Curious about "Epic Club" restaurant...

Tom-n-Cheryl

We'll be on the Epic in February. Can I assume that the Epic Club restaurant is similar in function to Cagney's on other ships (that would include a nice location and tasty offerings for breakfast and lunch) ??

What change occurs at dinner -- is it still (no fee) dining then? How does the food compare there to the specialty restaurants??

We had planned on eating each evening in one of the specialty restaurants, then I recalled they had this spot.

Any menus (breakfast, lunch, dinner) floating around out there? It will be time to make our dinner and show reservations (from what I can determine) on January 12, and I would just like to have an "action plan" ! :)

------------------------

On another note... on the week we sail, another CC'er that we have sailed with a few times will be onboard. He'll be in one of the studio cabins. No doubt we would like to have a look at that area, and would like to show him our cabin as well. I understand that the suite complex is "exclusively" for suite guests, so how would it work trying to get him up there? I don't assume that they have someone standing guard or anything.

THANKS!!

Tom

The Epic Club is only available to suite customers and is free of charge. They don't have "guards" to keep you from bringing someone in, but many people here will tell you that you should not plan on hosting your friend in the suite areas simply because they are not entitled to the facilities as a non-suite guest. I see no harm in a quick visit, but I wouldn't expect to have them join you in the Epic Club or at the Courtyard pool.

The Epic Club is only available to suite customers and is free of charge. They don't have "guards" to keep you from bringing someone in, but many people here will tell you that you should not plan on hosting your friend in the suite areas simply because they are not entitled to the facilities as a non-suite guest. I see no harm in a quick visit, but I wouldn't expect to have them join you in the Epic Club or at the Courtyard pool.

How does the food compare (dinner) with the specialty options?

Yes, we were only considering at "quick trip". I would imagine if everyone in a suite wanted to allow a non-suite guest access to facilities that it would quickly become overrun!

Tom

We'll be on the Epic in February. Can I assume that the Epic Club restaurant is similar in function to Cagney's on other ships (that would include a nice location and tasty offerings for breakfast and lunch) ??

What change occurs at dinner -- is it still (no fee) dining then? How does the food compare there to the specialty restaurants??

Just got off the Epic and we ate many meals in the Epic Club. If you are staying in the Courtyard area, it's the easiest and most convenient for breakfast every day. However, as far as I can remember, the menu stays the same. It's not a very huge menu - I think we only had dinner there once but the food was excellent. Sorry, I didn't take any photos of the menu. Also, it's always free for Courtyard guests.

Enjoy!

Agree with kpg. We actually found the atmosphere of Epic Club to be better than Cagney's on Gem or Pearl. You will love the personal service, ocean views, and made to order meals. We ate dinner there twice and loved it. Very quiet at dinner time. Breakfast is good as well

With a little searching I found where someone had posted the menu:

EPIC CLUB MENUS

BREAKFAST

Belgian Waffle (Choice of Grand Marnier Strawberries, Dark Rum Island Pineapple or Cinnamon Apple Topping with Whipped Cream)

Buttermilk Hot Cakes (Walnut Butter, Caramelized Banana)

Tahitian Vanilla Challah French Toast (Cinnamon-scented Macerated Berries, Mascarpone)

Crab Cakes Benedict (Two Poached Eggs, Cagney's Crab Cakes, Toasted English Muffin, Dill Hollandaise)

Traditional Eggs Benedict (Two Poached Eggs, Canadian Bacon, Toasted English Muffin, Hollandaise)

Smoked Salmon Frittata Open Faced Omelet (Asparagus, Potatoes, Shallots, Herbed Boursin)

Three Egg Omelet (Choice of Ham, Onions, Bell Peppers, Chorizo, Mushrooms or Cheese)

Fruits de Mer in Brioche (Lobster and Scallops in Toasted Brioche with a Poached Egg and Choron Sauce)

Steak and Eggs (Petite Grilled Fillet of Beef, Two Eggs any Style)

Two Eggs any Style (Choice of Bacon or Link Sausage)

LUNCH

APPETIZERS

Soup of the Day

Colossal Shrimp Cocktail (Cocktail Sauce)

Fresh Smoked Salmon (Toasted Brioche and Citrus Herb Cream)

Grilled Asparagus and Prosciutto (Parmesan Reggiano and Mushrooms)

Mixed Greens (Hearts of Palm, Mandarin Orange, Coconut and Dijon Honey Dressing)

BURGERS AND SANDWICHES

Grilled Angus Burger (Choice of Cheese, Lettuce, Onion, Tomato, French Fries)

Turkey Burger (Thai Herbs, Grilled Pineapple, Sweet and Sour Red Pepper Relish)

Classic French Dip (On Toasted Baguette with Au Jus)

Sesame Crusted Ahi Tuna Burger (Ginger Slaw, Wasabi Mayonnaise, French Fries)

Bruschetta with Roasted Peppers and Fresh Mozzarella (Arugula Salad)

ENTREES

Fettuccini with Porcini Mushrooms (Truffle Cream Sauce)

Pan Seared Sea Scallops (Artichoke and Chive Risotto)

Grouper Milanese (Arugula and Tomato Salad)

Butter Roasted Breast of Chicken (Cheddar Cheese Polenta and Garlic Rosemary Jus)

Grilled Angus New York Strip (White Truffle Fries)

DESSERTS

Warm Espresso Chocolate Brownie (Macadamia Nut Ice Cream)

Carrot Cake (Homemade Orange Marmalade)

Banana Cream Pie (Chocolate Caramel Drizzle, Toasted Coconut)

Marinated Berries and Mango (Crispy Almond Wafer)

Ice Cream and Sherbet (Today's Selection)

DINNER

APPETIZERS

Butternut Squash Soup (Duck Confit)

Gazpacho with Seafood (Roasted Garlic Crostini)

Salad of Butter and Lola Rosa Lettuce (Pistachios, Olives, Pancetta, Creamy Dijon Vinaigrette)

Roasted Beets and Arugula (Warm Goat Cheese Crouton, Extra Virgin Olive Oil and Lemon)

Polenta Cake and Asparagus (Porcini Mushroom Cream)

Crispy Shrimp Cake (Water Chestnuts and Scallions, Wasabi Cream)

Ahi Tuna Poke (Sesame Seaweed Salad)

ENTREES

Grilled Filet of Beef (Cremini Mushrooms and Potato Hash, Caramelized Shallot Sauce)

Sonoma Duck Breast (Roasted Apples, Wild Rice, Black Mission Fig Jus)

Boneless Beef Short Rib (Root Vegetables, Scalloped Potatoes)

Breast of Chicken (with Linguice Sausage, Polenta Cake, Roasted Peppers)

Butter Roasted Sea Bass (Mussels and Lobster, Fennel Sauce)

Grilled Gulf Shrimp (Gnocchi Romaine, Garlic, Tomato and Scallion Butter)

Wild Mushroom Ravioli (Butter Sauce with White Truffle Essence)

DESSERTS

Warm Pear and Ginger Crumble (Honey and Lemon Ice Cream)

A Tasting of Chocolate (White Chocolate Brulee, Chocolate and Praline Cake, Milk Shake)

Coconut and Mango Soufflé (Pineapple Rum Sauce)

Mocha Chocolate Mousse (Vanilla and Raspberry Cream, Hazelnut Crunch)

Are reservations (for dinner) suggested - or does it typically get busy enough to need them?

THANKS,

Tom

Regarding bringing your studio friend to the suite complex, you can absolutely entertain your friend in your suite! The restrictions are bringing him to any common area like the courtyard, epic club, etc but there's nothing wrong with just walking past them on his way to your cabin. Meet him in a non-suite area and just walk back with him. From what I've heard you can even ask the butler to bring a meal or snacks for you and your guest, with an appropriate consideration in his tip.

What people have issues with is bringing friends to the courtyard pool area, Epic club, etc because they've paid $$$$ for them. What you do in your cabin that doesn't affect the other suite guests is your business and nobody else's.

On our cabin crawl on the TA the folks in suites arranged for all of us to see their cabins; we were just asked to be quiet & respectful of the area and stay out of common areas, but we were welcomed into the rooms.

Regarding bringing your studio friend to the suite complex, you can absolutely entertain your friend in your suite! The restrictions are bringing him to any common area like the courtyard, epic club, etc but there's nothing wrong with just walking past them on his way to your cabin. Meet him in a non-suite area and just walk back with him. From what I've heard you can even ask the butler to bring a meal or snacks for you and your guest, with an appropriate consideration in his tip.

What people have issues with is bringing friends to the courtyard pool area, Epic club, etc because they've paid $$$$ for them. What you do in your cabin that doesn't affect the other suite guests is your business and nobody else's.

On our cabin crawl on the TA the folks in suites arranged for all of us to see their cabins; we were just asked to be quiet & respectful of the area and stay out of common areas, but we were welcomed into the rooms.

...suggesting a tip? :eek:

:D

PE

I have stayed at several Courtyard Villas, Owners Suites and once the Garden Villa. I have brought visitors to check out the common areas and then my own suite. At the Garden Villa I had the buttler bring them from deck 13 up to deck 14. It was just a quick walk around, a few pictures and then off to my own cabin. I agree that if you are paying much more money then the other passengers you don't want to see a private area getting crowded with visitors...

When I was on the Thanksgiving sailing...I ate in the Epic Club twice, though the food was pretty good it was not special, service was slow and the menu didn't change, they offered two "specials" nightly the same that were offered in the main dining rooms. I think the main purpose is just a more secluded experience.

As for guest I was told that I could bring guest to the courtyard but not the restaurants. When you request seating they check your room and know how many guest are on your "ticket"...The staff is great but I ended up using the specialty restaurants more than the Epic club.

When I was on the Thanksgiving sailing...I ate in the Epic Club twice, though the food was pretty good it was not special, service was slow and the menu didn't change, they offered two "specials" nightly the same that were offered in the main dining rooms. I think the main purpose is just a more secluded experience.

As for guest I was told that I could bring guest to the courtyard but not the restaurants. When you request seating they check your room and know how many guest are on your "ticket"...The staff is great but I ended up using the specialty restaurants more than the Epic club.

That's interesting because a lot of the suite folks on this board have a real issue with guests in the courtyard for more than a walk-through---many have booked a $$$$suite$$$$ because of the courtyard access and seclusion - no crowds or chair hogs. If guests are allowed then IMHO we should get a group together, a couple of members book suites and (for a small contribution to their suite cost) the rest of us book insides and become their guests in the courtyard! (no flames please, I'm being facetious along the lines of Swift's "A Modest Proposal")

I had written to NCL corporate to complain about how badly Bliss was downgraded from what was advertised and the fact that it was no longer exclusive, as well as the quiet demise of the 24-hour private spa access for spa accomodations, and I was told that absolutely no one other than suite pax are allowed in the courtyard. Period. I guess they were as wrong about that as they were about my other gripes.

There's a recent review that complained about the CY being crowded, I wonder how many of the crowd were visitors!

I doesn't bother me one way or another....when I was on the Epic the courtyard was barely used and POSH was totally deserted most of the cruise. There were very high winds and on more than one occasion the courtyard was closed all together...I suppose we all cruise for different reasons...I didn't (and haven't in the past) book a suite to be made to feel special I booked it because I liked the cabin, the amenities are ok but never really the deal maker.

I doesn't bother me one way or another....when I was on the Epic the courtyard was barely used and POSH was totally deserted most of the cruise. There were very high winds and on more than one occasion the courtyard was closed all together...I suppose we all cruise for different reasons...I didn't (and haven't in the past) book a suite to be made to feel special I booked it because I liked the cabin, the amenities are ok but never really the deal maker.

After the 2nd day all the buttlers and the concierge know who you are. If they see a face that doesn't belong I'm pretty sure that person will be approached. I book suites (on NCL) mainly because of the courtyard. I like to be able to escape the crowds. And I believe you should get what you pay for.

After the 2nd day all the buttlers and the concierge know who you are. If they see a face that doesn't belong I'm pretty sure that person will be approached. I book suites (on NCL) mainly because of the courtyard. I like to be able to escape the crowds. And I believe you should get what you pay for.

You're absolutely correct...they did know me the 2nd day but I was dining alone and for some reason that surprised them, so they made a point of chatting with me...my intentions were to use the courtyard, it was just too windy up there so I didn't get my usual escape time.

Archived