Pass on a TIP

mew1

My tip to pass on is this: If you find a waiter/waitress you like in the main dinning room ask to be put in their station when you return the next night. We have done this and then you get freestyle with the PERSONAL touch. We usually give them an extra tip on the last night as they have taken great care of us. Sometimes we even see them for lunch or breakfast.

mew1

My tip to pass on is this: If you find a waiter/waitress you like in the main dinning room ask to be put in their station when you return the next night. We have done this and then you get freestyle with the PERSONAL touch. We usually give them an extra tip on the last night as they have taken great care of us. Sometimes we even see them for lunch or breakfast.

mew1

I'd hate this. I don't want my waiters getting personal, and like the novelty of having multiple wait-staff. There's always someone new to chat with.

We don't give any extra tips beyond the DSC except in extraordinary circumstances.

When someone is spectacular, we make a note to advise not only the F & B director, but also the Hotel Director that they have a stellar employee. Klaus has more than once recorded a name into his voice memo, for later follow-up.

mew1

I like that idea. That is one thing I miss when I'm on NCL. Perfer dining on RCCL because of the personal attention.:)

mew1

We appreciate the tip!

mew1, that is a terrific tip. Thanks for posting it :cool:.

True freedom!

Those who enjoy having the same waitstaff each day have a way of getting that which will make their vacation the best it can be for them.

And those who enjoy having new waitstaff can refrain from making the request, ensuring they make their vacation the best it can be for them.

That's what is so nice about Freestyle cruising :)

We have been doing the same thing as the OP for some time. A waiter actually told us if we preferred him, to simply ask for a table in his section (as their stations can change daily).

Even when we cruise other lines that offer a version of Freestyle dining, if we click with the waiter the first or second night, we usually keep them the entire cruise. It is nice having some consistency when it comes to our choice in beverages, appetizers, etc. On our Costa Rican cruise this summer, our waiter was not only in the main dining room for breakfast and dinner, but also our server for afternoon tea. He was wonderful!

I won't give up the flexibility of Freestyle, MyTime, or Anytime Dining, but it is also nice to have some familiarity; particularly when the service is exceptional. We generally tip extra as well.

They certainly serve you differently when they have some personal vested interest in you!! I agree.

The problem is that they get rotated from dining room to dining room and might not work every evening meal. They might work the next day in the Buffet, not the dining room. But it they can tell you their schedule, it is a much better dining experience when they know someone wants to be seated in their section.

mew1

Also, at the end of the cruise, fill out a STYLES comment card for them and turn it in at the front desk. The crew members prefer these to money sometimes because they're promotions etc are really helped by the passenger comments. You can ask at the front desk for STYLES comment cards. It is one per person being evaluated so you might ask for several.

Isn't it wonderful that freestyle has options to fit different preferences? Whereas I like variety in dining, sometimes you meet a server you just click with, or one that is just top notch. It's nice to sometimes be able to request them.

Likewise, I also admit some of my favorite NCL meals were ones delivered to my suite by the butler... Le Bistro is probably my favorite. Sitting there either on the balcony, or inside looking out, wearing my pajamas... It just doesn't get much better than that... Especially after a long day in port!

And before I tried the NCL suite life I was pretty darn content with the pb&j or turkey sandwich from room service. Sometimes it just feels great to chill in the stateroom.

Wow - when I first read the title, I though this was gonna open up a can of worms. I thought the OP was suggesting that we pass or skip the tip. Turns out he/she was passing on/sharing a tip/idea.

Whew.

Gonna go put the popcorn away now.

Wow - when I first read the title, I though this was gonna open up a can of worms. I thought the OP was suggesting that we pass or skip the tip. Turns out he/she was passing on/sharing a tip/idea.

Whew.

Gonna go put the popcorn away now.

Put the pom poms away. You won't need them for this one;)

I have done this on the Dawn in October. We need to preorder the day before for the next nights meal for my Mom who's on a low-sodium diet.

We lucked out the first night in Tsar's, and were seated at table number one (port side window, forward most). We had a stellar crew. The senior waiter, waiter, and assistant waiter gave the best service we had ever received in 14 cruises. We asked to reserve that table and time for the rest of the cuise, which they accommodated.

We filled out a STYLE card for each, and gave each an envelope with an extra gratuity.

We were on the Gem last week, and reserved the same table in the Grand Pacific. The Asst. Maitre'd was great, and we rewarded her accordingly.

Unfortunately, the waiter and assistant waiter as mentioned in other posts did not stay with us, but were rotated to other posts. I wonder why the Dawn and the Gem operated differently?:confused:

Archived