please settle discussion about room steward's accomodations

GinDon

Scenario: Young lady and room steward are attracted to each other, and hate to say "good-by" at end of cruise. They exchange phone #'s. Are in daily contact by phone (he calls her). Room steward is telling young lady that he can arrange for her to go on a cruise that he works on, for FREE, and that she can stay in his cabin with him.

Is this right? Do room stewards have private cabins? They aren't very high on the totem pole as far as crew is concerned, I find it hard to believe they have private cabins. Also don't see how in heavens name they can get a free cruise for someone.

I, being older, (o.k., MUCH older) think young lady is being taken for a ride. So, what's the deal.............is this guy telling the truth?

Scenario: Young lady and room steward are attracted to each other, and hate to say "good-by" at end of cruise. They exchange phone #'s. Are in daily contact by phone (he calls her). Room steward is telling young lady that he can arrange for her to go on a cruise that he works on, for FREE, and that she can stay in his cabin with him.

Is this right? Do room stewards have private cabins? They aren't very high on the totem pole as far as crew is concerned, I find it hard to believe they have private cabins. Also don't see how in heavens name they can get a free cruise for someone.

I, being older, (o.k., MUCH older) think young lady is being taken for a ride. So, what's the deal.............is this guy telling the truth?

Based on what I have read, and photos seen-first this young man unless a "staff member -management,entertainment" definitely has shared accomodations similar to riding in a train or living in a very small dorm room.

Most important-it is against rules to fraternize with cruise passengers and to get her on ship would likely be against rules also logisistically. That is why room stewards leave cabin door open when speaking with passengers- Besides this crew member is likely working 16 hours plus and no time for her.

IMO-a bad idea all together.

I know that sometimes staff can arrange to trade cabins and may book a cabin. As far as time off, maybe it's during his scheduled vacation? As far as free, maybe he's getting a reduced rate (I know my PVP gets similar to Early Saver rates as an employee) and he's picking up the tab? Although unlikely, I wouldn't say it's entirely out of the question.

it is my understanding that suitable a comodation is made available for crew members when thy have "visitors" for a cruise.

Said visitor is no longer a passenger so the fraternization issue is now moot.

I agree it is now moot point-but when first met it was probably a "frowned upon" relationship.

Not my daughter, but a RELATIVE. NO, I have not been watching Love Boat. And I am not just looking for a scandal. This sounds fishy to me, I was just trying to inform myself of what the deal is, and then I would decide if maybe I should breech the subject with her. She's a nice young lady, and I would hate to see her made to feel foolish.

I usually get good info on these boards. I guess the message I'm getting today is that I should mind my own business. Point taken.

Not my daughter, but a RELATIVE. NO, I have not been watching Love Boat. And I am not just looking for a scandal. This sounds fishy to me, I was just trying to inform myself of what the deal is, and then I would decide if maybe I should breech the subject with her. She's a nice young lady, and I would hate to see her made to feel foolish.

I usually get good info on these boards. I guess the message I'm getting today is that I should mind my own business. Point taken.

I think the message is that most people on this message board in the short amount of time since you posted likely do not have any first-hand knowledge in order to provide you accurate responses & information. We don't know if he is telling the truth or not.

While I agree that there can be a wealth of info here about cruising, many topics such as this one typically include speculation, opinions & suggestions, just like this one. You can certainly share your concerns with the "young lady", but in the end, she is the only one who makes the choices in her life.

I'm reluctant to post as this is somewhat personal....

My fiance is a crew memeber. He's entertainment staff so he does have his own cabin. Usually he books a passenger cabin on the "family" discount and he stays with me for the cruise. However I must sign a waver before he can enter my cabin. For my next cruise the family discount was no discount (NYE) so I will try staying in his cabin for the first time. There was a very small fee for this. Should be interesting!

What you should know is that I believe that this does not apply to "girlfriend" or "date" but I could be wrong. I booked my own cabin when we were dating.

I think people here are just having a little fun so try not to take the posts personally. I thought the "under the bed comment" was hilarious too. :o

She was on a week long cruise - there are 52 of them a year - that is 52 possible liaisons that this young man may have had - how many other young ladies has he made this promise to. I would be extremely cautious in persuing this type of relationship. He may be very sincere and truthful but personally I would not take the chance. The crew quarters are very small and two to a cabin for the majority of them - does not allow for much privacy. As another poster said - they have very little spare time and what time they do have is probably spent sleeping.

Archived