Gem Dry Dock in Boston- what's new?

steviek49

It should take less than that....even at a reduced speed of 21 knots which is what the Jewel made when she left the dry dock.

Do we know how long Jewel took? What do you think is a reasonable estimate? I'm thinking to get there around 3--no way I am waiting until 5.

So it's a "she" Charlie? Dancer, right? Is your name Ariel? Just want to go with the right info.

Do we know how long Jewel took? What do you think is a reasonable estimate? I'm thinking to get there around 3--no way I am waiting until 5.

So it's a "she" Charlie? Dancer, right? Is your name Ariel? Just want to go with the right info.

I believe the Jewel took about 16 hours once under way.

PE

I think I'll watch her progress on the vessel tracker if she reports, and then leave home for the pier ---let's see---perhaps when she passes by Merrick.:D

Verrry funny.......;)

Where is this vessel tracker? I would love to get an idea of when she is about an hour and a half, two hours out of port. I have to stop watching this camera now before I drive myself crazy. I think I'll go downstairs and rearrange my suitcases again.....

1915 hrs [Local] NCL Gem, outbound Boston Harbor...

From Norwegian's Facebook...

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/notes/norwegian-cruise-line/important-information-for-1211-embarking-nclfreestyle-gem-guests/472161282619

Important Information for 12/11 Embarking @NCLFreestyle Gem Guests

by Norwegian Cruise Line on Friday, December 10, 2010 at 11:06am

Because of a late departure leaving dry dock in Boston, Norwegian Gem will arrive later than scheduled into New York on Saturday, December 11. The ship is now scheduled to arrive at 5 pm on Saturday afternoon. Embarkation for guests sailing on Norwegian Gem’s December 11 Bahamas & Florida cruise is delayed and will begin at 5 pm. The ship is scheduled to depart New York at 7 pm.

The ship’s itinerary has been changed to accommodate the new departure time:

Saturday, December 11: New York departure at 7 p.m.

Sunday, December 12: at sea

Monday, December 13: at sea

Tuesday, December 14: Orlando (Port Canaveral), FL from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m.

Wednesday, December 15: Nassau, Bahamas from Noon to 10 p.m.

Thursday, December 16: at sea

Friday, December 17: at sea

Saturday, December 18: New York arrival at 8 a.m.

Guests will receive an onboard credit of $100 per stateroom.

Norwegian Gem entered dry dock later than originally scheduled because of a crane collapse at the dry dock facility. We sincerely believed we would have made up for the delayed entry into the dry dock. However, in spite of our very best efforts, that has not been the case.

Norwegian Cruise Line sincerely apologizes for this delay. We appreciate our guests understanding and cooperation.

###

Verrry funny.......;)

Where is this vessel tracker? I would love to get an idea of when she is about an hour and a half, two hours out of port. I have to stop watching this camera now before I drive myself crazy. I think I'll go downstairs and rearrange my suitcases again.....

It's here...http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/

Wish I knew she was leaving Boston today. I would have driven to Hull to watch her sail away. Guess I will just have to wait until my Jewel cruise in January to see my ship.

Anybody else enjoy watching ships depart as much as I do?

Hope Jewel's azipods are working properly for my cruise.

Wish I knew she was leaving Boston today. I would have driven to Hull to watch her sail away. Guess I will just have to wait until my Jewel cruise in January to see my ship.

I love watching the ships depart, especially at night when there all lit up.

You're entitled to your opinion and I am to mine, and if they get out of Port of NY at 7PM I'll come to Massachusetts and buy you a drink! I say no way....and, if they do expect to leave on time, you're telling me that delay of three whole hours causes them to knock out a port completely?

In 2004 or so I was on NCL Dawn, they had problems with the Azipods. We got to Port Canaveral at Noon instead of 9AM. We still went to GSC (although we did not port due to rough waves, which I understand) and then to Nassau. There's no time difference between this and that.

I'm not saying they didn't do a good job of notification--I've gotten a house phone call, a cell phone call, a text, and a letter from NCL via ma TA's email, not to mention their posting on Facebook. I get, although I'm unhappy, it's beyond NCL's control. I DON'T get why they are canceling an entire port over three hours.

Instead of getting to Port Canaveral at noon, or there abouts, the ship with the new azipod thrust bearings will most likely arrive there three hours late as well. Not much of a day at Port Canaveral, more like an evening instead. Therefore they won't arrive until the next morning, losing the day at GSC...

I didn't realize the ship was in Boston until reading the thread last night.

I prefer being on the ship and watching the people watching us leave, but I do like seeing them sail away too! It's only about a 10 minute drive from my Mom's, and I wonder if there is a ship leaving every time I pass the exit heading to the docks.

It's here...http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/

WOW, makes absolutely NO sense to me. Tried looking up a ship name... nothing. Tried zooming in on the map and selecting view names and no cruse ships. Guess my use of the tool wasn't meant to be. Thanks for post the link anyway. Maybe it will make sense when I have at it another time....

WOW, makes absolutely NO sense to me. Tried looking up a ship name... nothing. Tried zooming in on the map and selecting view names and no cruse ships. Guess my use of the tool wasn't meant to be. Thanks for post the link anyway. Maybe it will make sense when I have at it another time....

If you select the zone where the ship should be (just south of the eastern most point of Long Island), that will be you new view. The Gem should be due south of Montauk. Turn off other types of ship in the left side of the page and you should be able to to track her in.

PE

SNIP

DW and DD are aboard now and reporting smooth cruising. Other than the delay which NCL didn't bother to inform us (Thanks CC and the roll call gang) it has been a good cruise for them.

I do too!! I'm lucky that I can go right up the street and see them pull in and out of Boston Harbor.

WOW, makes absolutely NO sense to me. Tried looking up a ship name... nothing. Tried zooming in on the map and selecting view names and no cruse ships. Guess my use of the tool wasn't meant to be.
Try starting on the ship's own page: http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/shipdetails.aspx?MMSI=309951000

The attached is where she is now.

Norwegian Gem.pdf

I do too!! I'm lucky that I can go right up the street and see them pull in and out of Boston Harbor.

Just got back from a 4000 mile drive ( culminating with cruise on N.C.L. Sun from Port Canaveral ) getting home on Thursday. I still felt I had to see N.C.L. Gem depart. We got to boston,s dry dock at 7:10 just as she left. :)

I don,t know why but a alway's feel a little sad as a ship departs. I think it's because I,m not on it.:(

Lucky me got to work across the channel from Black Falcon the summer of 2008 and had the privilege of seeing a lot of sailing's depart and arrive.

To eat a Sullivan's Castle Island hot dog on a warm summer day to a ship sailaway is dream to help me get past one more cold New England winter.;)

Archived