Taking on a case of wine

Rpeter

Because we are doing a B2B, we decided to take a case of wine in a rolling wine carrier. Andy recently dislocated his shoulder and his right arm has very limited use, so the responsibility of handling the wine carrier will probably fall on me. It is heavy!! We are going on the Pearl out of Miami. Is there a ramp up to the entrance into the building? I don't remember seeing one. Also, we plan to grab lunch in the Summer Palace the first day because I don't want to lug the carry-on into the Garden Buffet. Is there a ramp to the Summer Palace, because I know you have to walk down a set of stairs to get in there.

Already bought the wine, so I am committed to taking it. Plus, they don't have our favorite wine on board.

Thanks,

Bobbie

NCL does not allow alcohol to be brought on board. Here is a quote from their Welcome Aboard booklet " IMPORTANT NOTE: Guests are not allowed to bring alcoholic beverages of any kind on board." I've seen them on several occasions take alcohol from people trying to sneek it onto the ship. Good luck!

You are correct that they do not allow liquor or beer on board, but they do allow you to bring wine on board and pay the corkage fee (which we intend to do). We, and others on this board, have brought wine and paid the fee. I am just asking if anybody knows if there is a ramp at the pier and to the Summer Palace.

Thanks again,

Bobbie

NCL does not allow alcohol to be brought on board. Here is a quote from their Welcome Aboard booklet " IMPORTANT NOTE: Guests are not allowed to bring alcoholic beverages of any kind on board." I've seen them on several occasions take alcohol from people trying to sneek it onto the ship. Good luck!

You can take wine on NCL ships, but you have to pay a corkage fee.

OP, I have no answers for your questions, but I wish you the best of luck hauling that wine around. I do not envy that task!! BUT, it would seem to me that you could use whatever handicap accessible features they have to help you out.

Yes you can bring as much wine on board as you would like , but you will be charged $15 per bottle corkage fee.

Once on the ship you will be able to use elevators to get to almost all locations. Miami has escalators up and down but if memory serves I do believe there are a few steps outside coming into the building.

If I were you Id split the wine between the 2 of you and go with a backpack ..;)

Roll on is the way to go.

I believe there is an elevator that goes down to the lower entrance to the dining room. HDCP people get there that way.

And, to the person that mis-spoke. You certainly can take all the wine onboard you want. Done weekly and never a problem. Ever.

In the bank of aft elevators, there is at least one that takes you down to deck 6. If you get in one that doesn't go down there, take the elevator to deck 7, get off and press the "Down" button. The elevator that does go there will stop, you can get on and go down to the ramp entrance to Summer Palace.

I have read on these boards of people just checking their sodas with a room tag and sending through the porter and it arrives fine. You could do that with the case of wine, you will have to pick it up later to pay the corkage, but that way you would not be hauling it around.

Just a thought!

In the bank of aft elevators, there is at least one that takes you down to deck 6. If you get in one that doesn't go down there, take the elevator to deck 7, get off and press the "Down" button. The elevator that does go there will stop, you can get on and go down to the ramp entrance to Summer Palace.

After I posted this, I looked at the deck plans, and the elevator that goes down to deck 6 is the second from the far starboard elevator.

If you were to face forward as you're looking at the elevators and number them from left to right, the elevator you want is number 3.

I can't even fathom taking a case of wine on board. I guess I'm not picky enough about my wine to pay all that corkage and go through the hassle of hauling the case to my room. To the question at hand though, I like the idea from the previous poster that would have you declare it and pay the corkage, then hand it off to a Porter to be delivered. Some risk there if its left in the hall, I guess, but it would certainly be easier.

In most (maybe all) situation, when you give stuff to the porters, it goes through the baggage handling process. There is no place to pay the corkage fee. It will go to naughty room and you can go there to claim it,and pay the corkage fee.

If taking onboard yourself, you pay at a table just after going through security scan.

You may be able to enlist the help of someone while you are waiting in line or as you board. I know that my DH or myself would certainly help someone, especially a woman, struggling with luggage, etc. So CC'ers, keep your eyes out for the OP and be a good do-bee and help her out :D

Already bought the wine, so I am committed to taking it. Plus, they don't have our favorite wine on board.

Thanks,

Bobbie

Bobbie, I'm confused... you're in MD, right? And you're leaving from Miami, right? And you already bought the wine... so isn't it there with you in MD? Or did you buy it in FL? If you bought it at home, how are you getting it to FL?

Shelli - We will be driving to Miami.

raventhebouv - Thanks for your kindness to help. Too bad you won't be at the pier in Miami on the 16th of Jan:)

garycarla - My second thought was to just let it go to the Naughty Room, but I really don't want to stand in that line for perhaps an hour. I am prepared to roll it to the security desk to pay the corkage.

odblnt - Thanks for pointing out the correct elevator to use. We will do that.

Thanks to everyone for your helpful answers.

Bobbie

When we boarded Sky this weekend you could drop all your carry on off at a location until the rooms were ready. It was on the same deck as we boarded so I'm sure you can do that. I would recommend finding a sturdy roller that you can bungee the wine to and just roll it. And yes, there was a ramp up to security. They have to have them everywhere (or lifts) for wheelchair access. Good luck. As the cheapest bottle on board was $22 I can see paying the $15 and knowing you will have "your" wine.:D

Shelli - We will be driving to Miami.

raventhebouv - Thanks for your kindness to help. Too bad you won't be at the pier in Miami on the 16th of Jan:)

garycarla - My second thought was to just let it go to the Naughty Room, but I really don't want to stand in that line for perhaps an hour. I am prepared to roll it to the security desk to pay the corkage.

odblnt - Thanks for pointing out the correct elevator to use. We will do that.

Thanks to everyone for your helpful answers.

Bobbie

Bobbie,

You won't be standing in line for an hour at the Naughty Room. We always take at least a case of wine with us and spread the bottles among our suitcases. When you get the letter to go to the Naughty Room, don't wait until the time they tell you to go. Everything is already set up. We typically go 30-45 minutes ahead of time.

Rpeter, hope you get the expensive kind above $15 since you'll be charge $15 per bottle corkage fee. Don't think they like us bringing wine since they cannot make any $$ on us but who care. :D

FYI, when you go to any of the restaurants including MDR for lunch or dinner where you don't finish your bottle wine and don't want to take it back to your room, they can put a sticker and give you a wine slip. On your next meal, give them your wine slip and they will bring your bottle wine to you (even if is from a different restaurant) which I like.

Have a nice cruise!

Hello - I just wondered if I take a bottle of wine in my carry on and pay the corkage fee when boarding, can I pay cash or does it get charged to your onboard account like everything else?

Charged to your shipboard account.

Because we are doing a B2B, we decided to take a case of wine in a rolling wine carrier. Andy recently dislocated his shoulder and his right arm has very limited use, so the responsibility of handling the wine carrier will probably fall on me. It is heavy!! We are going on the Pearl out of Miami. Is there a ramp up to the entrance into the building? I don't remember seeing one. Also, we plan to grab lunch in the Summer Palace the first day because I don't want to lug the carry-on into the Garden Buffet. Is there a ramp to the Summer Palace, because I know you have to walk down a set of stairs to get in there.

Thanks,

Bobbie

Hopefully I will not get flamed for asking something off topic, but where did you get the wine carrier? We are planning on bringing about 8 bottles of wine ourselves, and a wine carrier seems like a great idea!

Michelle

Archived