San Francisco to San Diego

digitl

My wife and I will be joining a cruise in San Diego next October. We are thinking about flying into San Francisco early and driving down to San Diego.

Are there any 'must not miss' locations on the way?

How long should we allow for the trip?

We have already visited San Francisco and Los Angeles so we wouldn't want to spend any time in those cities on this trip.

My wife and I will be joining a cruise in San Diego next October. We are thinking about flying into San Francisco early and driving down to San Diego.

Are there any 'must not miss' locations on the way? Much pretty coast line. Big Sur. Hearst Castle. Pebble Beach/Monterey. Santa Cruz. Wine areas of Monterey, San Luis Obispo and Santa Barbara. The cities of San Luis Obispo and Santa Barbara. Pismo Beach. Or, in land, Yosemite, and other National Parks. There are several days worth of things, if you wish to explore.

How long should we allow for the trip? Most direct route? 9-10 hours, depending on time of day.

We have already visited San Francisco and Los Angeles so we wouldn't want to spend any time in those cities on this trip.

Not knowing you, it is hard to know what interests you. October is a great time to see much of this area.

Hearst Castle.

Jen in SoCal

Well...You could do it in anything from 8 hours up to two weeks...

Of course, in 8 hours, you won't see much...except maybe the lights of the California Highway Patrol in your rear view mirror! ;)

Yes, it really depends on what you want to see...

There are five main roads that span California from North to South:

Route 1, the coast route...scenic, but long and difficult in parts...

...it joins up then splits apart from time to time with Route 101...which is actually slightly inland...

Interstate 5...the "California Autobahn"...it is the least scenic route in the state, passing through virtually nothing of interest but allowing you to get from San Francisco to LA in about 5 to 6 hours...

Route 99...Passing through all the farming metropolises of the Central Valley

Route 395...inland along the Eastern Sierra and through the High Desert...

With lots of time and if you have a love of nature, you'd veer all the way inland, heading from San Francisco East, through Sacramento and across to Lake Tahoe, then South on 395, cutting back in through Yosemite on the Tioga Pass Road then south on 41 to Fresno, then back east through Kings Canyon and Sequoia National Parks before heading south on 99 to the 5 through LA and South to San Diego...Ideally on this route, you'd spend a couple of nights in Tahoe, a couple of nights, at least, in Yosemite and maybe a night in Sequoia, taking at least around a week to make the trip...You'd see a lot of incredible mountains, waterfalls and the largest trees in the world...The scenery is absolutely spectacular...

Assuming you are less adventurous, the more typical and more direct route with, still, a good number of attractions would be this one...

You'll depart San Francisco Airport, heading immediately South on the 101, then cut over on the 1 to Monterey and Carmel...This is John Steinbeck Country...Spend at least a night in Monterey, visit the Aquarium, Cannery Row and the Wharf and drive the 17 Mile Drive through Pebble Beach to Carmel, walk around Carmel then head south on the 1 DURING DAYLIGHT HOURS through the Big Sur (Scenic drive but not recommended at night) to San Simeon...Stay in this area overnight (If not San Simeon, then nearby and nicer Cambria) and, the next morning do at least one, if not two of the tours at Hearst Castle (an absolute not-to-be-missed on this route), then continue on down the 1/101 to the Santa Ynez Valley (Buellton/Solvang area)...plan on a couple of nights here--tour a couple of wineries and walk around the Danish town of Solvang--this is the Wine Country of the movie "Sideways"...Personally, I don't think much of the overhyped Split Pea Andersen's restaurant...My preference would be AJ Spurs or the Hitching Post--the two restaurants visited in Sideways...

After Solvang, I'd head across the San Marcos Pass into Santa Barbara...depending on your timing, you may want to spend a night here, visit the Mission and shop on Lower State Street

When you leave Santa Barbara, since you've already seen LA, you can head straight down toward San Diego...

Good luck...

Lots of ideas: thanks! Keep them coming!

We've seen Yosemite (did SF, Yosemite, Death Valley, Vegas, Grand Canyon, Bryce Canyon, LA five years ago) but the the Lake Tahoe idea sounds interesting, as does the 1/101 route.

I should have said we're not really into buildings, more scenery, and we have four full days in which to get to San Diego.

We've seen Yosemite (did SF, Yosemite, Death Valley, Vegas, Grand Canyon, Bryce Canyon, LA five years ago) but the the Lake Tahoe idea sounds interesting, as does the 1/101 route.

I should have said we're not really into buildings, more scenery, and we have four full days in which to get to San Diego.

Four days is a bit short to detour through Lake Tahoe...perhaps if you were flying into Reno, but flying into SFO, you'd have a 4-5 hour drive across to South Lake Tahoe, then 10 hours plus of driving time from there down to San Diego...doable, but a lot of driving...You are maybe spending two nights in South Lake Tahoe, a third at Mammoth, then driving about 8 hours from there to San Diego...

You are probably better served heading down 1/101, stopping in Monterey, San Simeon/Cambria and Solvang and trying to fit in Hearst Castle (it's a "building" I guess, but a spectacular building and really worth a visit)...the scenery isn't near what it is in the High Sierra, but it's pretty nice compared to most of the rest of the world...

But, again, it depends on what you like...

Definitely consider the coastal drive. I have driven up and down the CA coast many times and I never tire of the scenery. It's one of the greatest drive in the world. You can even start along the coast from near SFO. In October, The Half Moon Bay Art and Pumpkin Fest is a big attraction.http://www.miramarevents.com/pumpkinfest/facts.html Santa Cruz is a good lunch stop.

The Aquarium in Monterrey is a must if you have never been there, even though it is "a building." :p There are many nice places to stay in the area from large hotels to quaint and romantic inns in Carmel. Lots of good eats too. If you want to do something active, rent a kayak independently or join a guided tour to the kelp reefs. You will most likely see otters and seals up close and personal. If you want to stay dry, you can rent bikes or surreys to ride on a dedicated (no cars) coastal bike trail from Monterrey to Pacific Grove. I've seen many marine mammals along this trail too as the kelps are very close to shore.

Many people pay to drive on 17 mile drive (owned by the resorts) for the world famous scenery. I tell people to spend their money to support Point Lobos State Reserve instead. It is a shame that not many people, CA natives included, know about this place. http://www.pointlobos.org/arts/photography If you guys are in hiking shape, the coastal trail is breathtaking. Every turn reveals an awe inspiring vista. You will also see many divers launch from here.

The next big stretch is the "main event". You will see the famous Bixby Bridge on your way to Big Sur. Nepenthe is the place to eat with a view. http://www.nepenthebigsur.com/ Julia Pfeiffer Burns State Park is where the waterfall drops from the cliff onto the beach. If you want to spluge, the Ventana Inn and Spa is the place. There are also plenty of inns nearby. The stretch between Big Sur to San Simeon can be tideous (many turns and you can get stuck behind RVs) but worth it for the views. My husband and I usually take turn here.

Don't miss the elephant seals rookery at Piedras Blancas. You can safely view them along walkways. http://www.elephantseal.org/Rookery/where.htm Though I am not sure how many will be there in October.

Do Hearst Castle if you are into history. I went once in 5th grade and that was enough for me.

Morro Bay is the next area of interest to me. The protected lagoon is an excellent place to go tidepooling or kayaking. Lots of good eats here too.

After Morro Bay, you can pass through or check out SLO (San Luis Obispo), Solvang, Santa Barbara.

If you are skipping LA/OC, still consider doing the coastal drive between Long Beach and Laguna Beach. Lots to see, do, and eat.

Once in San Diego County, you can drive along the coast from Oceanside to your hotel/port area. Visit Torrey Pines State Park and La Jolla.

Archived