Athena - Anyone else sailed on her?

Shiprobbo

Folks,

Never seen any mention of Athena on this board, has anyone else sailed aboard her? I did a cruise out of Adelaide on her in 2009 and thought she was wonderfull. A small ship by modern standards I thought that she had a lot of features that were evident on much bigger ships, even a dedicated cinema. Enjoyed the experience so much that I booked a follow up cruise for early 2010 only to have the cruise cancelled to accomodate a private charter. I would certainly cruise on her again.

DAVID..Re ATHENA, she has a lot of history, launched in 1948, yes 1948 ! as MV Stockholm.

# In July 1956 in the North Atlantic - Nantucket, she collided with 'Andrea Doria.' Andrea Doria sank. There was loss of life including 5 crew members on Stockholm. She was repaired, has had at least 6 other names and currently is Classic & International Cruises 'Athena', doing Asia, Australia and does line voyages to and from Europe. I see she is doing Perth to Portsmouth. I note you were on her in 2009, did you know her history then?

I did read some good reviews on her. I am sure there are CC reviews on her.

Hi Les,

I did know here history, yes. Actually there is an information sheet available for those on board that gives a potted history of the ship, including the Andria Doria story. To be honest there is not a lot of Stockholm left as the ship was completely rebuilt in the 1990's, though the Dining Room occupies the same position and retains the double-banked portholds from Stockholm days.

When we originally booked the cruise it was to be on Funchal, which I have been aboard but not sailed on. I was surprised (and pleased) when the ship was changed to Athena as of course she has a long history. I found her to be enchanting (I think that is the best way to describe her), nice cabins and public rooms. The fittings were of high quality with Murano glass light fittings, lots of marble and very comfortable cabins. We had the cheapest available inside cabin and this was still fitted with a bathroom containing both a bath and bidet. She seems much more spacious than her size would indicate, probably the only thing lacking is shaded out door space, much of the outdoor space is subject to full sun.

One of the many things that I did like is the arrangement for purchasing onboard photographs. As all the pictures are digital, they are displayed on a computer kiosk rather than being printed and put up on boards. They are sorted by catergories that make it easy enough to find your picture. They are similarly orderd 'on-line' and picked up the next day. None of the wasted printing and as a result the prices are much lower.

She really is a lovely ship and certainly has a bit of history, standing at the forward end of the wrap-around promenade and looking over the bow and thinking back to that night in the north atlantic is quire a sureal experience.

Hi David, I was very interested in the possibility of cruising on the Funchal a few years ago but decided against it as this line does not have any children's programs and I have a 7yo son.

I certainly hope that we have some classic ships left in a few years (when my son is a little older) as we would love to experience these classic ladies.

You are fortunate to have traveled on Athena.

Jenny

Archived