NCL 12/26 NYC jewel storm delay?

jakess

NCL does have a Winter Weather Guarantee but I have never heard of a payment being made on it and the ship must be delayed by so many hours. If it's really bad it'll probably be delayed but also too forecasters are idiots and the storm is still in Southwest United States... no where close to forming.

The storm of our Eastern seaboard now was forecasted to be a direct hit and give us tons of snow and it's only been a nuisance with it's retrograde accumulations. Keep your eye on the weather and get there. I'm sure you're going out on Sunday and have a safe cruise! :)

Although snow is beautiful to watch, make no mistake, it IS a storm.

A common misconception is that rough seas are caused by winds. That is true, but any storm system causes changes in barometric pressure which will churn up the seas.

We're leaving on the Gem this Saturday and I told DW to pick up some extra dremamine, just in case.

There are white caps on the Norwegain Gem's webcam and the seas do look a little rough. :cool: Dramamine is a good idea to say the least but I do believe the ship will sail as scheduled unless there is a fundamental delay in the number of people who are to meet the ship such as flight delays and such but even then they would have had to book with NCL and they would then be routed to Port Canaveral to meet up with the ship there.

I'd really plan on arriving at the terminal at the regularly scheduled time.

As other poster said these weather people are IDIOTS. The only weather they can predict is YESTERDAY'S.

Carnival Pride got the February blizzard, and if my 50 year old memory serves me right, they were only slightly delayed because they had to clear the Lido deck of all the snow. Biggest bummer was the people coming back having to clean 3 feet of snow off their cars:eek:

I did peek at Gem webcam yesterday and saw what I would call whitecaps (I grew up on a lake). The Youtube video of the Gem going through that N'oreasterner way out in the Atlantic would be a cause for concern going into that, but we may get nothing or hammered from this storm.

Just keep a close watch on the radar first thing in the morning. If something's coming it might be worth your while to head to the pier earlier than what you had planned on.

Unless NYC gets 5 feet of snow like we did here upstate in February, I don't think you'll have to worry - unless you're flying in and there are airport delays.

Enjoy your cruise and report back.

Kathy

NCL does have a Winter Weather Guarantee but I have never heard of a payment being made on it and the ship must be delayed by so many hours.

I do remember hearing that they did honor the winter weather gaurantee at least once - I think in 2006 when the Dawn reterned in a Nor'easter and the fuel barges couldn't safely refuel the ship. If my memory serves me correctly, they anchored in the harbor overnight and even tendered passengers out the next morning before they left.

NCL has a Winter Weather Guarantee whereupon they may delay a sailing. It states:

"The winter weather in the Northeastern United States is invariably cold, which is why a cruise to the warm weather is so appealing! Only rarely is it stormy. We do not expect our schedule into and out of New York to be adversely affected by winter weather. However, there is always the possibility of an occasional weather system causing strong winds and rough seas. In this case, NCL would intend to delay sailing until conditions allow for departure.

If your departure from New York is delayed for longer than 12 hours due to weather, you will receive an onboard credit of $100 per person (maximum $200 per stateroom) on your current departure. Or, if you do not wish to continue the cruise, you may choose to leave the ship and receive a cruise credit equal to the amount you paid, to use on a future NCL cruise, sailing within one year from the date of the cruise credit, and any reasonable incidental expenses you incur in rearranging your travel/vacation plans will be reimbursed by NCL. "

I think the comments about weather people are out of place. Would like to see y'all do better.

Anyway, the ships are equipped with snow treads and chains and make it through the snow just fine.

LOL, but the time it takes to remove the snow chains will probably rusult in missing atleast one port.

I think the comments about weather people are out of place. Would like to see y'all do better.

Anyway, the ships are equipped with snow treads and chains and make it through the snow just fine.

Their JOB is to predict the weather and up my way they do a piss poor job of it and constantly cause a stir for no reason. :p If I had a job where I could be as inaccurate as them and still collect a paycheck... wow... what a life that'd be!! ;):D

Their JOB is to predict the weather and up my way they do a piss poor job of it and constantly cause a stir for no reason. :p If I had a job where I could be as inaccurate as them and still collect a paycheck... wow... what a life that'd be!! ;):D

As a fishermen I have agree whole heartily. NOAA gets right half the time:eek:

36 hour advance predictions are the outer limits of meteorology.

36 hour advance predictions are the outer limits of meteorology.

Right on! Beyond 36 hours and they are VERY inaccurate. The 7 day forecasts are a big joke. The storm track has changed so much for what the original poster was worried about that the ship should have no issues sailing at all but it might encounter some rough seas off the coast of the Carolinas.

You can hit rough seas out of NY any time of year. Make sure you get in early just in case traffic is bad, and be sure to take pictures if there is a lot of snow. You can't beat pictures like this for your scrapbook...

2112942513_fd60865c6e.jpg

I found this picture by searching on NCL Deck Snow

Sailed on the Jewel on Dec 12, and seas were very rough out of New York. The update from the bridge on the in-room television showed the seas listed at 12-18 ft, and I'm sure it was at the high end of that! Roughest I've ever been in.

After the first 36 hours or so, things calmed down and the rest of the week was fine. That first 36 hours was brutal though.

Hope the weather treats you guys better this weekend.

Bob

We were on a RCCL cruise last year about this time and coming out of NYC and for the first 24 hours we had 25 foot swells:eek: We rocked and rolled all night! The captain came out early on the PA system to warn the women not to wear heels and steer clear of the Lido deck which we all did. It was a welcomed feeling to get out of the storm! When we finally did make it to San Juan (a few hours delayed) the captain said he weighed going through the storm OR going around it and and chose the first option. Many passengers were angry but, his reply was he was very confident in his ship and crew and didn't want the passengers to miss a port of call. I was just happy to be alive!

I live in Bayonne NJ....yes right near RCCL's dock...lol...but we are on NCL this time around....

The seas so far are supposed to have swells of 40-50 feet during the height of the storm....I am not really excited at this point...more extreme nervousness has sit in...I have been through hurricanes...on the Zenith years ago...3 in one week...I dont want a repeat of that cruise...we were confined to our cabins toward the end of the cruise...during that time the ship was a mess....Nothing stayed on the walls....They cleaned it up quickly but that was after the fact....I remember my daughter was about 2...and we were in a lounge..she was rolling from one side of the lounge to another having a blast on the floor....One of her first memories actually....but still...I dont need a repeat!...I guess I shall wait out the storm...lol

For a change it looks like the forecasters might have actually called this one right when they first called it many moons ago. Friday they were saying that this was going to be out to sea East of New England which meant that everyone would have missed it on the Jewel cruise because it would have been here and the seas would have been a little rough and then I woke up this morning and voala.... we're having a blizzard!!! :eek:

Good luck to all sailing the Jewel tomorrow! I hope those that are flying can get into NYC. There were already a ton of strom cancellations in Atlanta which set off a domino effect all over the country. :(

Archived