specialty restaurants

porrah

I have just made the final payment on our Ventura cruise in March. I have had a look at the P&O website and it seems that all the restaurants apart from the MDR have a cover charge. Is this correct? It would be nice to get some variety but I don't want to keep paying a cover charge.

Hi! I'm sure those more travelled than I will give a more definative answer but as I understand it the only restaurants that require a cover charge are East and White (MPW). I also believe that rate varies depandant when you ask and what time you want to eat!

The only restaurants on Ventura with a cover charge are The White Room, (£20) East (£15) and Ramblas. The main dining rooms, buffet, outdoor grills, room service (except for certain items) and even pastries at the coffee shop are included (if you purchase a drink).

There is so much to eat, you needn't pay a single penny extra, but the speciality restaurants are well worth the cover charge. For £5 you can have 3 courses at Ramblas, fairly small portions, but tasty and full size desserts. :)

ETA As gipsy says, the price in the speciality restaurants depends on the time you eat and length of cruise. They have earlybird offers and East also did a lunch for £10 IIRC.

Photo here, taken from my Ventura album of the danish and savouries FREE when you purchase a coffee around the atrium. Not a lot of new cruisers know that they are free , for some reason no signs to tell you, its just something you should know? !

link here

http://picasaweb.google.com/AuroraPartyCruiseSueV/VenturaWeekenderSept08#slideshow/5245868601982515458

Free afternoon tea in the main dining rooms too, but that may just be on sea days, not sure.

Afternoon tea is served every day in one of the main restaurants except on embarkation day and Chocoholics day.

Brian

Sorry all lost the point of the thread thinking about food.

Didn't get a chance to try the specialty restaurants last time on board as we had such a lovely table. But we might have a go this time, just depends on our Table. It was so much easier on OV as the bistro was fantastic and I just like being served, period.

I heard mixed reviews about the white room and good stuff about ramblas.

But as I say to everyone the best critic is yourself and no one else x

Sorry all lost the point of the thread thinking about food.

Didn't get a chance to try the specialty restaurants last time on board as we had such a lovely table. But we might have a go this time, just depends on our Table. It was so much easier on OV as the bistro was fantastic and I just like being served, period.

I heard mixed reviews about the white room and good stuff about ramblas.

But as I say to everyone the best critic is yourself and no one else x

Just returned from 14 nighter. Will post full review in due course. Don't forget to try the Beach House evening menu. You may have to wait for a table but well worth it. Same menu every evening, with extra charge for Tiger Prawns and Fillet Steak. Those of you who have dined in La luna on OV will find this very similar.

Thanks for your responses. I was looking forward to a nice curry or other asian food, but it looks like I won't get it unless I pay, which I am going to try not to do. Sorry to sound cheap, but cruise, flights from Canada, accommodation in S'ton a couple of days before, and in Gatwick a couple of days after, plus getting from Gatwick to Southampton......... England is very expensive. I'll check the OBC with a couple of days to go and see what, if anything, we have left from our 300!

Just returned from 14 nighter. Will post full review in due course. Don't forget to try the Beach House evening menu. You may have to wait for a table but well worth it. Same menu every evening, with extra charge for Tiger Prawns and Fillet Steak. Those of you who have dined in La luna on OV will find this very similar.

OMG you went on !!!

Well done I hope it's a good review :);)

Thanks for your responses. I was looking forward to a nice curry or other asian food, but it looks like I won't get it unless I pay, which I am going to try not to do. Sorry to sound cheap, but cruise, flights from Canada, accommodation in S'ton a couple of days before, and in Gatwick a couple of days after, plus getting from Gatwick to Southampton......... England is very expensive. I'll check the OBC with a couple of days to go and see what, if anything, we have left from our 300!

Great curries are often available in the buffet. We had a lovely Indian evening meal one day when we couldn't be bothered to go to the main dining room. Just check the menu posted outside the buffet. I think you will be pleasantly surprised. ;)

Great curries are often available in the buffet. We had a lovely Indian evening meal one day when we couldn't be bothered to go to the main dining room. Just check the menu posted outside the buffet. I think you will be pleasantly surprised. ;)

Also there usually is a curry on the lunchtime menu in the main restaurant or self service.

Brian

Yes I was going to say that too, every evening in the buffet restaurant is a themed evening, one night will be 'Indian' with lots of curries,pickles, assorted rice and side orders all free as a change from the main restaurant.

Other nights will be 'Mexican', American , Chinese and British with bangers and mash, cottage pie, fish and chips. Just check your daily paper delivered to the cabin the night before.

OMG you went on !!!

Well done I hope it's a good review :);)

Hi Stitchman,

Really enjoyed Ventura. Did not do formal but this did not detract from the holiday as we were by no means the only ones, particularly on the 4th night.

Contrary to some reports, the dress code was only applied to the MDRs and a couple of bars and with such a varied choice of other places to eat, including our favourite, the Beach House(also patronised by many of the officers including our amazing captain, The legend that is Hamish Reid!

In fact, it was amazing to see what did pass for formal dress code, including one guy who wore a bright red jacket, black shirt and red bow tie!

I'mso glad you enjoyed our new playground.

That's just what I said, you don't have to do the formal, just enjoy the ship. As you know I like to do formal but each to their own.

Looks like i won't be seeing gixxer on formals either lol x

I'mso glad you enjoyed our new playground.

That's just what I said, you don't have to do the formal, just enjoy the ship. As you know I like to do formal but each to their own.

Looks like i won't be seeing gixxer on formals either lol x

Might just do formals next time on Ventura.

As for Gixxer, just wait and see. There was plenty of Primani on board!!LOL

Archived