Can we Justify a Balcony for Alaska

riddle

I really wonder though how much time anybody would be on a balcony cruising Alaska waterways. Isn't it a bit cold out there, depending upon the time of year and time of day? Why would you want to sit out there freezing your pants off?

I spent a LOT of time out there. I just dressed warm.......... It was more comfortable then being on deck, I was protected on several sides from wind.

I spent a LOT of time out there. I just dressed warm.......... It was more comfortable then being on deck, I was protected on several sides from wind.
Same here. Much more comfortable on the sheltered balcony, in addition to being a lot more convenient.

If we start to feel cold out on our balcony it is so easy to duck inside to put on another layer or two, or add gloves or a warm hat.

When we start to feel warm, it is easy to peel off a layer and toss it inside.

If we start to feel cold out on the public deck, we need to go running all the way back to the cabin to get something else to put on. Then if we get warm and start peeling off layers, we are stuck with needing to carry them around with us.

When it is chilly early in the morning or late at night, you can just toss a warm jacket on over your bathrobe and step right out because nobody sees you on your balcony so it doesn't matter how you look.

We have had balconies and ocean views for Alaska and even a port hole many years ago as a crew member. We certainly have not felt short changed when we have had an ocean view ... frankly I would go with whatever I felt I could afford, anything is better than not going.

after reading all the posts on CC, we have decided to upgrade to a balcony - that said-which side is the preferred side-we are sailing north out of Vancouver

thanks for the input

It doesn't matter- , UNLESS, you are going to Glacier Bay and ONLY are going to view the glaciers from your cabin. In that case you are better with a port side cabin, so to have the commentary match up with what you are seeing.

We are a couple in late 50's, early 60's. Like to cruise but cannot do it more than once a year prior to retirement. Like everyone these days, we have to watch our money more carefully. Due to my job I can only go the last week in July so any other time is not an option.

I am wondering if it is worth paying almost double to get a balcony for Alaska. We usually book an inside and get an upgrade/upsell to an outside but have only had a balcony once.

I realize a balcony for Alaska is more important than some other itineraries due to the amazing scenery.

Can those of you who have done either an inside or a balcony advise me on whether the great difference in price is really worth it. We are not sedentary people, and really enjoy being out with the other passengers.

Balcony is a MUST on Alaska cruises.

Balcony is a MUST on Alaska cruises.
I am another who loves having a balcony on Alaska cruises so I would scrimp and save elsewhere to have one if I could not afford it. Besides, it is money spent on something that you get to enjoy every day of the entire cruise.

But having said that, if there was no way I could swing it I would rather go without a balcony than not go at all. Going on an Alaska cruise is a great experience in itself. To many of us, having a balcony enhances the experience and makes it so much better.

Maybe the OP can keep watching prices and pick up a price drop on a balcony yet. It is still early for next season. Right now the prices that I am seeing for Alaska cruises look higher than they were the past few years, but there is still time for them to come down.

Also, the couple is in the age range to qualify for senior discounts so it is worth keeping on checking for those and for resident discounts as well because you never know when one will suddenly show up, plus checking for military discounts or police/fire or union discounts, if either of them qualifies for any of those.

The first time my husband and I went to Alaska, we went in May. I splurged on a balcony figuring if it was cold, we could always turn the heat up and stand on the balcony. As it turns out, the weather was gorgeous and I did a little sunbathing.

The views were fanastic and if we didn't want to be in the crowds, we retreated to our balcony. When we went on a Panama Canal Cruise, the couple we were with booked an inside cabin and we booked a balcony. There a was an outbreak of the nasty virus and our friend got confined to her room. I would have gone nuts!!

From then on, we have always booked a balcony and never look back.

Yes, it is well worth the $ to get a balcony. There is so much to see and nice to not have to leave your room and can get great views from the balcony. On some of the newer ships, balconys are not much more than regular window view rooms. Princess has some good deal right now where you get an automatic upgrade to a balcony when booking a window view.

We are a couple in late 50's, early 60's. Like to cruise but cannot do it more than once a year prior to retirement. Like everyone these days, we have to watch our money more carefully. Due to my job I can only go the last week in July so any other time is not an option.

I am wondering if it is worth paying almost double to get a balcony for Alaska. We usually book an inside and get an upgrade/upsell to an outside but have only had a balcony once.

Not sure which cruise line you are going with but I just got an email from Princess stating Alaska balconies for price of Oceanview....

We have been on 25+ cruises to various places in the last 5 years. Been to Alaska 5 time and the last time got a balcony. ABSOLUTELY get a balcony. You don't have to vie for a spot on the public decks when going near the glaciers. We like the starboard side the best.

My husband and I did our first cruise to alaska in 2006. We had a balcony because all the other couples going with us were booking balconies. Never again. For the money we spent we could have done more excursions, live and learn. The only time we were in the cabin was to change clothes and sleep. We sailed at night so there were no views to see. One night I got up and sat on the balcony and watched the lights bobbing on the water. We are cruising to alaska again this sept on a cruise/tour on the island princess and this time I booked an ocean view for my husband. We had an inside in hawaii and it was perfectly fine, we spent most of our time ashore or elsewhere on the ship. The choice is yours spend your cruise dollars well for your comfort and pleasure.;)

Not sure which cruise line you are going with but I just got an email from Princess stating Alaska balconies for price of Oceanview....

Got the email I was booked already , so I called to see if I could still be included in upgrade and I was now have balcolony no extra charge on princess. First time balcolony and it's in Alaska I'm excited

I went to Alaska and had an ocean view cabin. I did enjoy watching the scenery from my window when I was in the cabin. Personnally, I would not pay double for a balcony if you are out on deck a lot. July is a great time to go to Alaska because the weather is warm. Any other time, it may be too cold to sit on a balcony for long. Enjoy!!

If your cruise has scenic cruising through glaciers, a balcony is a must!! We sailed Island Princess last year, which had scenic cruising through Hubbard Glacier and Glacier Bay. You can see the photos and experience we had on our balcony on my blog:

http://moonprincess.com/travel/category/cruises/alaska-2010/

Hope that helps!!

Not worth it.

We cruised on the last week of June, and it was quite cool.

There are enogh picture windows if you want to stay inside, and

it was not too bad to watch the glaciers in Glacier Bay from the deck.

Enjoy !

Got the email I was booked already , so I called to see if I could still be included in upgrade and I was now have balcolony no extra charge on princess. First time balcolony and it's in Alaska I'm excited

Woo Hoo! Congratulations!

If your cruise has scenic cruising through glaciers, a balcony is a must!!

If your glacier viewing is done from your balcony, you're missing at least half of the viewing, and I don't want to miss one minute of it. It's clear that many people are okay with "some" glacier viewing rather than every bit possible - different strokes.

While choosing a balcony, as can be seen every time this subject comes up, is a personal subjective choice, missing half the glacier viewing if you stay on your balcony is just a fact.

We got the same email ~ we are now booked in a balcony on the Sapphire cruising on June 19th! We have always had a balcony on our cruises and loved it! Booked through our online TA...they were 500 dollars less than Princess.

If your glacier viewing is done from your balcony, you're missing at least half of the viewing, and I don't want to miss one minute of it. It's clear that many people are okay with "some" glacier viewing rather than every bit possible - different strokes.

While choosing a balcony, as can be seen every time this subject comes up, is a personal subjective choice, missing half the glacier viewing if you stay on your balcony is just a fact.

Very true, but when you have a balcony you still have the option of going out to the public areas for glacier viewing. If you find them too crowded or too cold or windy or wet or noisy, you can always go back to your balcony.

Without a balcony you do not even get the choice.

Then there are all those other great views from the balcony throughout the entire cruise to consider, not only the limited time spent viewing glaciers.

We see the balcony as providing a wonderful addition to viewing from the public areas rather than as a substitute.

Archived