Monarch rescues 6 at sea

Was just on the local news here. The Monarch came in quite late, after 7 am versus the regular 5:30 am, so I am assuming due to processing the raft people. Probably going to be some people missing their flights. :eek:

News said the Coast Guard was to process and send them back to Cuba.

5 men and a woman. The womans husband didn't make it, they dumped his body in the ocean. They were 15 days at sea, the last 8 without food the last 4 without water. These people are very lucky we came along.

Lucky is relative. Yes, they are alive, but they will now be returned to Cuba and most likely tried as deserters...I'm not sure I would feel lucky. :(

Lucky is relative. Yes, they are alive, but they will now be returned to Cuba and most likely tried as deserters...I'm not sure I would feel lucky. :(

That doesn't happen. They will be returned to Cuba but, after processing, will be released. It is very common for USCG to encounter the same migrants over and over.

5 men and a woman. The womans husband didn't make it, they dumped his body in the ocean. They were 15 days at sea, the last 8 without food the last 4 without water. These people are very lucky we came along.

Thanks for your reports Hannibal. We're working on a write-up of the rescue. Is there anything else you can say at this point? Curious if you snapped a photograph.

Thanks,

Dan Askin

Associate Editor

That doesn't happen. They will be returned to Cuba but, after processing, will be released. It is very common for USCG to encounter the same migrants over and over.

Will thee ones that went to the Hospital be returned to Cuba? I thought that a dry foot means they can stay in the US.

Thanks for your reports Hannibal. We're working on a write-up of the rescue. Is there anything else you can say at this point? Curious if you snapped a photograph.

Dan, I can put you in contact with someone who has more info. If you would like it, send me an e-mail. It's my user name at AOL (dot) com.

Will thee ones that went to the Hospital be returned to Cuba? I thought that a dry foot means they can stay in the US.

That "dry foot" has to be on dry US soil. Since they never landed and were still at sea, that is why the Coast Guard can send them back when they pick them up on their cutters also.

It does happen, sadly. My ex fiancée had family tried as deserters in Cuba. No one hears from them anymore :(

Dry foot means they arrived on dry land before the USCG found them.

Dry foot means they arrived on dry land before the USCG found them.

USCG transported a few to shore in this case for medical reasons. Those 3 are now "dry foot" and will stay.

As for the desserter trials, that was either a while ago or there were other circumstances. It is not common for them to do that anymore.

USCG transported a few to shore in this case for medical reasons. Those 3 are now "dry foot" and will stay.

As for the desserter trials, that was either a while ago or there were other circumstances. It is not common for them to do that anymore.

Three years ago. Other circumstances? Yeah...they tried to leave an oppressive regime.

Even those transported to hospitals will most likely be sent back - we saw it all the time. They would be stabilized, processed and sent back to Cuba.

Even those transported to hospitals will most likely be sent back - we saw it all the time. They would be stabilized, processed and sent back to Cuba.

Sorry, but you are wrong. Cuban migrants who make dry land by any circumstances are considered dry foot and stay.....that includes hospital patients. The U.S. only deports a handful of Cubans annually and those people are felons....not hospital patients. It has been that way ever since Pres. Clinton created this current policy. It is illegal by current law to deport a dry foot Cuban migrant, even from a hospital.

They are not considered to have "dry foot" status unless they made it to shore on their own, so all of these people will be sent home to Cuba. That is where their troubles begin. As recently as last month I heard of the types of things the government does such as levying heavy fines on the family, taking away work permits, rationing food, denying education to children, all sorts of things that make their lives misurable.

The US government does not punish these people, their own government does. That's why they want to leave their country. Very few are given asylim in the US since very few bring evidence with them that would convince a judge to give it to them. Many Cubans, and other illigal immigrants, wind up in detention camps for months, even years, trying to be allowed to stay. Many say it's better than the conditions in their country.

We have a lot to be thankful for.

They are not considered to have "dry foot" status unless they made it to shore on their own, so all of these people will be sent home to Cuba.

This is also not true. Once again, the hospital patients will not be returned to Cuba.

For those who don't know...this is my career field.

Sorry, but you are wrong. Cuban migrants who make dry land by any circumstances are considered dry foot and stay.....that includes hospital patients. The U.S. only deports a handful of Cubans annually and those people are felons....not hospital patients. It has been that way ever since Pres. Clinton created this current policy. It is illegal by current law to deport a dry foot Cuban migrant, even from a hospital.

So then...what? My ex fiancées family and his neighbor's family are anomalies? Because MANY of them were picked up at sea, brought to a hospital for treatment, stabilized and then SENT BACK. All in recent years.

Hell, Jose's own brother was sent back to Cuba. Thankfully, he made it here by other means but it does happen. Perhaps it is not supposed to, but it does.

So then...what? My ex fiancées family and his neighbor's family are anomalies? Because MANY of them were picked up at sea, brought to a hospital for treatment, stabilized and then SENT BACK. All in recent years.

Hell, Jose's own brother was sent back to Cuba. Thankfully, he made it here by other means but it does happen. Perhaps it is not supposed to, but it does.

How were they taken back to Cuba?

How were they taken back to Cuba?

Do you mean the mode of transportation? I have no idea, it was before I was engaged to Jose and I never thought it was appropriate to ask the details of what was clearly a sensitive issue (especially given the circumstances that some found themselves in upon return :( )

Archived