Tipping Butler and Concierge

samplecd01

In my opinion some of the tipping mentioned on this board is way over the top.--

We have been staying in suites since we started cruising--the price of the suite includes the service of a concierge and butler--that is one of the perks you pay for in the fare for a suite---any tipping is extra and not necessary --most people do--but some people in my opinion go way over board---tipping should be at the discretion of the tipper--there is no minimum or maximum---people

that read these tipping threads are not obligated to any specific amount. On the average people tip less on the longer cruises--remember the steward is all ready included in your normal service charge and so are the waiters in speciality restaurants. Bar service fees are extra and you pay by drink or bottle.

Some people exaggerate on this board what they tip. Each individual needs to make a determination of what or she thinks is appropriate.

BG

Edited by big green

We have been staying in suites since we started cruising--the price of the suite includes the service of a concierge and butler--that is one of the perks you pay for in the fare for a suite---any tipping is extra and not necessary

If you refuse to tip your butler, I certainly hope you have a very good reason. The vast majority of their income is from tips you deem not necessary.

If you refuse to tip your butler, I certainly hope you have a very good reason. The vast majority of their income is from tips you deem not necessary.

I should have used the wording not required by NCL------does that clear it up.

BG

• 3 weeks later...

We just returned from the Gem today. We had Zahed as our butler and Ryan as the concierge. We think it was unfair for all the unfavorable comments about Ryan. He was there at the beginning. He was available each morning at the Star bar. Even though we made our own reservations, he would ask how our dinner was there. He knew where we had eaten. He knew our names on the second day. He asked to be of more help to us. We told him just knowing he was there was help enough. Our butler also was helpful but we didn't use his services. We told Ryan we would be very happy to cruise with him again.

We just returned from the Gem today. We had Zahed as our butler and Ryan as the concierge. We think it was unfair for all the unfavorable comments about Ryan. He was there at the beginning. He was available each morning at the Star bar. Even though we made our own reservations, he would ask how our dinner was there. He knew where we had eaten. He knew our names on the second day. He asked to be of more help to us. We told him just knowing he was there was help enough. Our butler also was helpful but we didn't use his services. We told Ryan we would be very happy to cruise with him again.

Happy to hear this. We have also enjoyed him very much!

I have to say that Ryan was very good on our cruise May 18-25th (I was not expecting that) he was so aloof our last 2 cruises with him. I was not at all disappointed with his service.

I have to say that Ryan was very good on our cruise May 18-25th (I was not expecting that) he was so aloof our last 2 cruises with him. I was not at all disappointed with his service.

Glad to hear this. Ryan has always treated us in an exceptional manner. :) I was excited that we would have him as our concierge again. He may be headed for the Getaway next year but I'm still hoping he's on the Breakaway in January instead. :)

Did someone say Ryan is the Concierge on the Gem now? That will probably save us some money..

I just received my pre cruise email for the breakaway and she said that Ryan wIll be my Concierge for my cruise.

IMHO... don't go thinking the worst of Ryan, just go and form your own opinion. We had a concierge that everyone raved about and I thought they were just okay. We had another that some liked and some didn't (unfortunately we didn't - but that worked out great for our steward as he as great so he got the tip they would have).:) We also had a butler on our first cruise that I really didn't care for but had her on another cruise and she was much better. Of course that is completely her choice but she was very stand-offish and we usually like to find out a little about the staff.:(

Hope you have a great cruise!:D

I just received my pre cruise email for the breakaway and she said that Ryan wIll be my Concierge for my cruise.

IMHO... don't go thinking the worst of Ryan, just go and form your own opinion. We had a concierge that everyone raved about and I thought they were just okay. We had another that some liked and some didn't (unfortunately we didn't - but that worked out great for our steward as he as great so he got the tip they would have).:) We also had a butler on our first cruise that I really didn't care for but had her on another cruise and she was much better. Of course that is completely her choice but she was very stand-offish and we usually like to find out a little about the staff.:(

Hope you have a great cruise!:D

I agree one thousand percent. I always keep an open mind. I never had a suite before, so I don't even know what to expect from Haven staff. :).

I work too hard all year at a stressful job and I look forward to my vacation time with my family. :). I just want my aft views and my family next to me.

Thanks.

I just got off Breakaway in a suite with butler service. He did so much for us that we slipped him a few dollars each time. Last night we were out with cruisers who have had butler service manytimes. We asked what was customary, they said a butler tip is $10 per day per person. They also told us the consierge is usually topped $5 per day per person. Someone also told us that if you do not tip adequately some of these people record this info. Not sure if that is correct but we tipped the standard plus the additional day by day.

With 4 of us in a room that would imply $60 in tips daily beyond the housekeeping/room steward. I have a hard time seeing how I could possibly use a butler and concierge so much that $60 per day would be justified. For an 11 day cruise that is... gulp... $660.

With 4 of us in a room that would imply $60 in tips daily beyond the housekeeping/room steward. I have a hard time seeing how I could possibly use a butler and concierge so much that $60 per day would be justified. For an 11 day cruise that is... gulp... $660.

You don't need to tip what others do; everyone tips differently. Tip what you feel is fair for how you used your butler and concierge.

• 1 year later...

Joined this party late but almost sorry I asked. We stayed in the Haven on a free upgrade and thus were not prepared for the experience or tipping. That being said, we are booked to sail again in January. We really utilized the butler very little only asked for a couple very minor things. The concierege we were very disappointed in. I asked a couple of times for a specialty dinner reservation and he said he would get back to us. He never did and the only way I found out he had made it was when I tried to book myself and was told I already had a reservation. We did though see him the last day. IMO the two hardest workers are the courtyard waiter and the cabin steward. As one poster stated I believe a lot of what you are paying the extra money for is the butler and concierge service. Sailing with four $10.00 a day pp is absurd for the butler for the times we used him.

When I made my reservations I prepaid gratuities . First time we are sailing in a suite so I asked multiple times about tipping. Poor reservation person finally, clearly, firmly started that EVERYBODY gets to share in the gratuities...even the butler. She said not to tip unless we felt that somebody (again she emphasized not only the butler) had really gone above and beyond. I asked agIn (being hardheaded) but aren't the butler and conceirge different for suites...she sighed..lol..and told me that yes but not for tipping...they get their percentage too...different in that I am charged more to stay in a suite for their services. Reading the boards it seems everybody would disagree with what NCL told me directly. Whatcha think?