Max std size for carry-on?

fletcher57

Hi, I have not flown since 2002 (have been very lucky to have been able to get to last four cruise ships via bus) so I have no idea what the current rules are regarding the maximum size of carry-on luggage. Are the maximum dimensions standard among all airlines? What is the maximum size? Thanks. Joyce

As some have said, you should check your respective airlines web site to check the acceptable measurements. After doing that be sure to measure your carry on to ensure it meets the allowable size and if your carry on has wheels that needs to be part of the measurement. There are some carry on cases where the wheels stick out quite a bit and between the wheels and the handle that they exceed the allowable dimensions. While some get away bringing them on the plane there are times when one is asked to verify the size at the gate or at some airports before going through security or at the check in counter and if it is too large the carry on is checked.

Keith

If you are travelling to Europe please be very careful, especially if interlining or using Low Cost Carriers. Luggage allowances and hand baggage sizes and weight allowances vary immensely and are increasingly being enforced, ie more money is extracted from you at the last minute. British Midland were recently caught using undersize measuring frames, and making an extra bob or two out charging pax at the gate. Of course it was a mistake but thank goodness the mistake didn't go the other way: rolleyes: We used to have weights and measures prosecutions for that sort of thing.

I wish.

I know...but I've had to do a bit of business travel during the holiday travel season and it never ceases to amaze me what people will try to bring on board...and then cram into an overhead bin.

By the way, I did see the bass fiddle (actually, a cello), but the guy actually bought a seat for it.

Even if your carryon is well within the size limit ... unless you are in one of the early boarding groups, the overhead bins may fill and you will be asked to gate check your carryon. Good idea to not pack meds, electronics, etc. in that bag. Better to have them in your personal item that fits under the seat.

Even if your carryon is well within the size limit ... unless you are in one of the early boarding groups, the overhead bins may fill and you will be asked to gate check your carryon. Good idea to not pack meds, electronics, etc. in that bag. Better to have them in your personal item that fits under the seat.

that has been the case with us for the last few flights...we even volunteer to give up our carry-ons to get rid of that extra to carry on...the aisles on some planes barely fit you to walk down...we always have a personal carry-on with us so it works out that we have all our valuables, meds etc in those!

Archived