Port Canaveral to Disney parks with 1 year old.

niki1785

We'll be on the NCL Jewel in March with our then to be 1 year old son. The cruiseline offers an excursion via motorcoach bus to the Disney parks from the pier. The website goes on to talk about how children under 2 will be charged for a seat but not the full price.

My question is; how is it safe for a 1 year old to travel on this motorcoach? Do they supply car seats? Do they expect you told hold your child - if so we will not be taking it.

Anyone else have any experience in this area?

A motorcoach is a bus...no seatbelts...so you'll either hold the child or sit them on the seat beside you. No seatbelts on a bus.

Unless YOU really must go to Disney, it's a waste of time and money for a 1 year old. They simply aren't old enough to appreciate the "magic". The best age starts at 5 and up....

We still want to go to Disney. Nothing else in Port Canaveral that sparks our interest. DS had a blast at the zoo, so we're hoping he can have fun at Disney's Animal Kingdom too!

Anyone else travel on a motorcoach with small children?

With a one year old, you really have to weigh the amount of time on the bus (4 hrs - 2 each way?) with the amount of time in the park. You can rent a car in Port Canaveral and drive over to Disney yourselves or you can choose to go somewhere else which might be a little easier and less stressful. I would choose the rental car more because of the possibility of rain - bus and Disney in the rain is not a good vacation day. With a rental car, you can have a car seat and change destinations to fit your needs.

Brevard Zoo is in Melbourne, Fl about 25 miles south of Port Canaveral. Ron Jon Surf Shop in Cocoa Beach is a fun stop and there are plenty of parks with shore line if the weather is warm. I agree that Animal Kingdom is good for little ones but really consider the distance and the bus transport - not so good.

I appreciate all of your input! We're also traveling with another couple and their two children (1 and 4) and they would also like to do Disney. I have read that the distance between the port and the parks is 1 hour travel time each way, we weren't too worried about that. I'm just wondering how others have gotten around with young kids? I know getting to the parks will not be stress free, but we would really like to make the effort to do Disney!

However, I love all of the other suggestions that are being thrown about. If there is anything else anyone can think of I'd be happy to learn about it. I really know nothing about Port Canaveral, we really just booked this cruise to take an easy vacation right out of NYC - an hour drive from our home!

I wasn't thrilled with the ports (Port Canaveral, Nassau, Great Stirrup Cay) but am super excited about getting away for a week. Can't wait to have someone else cook, clean, etc. for our family! It will be a much needed break :) I really haven't researched what else there is to do around Port Canaveral, to be honest!

Check out the Florida departure board and there is a thred all about Port Canaveral (The New I work in Port Canaveral). There are two people that work at the port that check the board and post in that thred frequently. They will be able to help with anything you need. Also, we are taking our 1 year old to Disney and are very excited. Yes, we know it will be completely different than going before we had children and we will be going at a much slower pace but we are going because it will be so amazing to see his little face light up. I recommend doing what you think will be best for your family, if you want to go, then go. Only you know what your family will be able to handle. I would also recommend renting a car though (and possibly a van since you have so many going). There are multiple rental companies that pick you up from port in a shuttle, you can go get your car and then go. Then do the same on the way back. We actually are going to Disney the day before our cruise, renting a car and driving to port so we can have a car seat. And will do the reverse on the way back to get to the airport. Hope that helps.

I'd skip it - it will be packed, and you will be getting to the parks so late! AK is different from a zoo, plus doesn't it close around 5? The line for the safari ride will most likely be over an hour. I wouldn't want to stand in hours of lines for just a few attractions with a one year old.

We went to a state park beach 5 minutes from the port in Cape Canaveral - small waves, clean restrooms, snack bar.

i appreciate all of your input! We're also traveling with another couple and their two children (1 and 4) and they would also like to do disney. I have read that the distance between the port and the parks is 1 hour travel time each way, we weren't too worried about that. I'm just wondering how others have gotten around with young kids? I know getting to the parks will not be stress free, but we would really like to make the effort to do disney!

However, i love all of the other suggestions that are being thrown about. If there is anything else anyone can think of i'd be happy to learn about it. I really know nothing about port canaveral, we really just booked this cruise to take an easy vacation right out of nyc - an hour drive from our home!

I wasn't thrilled with the ports (port canaveral, nassau, great stirrup cay) but am super excited about getting away for a week. can't wait to have someone else cook, clean, etc. For our family! It will be a much needed break :) i really haven't researched what else there is to do around port canaveral, to be honest!

amen to that.. :)

Travel on a bus with an infant is problematic. There are no seat belts on a motorcoach, so there's no real way to secure a car seat down. I've never experienced a bus company supplying seats either.

Our first Disney cruise with all three of my kids occurred when my youngest was around 18months old. We flew down to Orlando and hopped on the Disney Cruise bus, child in lap.

It's a bus... you're in a big metal tube that weighs more than a car, and people usually drive a little more carefully around them (only a little ;)) because bus + car = dented bus + totalled car.

Accidents can happen, but fortunately, they are few and far between with busses.

In regards to taking the baby to the Disney Parks... The kids under the age of 3 will enjoy free admission, which is probably why they're squeezing you for the bus seat. So, the kids are free to enjoy the park (but too young to ride the rides) which leaves the full enjoyment of the park to the adults.

Only problem is that you can't ride the rides with the kids at that age. Someone will have to watch the baby and wander around while their spouse is waiting on a line.

It's something to consider, especially considering the cost of the admission to the park(s), but you don't necessarily HAVE to ride on the rides to enjoy Disney World...

Although, for $82/adult ticket, you'd BETTER enjoy the park!

I think it'd be kinda neat to have baby in a picture with Cinderella's Castle and Mickey or something as a keepsake... I wonder if it can be photoshop'd...

:p

edit:

Oh.. and watch out for taking a vacation in Manhattan right now...

I live 45min outside NYC in Jersey, my brother-in-law lives around 38th and Madison.

He has gone completely mental about the bed bug problem. Guy won't go to a movie theater, even by me in Jersey.

Apparently, even the most posh NY hotels are experiencing a bed bug issue.

I know they closed the Juicy Coutour flagship store in Times Square recently because of bed bugs.

http://articles.cnn.com/2010-12-01/us/new.york.bed.bugs_1_bedbugs-national-pest-management-association-clothing-store?_s=PM:US

The "shkeevy" factor sets in when I think about it. Took the family to see the Radio City show last weekend... and midtown was still a ZOO... so it can't be THAT bad, amirite?

Only problem is that you can't ride the rides with the kids at that age. Someone will have to watch the baby and wander around while their spouse is waiting on a line.

?

Actually, most of the rides at WDW have no height restrictions, and for the ones that do, there is a thing called babyswap. The whole family waits in line, one parent rides, the other parent is given a fastpass, and can then get on the fastpass ride when the other parent returns.

But again, I wouldn't go during spring break, with only 1/2 day, getting to the parks in the afternoon.

You've all given me some great insight. I didn't realize the park closed so early, however we were planning on it being a short day. BUT - I'm thinking that will be just too short. Ship doesn't even dock until 12. I'm thinking we may start to reconsider and try to come up with other ideas. I don't mind having to rent a car, not a huge deal, maybe the best idea for our family at this point. That or staying on the boat (maybe that's the answer!)

We're going to Blue Lagoon in Nassau and Great Stirrup Cay both for some fun on the beach and in the water. Maybe it wouldn't kill us to stay on the ship and enjoy it for the day.

Any other suggestions? Feel free to shoot them at me :D

acceber32 - Thanks for the resource on the Florida departure board. I'll be heading over there now!

I suppose you could try the Kennedy Space Center... since you're right there at Cape Canaveral.

It's a space museum, and has rockets and stuff outside to stare at.... but more importantly, it's a science center.

Kids love science centers... press a button, something starts moving.

It may be too much for the little ones, but the 4 year old might enjoy it.

Play-Dome_rdax_248x181.jpg

http://www.kennedyspacecenter.com/

Archived