Tipping Butler and Concierge

samplecd01

Do you tip in specialty restaurant? I understand that it's up to the individual but what people normally do and how much?

We want to try Ocean Blue ($35 pp+ 15% gratitudes I assume )) on the Breakaway and I'm not sure if I should leave the tip in addition to the service charge they put on your bill.

Edited by Aldeya

I still think the tip depends on the level of service. If it starts off good i always try to give a bit in the beginning and then more at the end. When I sailed last year in the Haven the concierge Ryan was the worst. Never friendly, always made it seem like he was doing me a big favor when i asked a question and his tip reflected his level of service.

And believe me I am not one of those passengers who constantly asks the concierge and butler for things. Kadek the butler was a wonderful thoughtful and kind person and his tip reflected.

Dont feel obligated to tip

Do you tip in specialty restaurant? I understand that it's up to the individual but what people normally do and how much?

We want to try Ocean Blue ($35 pp+ 15% gratitudes I assume )) on the Breakaway and I'm not sure if I should leave the tip in addition to the service charge they put on your bill.

I tip even when there is not a bill. I give $10 per meal for good service, and less or more dependant on service.

Cherie

Thanks for explaining the procedure. I always write a note to accompany the cash I give, so including the voucher slip will be easy to include. One more question...if you tip extra to your room steward, will the money go in the general daily service charge fund, or will that particular person receive it?

Debbie, we do this for the Concierge, Butler, Cabin Steward and Cagney's Servers. It is a safe cashless way to tip, and the hand written note is a special touch I enjoy.

Cherie

I tip even when there is not a bill. I give $10 per meal for good service, and less or more dependant on service.

Cherie

We pretty much do the same thing.. It just seems right, the service is almost always fantastic!

Robin

We pretty much do the same thing.. It just seems right, the service is almost always fantastic!

Robin

Robin, we are in a Gem GV next week with 7. What do you suggest as a tip for the Butler? I have been hemming over this. We will have 4 adults and 3 kids.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Cherie

And should not be expected when your boss does not like to pay you for a job well done or not so well done

In The Haven/Villa yes you have a butler, concierge, cabin steward and the courtyard steward and if they were are good / great - yes there should be a tip

On our last cruise 5/4-5/11, everyone but the concierge was tipped he gave me the impression I was disturbing him for the very few times I had a question -and yes it was Ryan terrible and who saw him

We named him Claud Reins --- the invisible man

There are times the auto service charge is a good idea and then not so good idea . I play it by ear. My family and I work/ worked in a field of services a tip depended on how great the service was. Not to get it confused with --- expecting it

And should not be expected when your boss does not like to pay you for a job well done or not so well done

In The Haven/Villa yes you have a butler, concierge, cabin steward and the courtyard steward and if they were are good / great - yes there should be a tip

On our last cruise 5/4-5/11, everyone but the concierge was tipped he gave me the impression I was disturbing him for the very few times I had a question -and yes it was Ryan terrible and who saw him

We named him Claud Reins --- the invisible man

There are times the auto service charge is a good idea and then not so good idea . I play it by ear. My family and I work/ worked in a field of services a tip depended on how great the service was. Not to get it confused with --- expecting it

Ryan was only helpful the first day he came on board! lol Then after that I only saw him when we were disembarking!

jmho but it seems tipping guidelines are 7-10 per person per day some people say gv is the cream of crop so tip accordingly. you will get amazing service in the garden villa and then there is the haven butler, it can get pricey but I guess if your in the gv then you should expect to pay for great service. have a blast I would love to do gv. search on line you can find some others thoughts on tipping

Reading this shows how personal tipping is. Heck, another thread a poster asked why the OP cared they lost $400 in an ATM (as if it were a slot machine). I will not tip $10 per person per day day to get a cup of coffee and whatever treat NCL includes with the stateroom. You don't get a tip for just breathing. Now if I checked a case of wine into baggage, so I don't have to carry it on, and the butler takes care of it (yes, charges the corkage) . . . tip. Bottle of wine to the room, tip - but I'd do the same for room service. Daily treats, ok, there is something there, but not 4x$10.

First and only time I was in the Haven called for the $5 pizza for my 5 and 3 year old. They seemed shocked and asked if I would like my butler to bring it. Honest answer: whoever can bring it faster. I don't need white gloves, I have two children that want a freaking pizza. And the pizza sucked :-) But the butler did call to confirm so I had a chance to add a bottle of Malbec. Not all bad.

I'm glad there are people around that blow their noses on $100's to help out the staff and keep cruising affordable for the rest of us!

Edited by gcsmith
spelling

The room steward I gave $250. She was like a ninja, getting in and out of our cabin in a short period of time most days. Also, I could hear her out in the hallway singing most days, which was nice. And she was such a pleasure to talk to. In hindsight, I should have given her $300 too because she did more work than the butler. I don't know why I never realized that before, and now I kind of feel a little bad about it.

You did tip the steward much more than you tipped your butler. The steward gets a large chunk of the DSC, the butler gets zero. You probably ended up tipping the steward around $144 from the DSC alone, if there was two of you in the cabin. That plus the $250 cash makes a tidy $400 tip for the steward and only $300 for the butler.

Robin, we are in a Gem GV next week with 7. What do you suggest as a tip for the Butler? I have been hemming over this. We will have 4 adults and 3 kids.

Cherie

I would start at $1000 and adjust based on any extra needs the kids might have.

Wow, the butler gets $1000 for breathing for one cabin? Could you pay for my next cruise? I know this is an opinion . . . but in your opinion what is extra. Let's put it this way: I'm staying in the Waldorf Astoria, New York City. So I expect to pay $5 for each bag delivered and $5 to hail a cab. So I call room service and ask for a pot of coffee and the hotel director sends me some canapes each night for a week. So 10 bags, round trip = $5 * 10 * 2 = $100. $5 * 7 for canapes and a few taxi rides. I'm well under $200 for the week and in NYC would have tipped the bell boy for the bags, someone else for the cab.

Are you getting illegal drugs, favors or just the feeling of having illegal drugs from your butler? He does have other cabins. I'm over 6 figures, but I could quit my job and just service the two GV suites for 50 weeks and do great with the US deduction on foreign earnings.

Why $1,000? $10x7x7= $490 I know there will be extras in the villa that the cabin stewards and the Butlers will take care of. I tipped more in the DOS because of the size of the cabin,balcony and the hot-tub. I tipped the butler more because he had to walk the stairs to 15 and served us meal by meal.

I will not pay more just because it is a gv, but I am trying to determine factors that would deem additional tips.

Cherie

Why $1,000? $10x7x7= $490 I know there will be extras in the villa that the cabin stewards and the Butlers will take care of. I tipped more in the DOS because of the size of the cabin,balcony and the hot-tub. I tipped the butler more because he had to walk the stairs to 15 and served us meal by meal.

I will not pay more just because it is a gv, but I am trying to determine factors that would deem additional tips.

Cherie

Cherie

Wow that suggestion is not a generous tip it is a purchase. You are not buying a Butler for a week you are using his service. $1000 is absolutely absurd IMHO.

Did someone say Ryan is the Concierge on the Gem now? That will probably save us some money..

Cherie

Wow that suggestion is not a generous tip it is a purchase. You are not buying a Butler for a week you are using his service. $1000 is absolutely absurd IMHO.

Did someone say Ryan is the Concierge on the Gem now? That will probably save us some money..

;) It seems absurd to me as well. We do not plan on dining in at all as it would require too much of the Butler to serve 7. I set everything up with the pre-concierge desk so not to have to ask for things along the way. I hope Ryan steps up to the plate and facilitates the requests.

I want to give a fair yet reasonable tip, but I just can not anticipate all of the determining factors as this is the first gv (and most likely last) for us.

Cherie

Cherie

Hi Nalagh :)!

It really depends on what you use your butler for and how comfortable you are with the numbers. The butler in the GV on the Jade was outstanding - our tip averaged $375 per week for four people, including two parties over two weeks (we had him just set up food and glassware, no drinks, and he didn't stay for either party), and two served dinners and several breakfasts over the two weeks.. The service in the GV is beyond belief - extremely attentive and inconspicuous at the same time. You will want for nothing! I am sure this won't come out right, but there is an innate difference in service as the level of suite rises, and the GV service all around is simply exceptional. I think you will have an amazing cruise! I am in the GV on the Gem later this summer, and am looking SOOO forward to it!

For those who feel that whatever tip is simply not warranted, I implore you to look at all the behind-the-scenes work your butler and concierge do for you. Several of those items are "included in the cost of your suite" (like daily treats) but tipping for the service itself is not included. All those snacks, clean coffee machines, stocked glassware, invitations to parties and events, service at the parties, priority luggage tags, etc etc etc, have to be delivered by someone, and they are done, each and every day, most of the time without even a glimpse of the work being done. Everyone is of course welcome to tip at their level of comfort, but I do think that often people confuse the "inclusions" with the "service".

Robin

Cherie

I think $490 is a very fair number for seven people.

Robin

;) It seems absurd to me as well. We do not plan on dining in at all as it would require too much of the Butler to serve 7. I set everything up with the pre-concierge desk so not to have to ask for things along the way. I hope Ryan steps up to the plate and facilitates the requests.

I want to give a fair yet reasonable tip, but I just can not anticipate all of the determining factors as this is the first gv (and most likely last) for us.

Cherie

Don't be afraid to order in-room dining, especially Cagney's breakfast. It is a very easy delivery for the butler, even for seven people, and will show up piping hot from directly downstairs. It's a lovely way to start the day! :)

Robin

Hi Nalagh :)!

It really depends on what you use your butler for and how comfortable you are with the numbers. The butler in the GV on the Jade was outstanding - our tip averaged $375 per week for four people, including two parties over two weeks (we had him just set up food and glassware, no drinks, and he didn't stay for either party), and two served dinners and several breakfasts over the two weeks.. The service in the GV is beyond belief - extremely attentive and inconspicuous at the same time. You will want for nothing! I am sure this won't come out right, but there is an innate difference in service as the level of suite rises, and the GV service all around is simply exceptional. I think you will have an amazing cruise! I am in the GV on the Gem later this summer, and am looking SOOO forward to it!

For those who feel that whatever tip is simply not warranted, I implore you to look at all the behind-the-scenes work your butler and concierge do for you. Several of those items are "included in the cost of your suite" (like daily treats) but tipping for the service itself is not included. All those snacks, clean coffee machines, stocked glassware, invitations to parties and events, service at the parties, priority luggage tags, etc etc etc, have to be delivered by someone, and they are done, each and every day, most of the time without even a glimpse of the work being done. Everyone is of course welcome to tip at their level of comfort, but I do think that often people confuse the "inclusions" with the "service".

Robin

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your thoughts, as it is very much appreciated! We were on the Gem last year in 15000, and we were neglected by our very busy butler as the GV monopolized his time. I do not want to be the cause of other suites lacking in service.

I am very excited just to see the villa, much less stay in it! This really is a dream come true for me!:D When I stayed in 15000, I peaked over the wall a few times just to see the hot-tub and patio area. I told my husband then someday I will get to see it!

Cherie

Don't be afraid to order in-room dining, especially Cagney's breakfast. It is a very easy delivery for the butler, even for seven people, and will show up piping hot from directly downstairs. It's a lovely way to start the day! :)

Robin

It wouldn't be fair to tell someone it will be "piping hot". There is no way you can foresee that.

We ordered breakfast while in the OS on the Dawn. It was stone cold when it arrived. The only day we ordered it, and the only reason we did so, was because we had an early excursion. There wasn't anything we could do about it. We drank the juice, and ate a croisaant. But that's about it. We just left it.

We weren't even going to mention it, but our butler asked later that day if there was something wrong with our breakfast. We told him it was cold. He looked shocked and walked away. Honestly though, we weren't even going to mention it because there wasn't anything that could be done about it. What's done is done. Things happen.

Now the room service pizza we ordered one night was awesome. Piping hot. Fresh out of the oven.

I love cold pizza, so this was my response when I discovered the butler had taken 3/4's of the leftover pizza I was saving for later - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5R_pS0h5Qk

EDIT. seriously. I only ate 2 pieces. There was at least 6 or 8 huge slices left. Damn thing cost me 5 bucks too! :)

Edited by rajones007

It wouldn't be fair to tell someone it will be "piping hot". There is no way you can foresee that.

We ordered breakfast while in the OS on the Dawn. It was stone cold when it arrived. The only day we ordered it, and the only reason we did so, was because we had an early excursion. There wasn't anything we could do about it. We drank the juice, and ate a croisaant. But that's about it. We just left it.

We weren't even going to mention it, but our butler asked later that day if there was something wrong with our breakfast. We told him it was cold. He looked shocked and walked away. Honestly though, we weren't even going to mention it because there wasn't anything that could be done about it. What's done is done. Things happen.

Now the room service pizza we ordered one night was awesome. Piping hot. Fresh out of the oven.

I love cold pizza, so this was my response when I discovered the butler had taken 3/4's of the leftover pizza I was saving for later - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5R_pS0h5Qk

EDIT. seriously. I only ate 2 pieces. There was at least 6 or 8 huge slices left. Damn thing cost me 5 bucks too! :)

LOL on the pizza! No, I totally understand about the cold breakfast in the OS, we have had that problem as well. The thing about the GV (and other "In-the-Haven" suites) is that Cagney's kitchen is only a short hop away, making breakfast a fast and easy delivery. It seems to make all the difference - every breakfast we have had in the Haven has been hot, where OS or other suites away from the area have been cooler or downright cold.. That was more the point I was making.. Even the toast was usually still hot! :)

Robin

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your thoughts, as it is very much appreciated! We were on the Gem last year in 15000, and we were neglected by our very busy butler as the GV monopolized his time. I do not want to be the cause of other suites lacking in service.

I am very excited just to see the villa, much less stay in it! This really is a dream come true for me!:D When I stayed in 15000, I peaked over the wall a few times just to see the hot-tub and patio area. I told my husband then someday I will get to see it!

Cherie

Oh I totally understand you not wanting to monopolize the butler. We had the same issue with the other GV on our sailing. I won't go into details, but they were terribly nasty people all around.. Don't worry though, you can still thoroughly enjoy the villa and all it's services without being a bother :). I was simply amazed every day in there! Enjoy it!

Robin