Noordam 12/23, assigned Handicap VD4131

debcruising

Hi, my friend and I are sailing on the Noordam 12/23-12/30 Western Caribbean. We booked a guaranteed "V" and we were just assigned Handicapped Room VD4131, on the Upper Promenade Deck. Neither of us need a walker or wheelchair.

Does anyone have a photo of a VD class room, or know the Square Footage and layout? When I called my TA and Holland, they said the ship is sold out, so no upsells or room changes.

My TA said that Holland claims a Handicapped Room is 30SQ Feet larger, which I find hard to believe. I know there is a walk in shower and no bathtub.

But I read on one site that there is no couch or table in the room so as to accomodate wheelchairs.

Also, that Upper Promenade has a lot of noise from the deck below. Our room is right above the Photo Gallery.

Did we do OK? This is our first time on Holland and for a balcony.

We've been on Carnival, Royal Caribbean, Princess, Cunard, Norweign.

We are just nervous Thanks!

Hi, my friend and I are sailing on the Noordam 12/23-12/30 Western Caribbean. We booked a guaranteed "V" and we were just assigned Handicapped Room VD4131, on the Upper Promenade Deck. Neither of us need a walker or wheelchair.

Does anyone have a photo of a VD class room, or know the Square Footage and layout? When I called my TA and Holland, they said the ship is sold out, so no upsells or room changes.

My TA said that Holland claims a Handicapped Room is 30SQ Feet larger, which I find hard to believe. I know there is a walk in shower and no bathtub. Handicap- accessible rooms ARE larger, by as much as 1/3. People in wheelchairs need that space to turn around, maneuver between beds and doors, etc. While I've not yet cruised on HAL, that estimate probably is accurate.

There would be a walk-in (roll-in) shower, with no threshhold or step between cabin and bathroom. This might mean that, if you shower in rocky seas, you'll spill water out of the shower, across the floor, and into your cabin. You might want to ask your steward for extra towels that you can roll up and lay along the edge of the shower to catch the water before it gets that far. You'll have a shower seat of some sort, possibly a raised toilet, extra grab bars around the toilet and sink, as well.

But I read on one site that there is no couch or table in the room so as to accomodate wheelchairs. There is likely no couch or stuffed chairs, but there is a small table and upright chairs. You could ask your room steward if there is any extra furniture available, should you want or need it.

Also, that Upper Promenade has a lot of noise from the deck below. Our room is right above the Photo Gallery.

I can't speak about the other issues..except that when you book a guarantee, you pretty much get whatever is available. During holiday season the ships are full..so it sounds like you're pretty much stuck with what you have.

I suspect you'll ahve a good cruise anyway!

My TA said that Holland claims a Handicapped Room is 30SQ Feet larger, which I find hard to believe. I know there is a walk in shower and no bathtub.

But I read on one site that there is no couch or table in the room so as to accomodate wheelchairs.

Thanks to fellow CC members, I have photos of VD 4132 another HC stateroom on Zuiderdam (sister ship to Oosterdam) . The layout will be almost exactly the same, decor may be different but not much else: http://joanjett2000.topcities.com/HAL/Zuiderdam/index.html

The Bathroom will look very similar to this:

sm-Shower-5001_Pegira.JPG

[

sm-Shower-n-Toilet-5001_Pegira.JPG

uppitycats has done an excellent job of accurately describing your stateroom!!

You should hear nothing from below you as the photo studio and gallery are quiet locations and are not bar, lounges or music/show venues.

Joanie

Your room IS larger, as is your balcony, it is one of the cabins on "the Hump" (at a point on the ship where it transitions to be wider just beyond the lifeboat stowage).

Take a look at the deck plans on Holland America's site and you will understand.

Below you is the open promenade (walking deck) the photo gallery is further in closer to the center line of the ship, noise should not be an issue.

We've had several VD cabins, including over the photo gallery....I like them for the extra verandah size and we've never had a problem with noise. I know a few are over the galley, which might be a bit noisier, but we really like the location.

We've had several VD cabins, including over the photo gallery....I like them for the extra verandah size and we've never had a problem with noise. I know a few are over the galley, which might be a bit noisier, but we really like the location.

We also enjoyed our VD on our last cruise, especially the extra verandah size. We would choose a VD the next time we book a balcony. Unfortunately this year I am going to be in interior staterooms for two cruises in a row. I will probably feel like I have been living in a cave for 3 weeks.:rolleyes:

diane

Handicap- accessible rooms ARE larger, by as much as 1/3. People in wheelchairs need that space to turn around, maneuver between beds and doors, etc. While I've not yet cruised on HAL, that estimate probably is accurate.

No - most handicap/accessible rooms are larger... some are actually smaller than regular rooms of the same category. It depends on the room and the ship.

We also enjoyed our VD on our last cruise, especially the extra verandah size. We would choose a VD the next time we book a balcony. Unfortunately this year I am going to be in interior staterooms for two cruises in a row. I will probably feel like I have been living in a cave for 3 weeks.:rolleyes:

diane

But better a cave on a ship than at home with the vacuum cleaner! Enjoy your trip.

I had an HC room as well on my NA sail in October and we had the roll in shower. After reading everything on CC i was so nervous that our cabin would always have water all over it, but this really isn't the case. We had few occasions where a small (read not even a part of a towels worth) of water escaped over the drain system.

We had no couch, and only 1 chair and a small table in the room. We simply asked for another chair, which we were given. I wasn't planning to hang out in the room much anyway so there really wasn't much need for a couch, just used the bed. The verandah for mine was also on "the hump" and was considerably larger than the regular sized verandahs.

You did your part by calling them and asking if there was anywhere else as you weren't handicapped, which I did too, and they actually said wow, most people love to get this room. I guess we aren't most people, and we want to make sure those that need them, get them, so don't worry, you did all you could.

Nothing left to do but go and enjoy! :) Take lots of pics for Joanie too of the cabin so she has more photos for her handicap accessible pages!

We have been in 4043 on three cruises and never heard a thing from above or below. The photo gallery should be a pretty quiet area to be above it - it closes pretty early.

Archived