enjoyed the cruise and thanks for the heads up on the vendors in Tangiers. Headed there next year. I agree with Lyn why you didn't advise the Maitre D of a 2 hour wait for salads:eek::confused:. I certainly would not have waited that long for any course. I go to the early seating on Oceania and seldom experienced the loud noise at the other tables. Perhaps they were having a good, good time. Sorry that spoiled your experience. :)

Know what you mean about the vendors in Tangiers - wait until you go to Egypt and some other ports. As a woman, I usually find that if I walk with purpose and never make any eye contact, they leave me alone shortly. Any eye contact and you are done for.

Know what you mean about the vendors in Tangiers - wait until you go to Egypt and some other ports. As a woman, I usually find that if I walk with purpose and never make any eye contact, they leave me alone shortly. Any eye contact and you are done for.

Are the vendors any worse than the ones you encounter in Cambodia, Thailand and China? I got very adept at avoiding eye contact but some of those little children in Cambodia were very hard to resist.

Hi, OP here...

Thanks for reading the review.

Regarding talking to the Matri D, as I stated we were not sure what was going on so we did not like to get the waiter in trouble vs. perhaps the kitchen or the assit. waiter. AND most importantly we were on vacation and do not like to end up dealing face to face with a staff issue. That's our style, some don't mind face to face complaints, we do.

Also I did not note in the review, many nights other diners where making the problems obvious to the waiter and the Matri D with not much success that's one of the reasons I say I could not really tell what the root cause was.

Regarding the tour vendors, those of you who say no eye or verbal contact is best are right. Just don't count on that working all cases, some vendors were much more presistent and every cruiser leaving the ship was persued by vendors for periods of time at different spots. Just a warning to be be prepard and make a decision you are comfortable with beforehand.

additionally, I have read the thread started by Archie's Mom who turns out to have been on the same cruise. Regarding the comments about the poor food, I can support her comments that there were dishes that were not good. But I will add we always found an item at each meal that was outstanding. And at buffets that's all we expect, is one item that we really enjoy. In the Grand Dining Room, it was the same usually one item not so good, one outstanding and the rest fair. We were always satisfied with the food, and sometimes wowed.

Seems like we focused on the negatives.

Please, note that most of the cruise was very positive, I did give it 5 stars!!

Hi, OP here...

Thanks for reading the review.

Regarding talking to the Matri D, as I stated we were not sure what was going on so we did not like to get the waiter in trouble vs. perhaps the kitchen or the assit. waiter. AND most importantly we were on vacation and do not like to end up dealing face to face with a staff issue. That's our style, some don't mind face to face complaints, we do.

Also I did not note in the review, many nights other diners where making the problems obvious to the waiter and the Matri D with not much success that's one of the reasons I say I could not really tell what the root cause was.

Regarding the tour vendors, those of you who say no eye or verbal contact is best are right. Just don't count on that working all cases, some vendors were much more presistent and every cruiser leaving the ship was persued by vendors for periods of time at different spots. Just a warning to be be prepard and make a decision you are comfortable with beforehand.

additionally, I have read the thread started by Archie's Mom who turns out to have been on the same cruise. Regarding the comments about the poor food, I can support her comments that there were dishes that were not good. But I will add we always found an item at each meal that was outstanding. And at buffets that's all we expect, is one item that we really enjoy. In the Grand Dining Room, it was the same usually one item not so good, one outstanding and the rest fair. We were always satisfied with the food, and sometimes wowed.

Seems like we focused on the negatives.

Please, note that most of the cruise was very positive, I did give it 5 stars!!

As I respect your decision not to be confrontational, it still could have been handled in such a pleasant manner that would have been satisfactory. Rather than complain, I would have just left the dining room and gone up to the Terrace. JMO but I am glad you had other wonderful experiences onboard.

You could always tell the concierge & he would pass the complaint on to those that need to know if you did not think the Maitre'd would take the criticism kindly

I cannot believe I am saying this (again) but I agree about the food

We were in Insignia this summer & did have some not so good dishes

I wonder if it is lack of experience by some of the cooks ...not an excuse they should have been trained better before set upon Oceania passengers.

Some dishes were like the chef had not tasted the sauce before it was sent out.

The buffet was much better than the GDR on our cruise

Glad you had an enjoyable trip otherwise

Lyn

Thanks for taking the time to post such a comprehensive review. It really is appreciated.

We have found that the bigger the group we dine with, the slower the service in the GDR, with the show definitely well underway if we dine with more than four total. However, two hours between courses no matter how many are dining simply is inexcusable.

Glad to read that except for these dining issues, you enjoyed your Oceania experience.

Archived