resolute stranded

resolute

we were on the constellation 12/4,southern carribean out of Ft. Lauderdale. We were medically taken off by ambulance after assessment by the ship's Dr. due to my husband's condition. We have been in St. Lucia for 6 nights in the hospital. My question is how careful to file paperwork with the travel insurance and other bills. We are covered by travel insurance and have excellent U.S. insurance. I could use any suggestions to help us.

So sorry to hear that your husband has been in distress. Which travel insurance company do you have coverage with? Have you spoken to them? They will be able to give you instructions about what is covered and how to file claims. You will probably find that your U.S. insurance will not cover you when you are out of the country, so you should also be speaking with them. Our thoughts are with you.

Every travel insurance company I've delt with has had a traveler's assistance phone number with the documents. Part of your coverage is help they give you in a situation like yours. Most of these accept collect phone calls from outside the US.

Best of luck with your situation. Hope your husband is feeling better soon!

thanks for replies. We have contact with the travel insurance, the one through Celebrity, they are helpful. I was just wondering how diligent in every bit of paperwork with the concern if it is not filled out to their satisfaction, there will be denials. We are carefully being medically managed and are totally in the hands of the medical staff until he is deemed medically safe to travel. Again, any comments are welcome.:rolleyes:

There really is no way to tell what will happen ahead of time, especially without knowing anything about the company your insurance is with, so I'm sure all of us will urge you to document everything, keep every little bit of paper they give you, and, for now, just concentrate on his care. Should something be denied, they should tell you why it was denied and you can re-submit it.

Having had to do a couple of small medical claims, keep everything!!!. You can always throw it away at the end of the day, but you can bet if you don't keep one seemingly insignificant piece of paperwork, the insurance company will get out of their obligations somehow. I know it is a right pain, especially when you are trying to care for or support a loved one, but it's the best thing to do. Hope everything works out fine.

Simon

Having had to do a couple of small medical claims, keep everything!!!. You can always throw it away at the end of the day, but you can bet if you don't keep one seemingly insignificant piece of paperwork, the insurance company will get out of their obligations somehow. I know it is a right pain, especially when you are trying to care for or support a loved one, but it's the best thing to do. Hope everything works out fine.

Simon

I absolutely concur with Simon. The more documentation, the better. Also, be sure to keep copies of everything as well. My best wishes are with you and your husband.

I would also think that if your Travel Insurance was purchased through Celebrity, their Port Agent in St Lucia might be a good resource for questions, or making copies, or gathering info. Hopefully they put you in touch with that Agent, if not maybe contact Celebrity for that Agent's name and local phone.

Hope your husband is doing okay and that you can get back home soon. I always thought it would be ideal to be left in St Lucia (my favorite island), however your situation is WAY different. Try to keep your spirits up.

Tiki

Sorry for your problems. i do not know what the health care is like in St Lucia but have you looked at a medical evacuation back to the states? Your husband would not necessarily have to be fit to travel as you are basically put on a flying ambulance/hospital. Might be something to look in to so you can get home to your doctors. Most Travel insurance plans have provisions for this.

This is a great reason as to why you should ALWAYS buy trip insurance.

Best of luck!

B.

Make sure you have or get a copy of your policy. Earlier this year I had a non-medical claim. The agent told me it wasn't covered. I sat down and read the policy and felt it should have been covered. I called back, was told no by a second agent. I then said "section xxx of the policy says...". She put me on hold, then came back and said yes, it was covered. I then had to fill out a bunch of forms. After about 3 weeks I got a check.

Hope things are working out ok for you, resolute, and your husband.

John

I obtained a letter from the ship doctor on ship letterhead detailing what happened & treatment received plus my EKG & copies of test results. I also submitted a detailed list of the medical charges. Since this was a pre-existing condition I only dealt with my insurance company. I submitted all my paperwork & followed up with a phone call to be sure my claim was received & was completed.

In my three experiences of making claims for travel related experiences (over 15 yrs, all pre-trip events, 1 for me, one for husband and one because of a traveling companion) I found that the key is to have EXCELLENT DOCUMENTATION FROM THE DOCTORS, particularly those who say he cannot go home yet (or in my case, cruise at all). Without good documentation there may be a real hassle. In my three cases the doctors were wonderful and all was paid in a timely manner. Of course, my claims were much simpler as I only had the costs of the cruise and airfare to claim.

So, good documentation from the doctors, keep ALL relevant receipts (as stated by another) and do a serious job of filling out you claim paperwork. (Yes, it is a real pain, but the payoff is worth it.)

Archived