Excursions without Cars/Vans

LisaT91403

We will be taking our 3 year old on Oasis this summer, and are not bringing a car seat. Don't worry -- we have car seats arranged through private transportation for all of airport/hotel/seaport portions of the trip, so we don't need to start that debate here :-)

Anyway, I'm wondering if anyone can suggest any beach-type shore excursions that would not require a car seat...maybe ones where you can take a water taxi or boat of some kind? The ports are St. Martin, St. Thomas and Nassau. I don't think we have time for Atlantis as we are only in port until 2:00.

First want to wish everyone a Merry Christmas!!!!

To your question about traveling at your ports of call. Most of the beaches are a quite a distance from the ports. The Oasis of the Seas is docking at Crowne Bay in St. Thomas, this pier is almost out of the way from any beaches. I only know of beaches on the opposite side of the island. Maybe someone else knows of some near the pier. For St. Martin their are water taxis that take you from the pier into the port. There is a beach near the town but I don't know how clean it is. Older posts have said that this beach is a little on the dirtier side. About Nassau I have no idea.

One quick question to all parents. But first let me state my DD sits in a booster seat in our cars. However, I don't take anything with me on vacations. I remember back to when I was a child we didn't have anything like child seats or booster seats after we were around 3 years old. Once we out grew our car seats we never got a new one. Just don't understand why the government is making us do this. There is no major statical information that states child seats prevents deaths, but it does make traveling with children safer. It also helps reduce the abdominal injuries that children normally received because of the seatbelt being in the wrong position.

At St. Thomas we're planning on going on the Paradise Point aerial tram because it's just across the street from the dock. But if the PP is right you'll be on the opposite dock and not within walking distance. I thought we might walk 2.5 km to Morningstar Beach but I've since been advised that it's hilly and there are no sidewalks so we will probably use the pool on the ship. I've also been advised that St. Thomas taxis don't have any seatbelts at all which is unfortunate since we will be taking the car seat.

At St. Martin the only beach near port that you could water taxi to is Great Bay which I understand is polluted with sewage. We'll be taking DD (also 3) to the small zoo which is a short taxi ride away and also taking the car seat. It's definitely difficult finding things to do and keep our little ones safe.

No idea about Nassau.

Nassau would be your best bet. No way I would put my kid on the water taxi though. They are rickety and run by some kinda scary individuals. Take a van, there are only about a few thousand to choose from on that Island. Do not pay more than 4 dollars a person. Or as CB said walk about a block past the straw market and their is a nice hotel with beach access.

There is no major statical information that states child seats prevents deaths, but it does make traveling with children safer. It also helps reduce the abdominal injuries that children normally received because of the seatbelt being in the wrong position.

There is major statistical evidence that child seats prevent death (the leading cause of death for children)! That's like saying that there is no statistical information that smoking isn't healthy! Heck, my almost 10 year old (tiny) still sits in a booster seat.

OP, you can walk to the Hilton in Nassau, and get day passes for the beach and pool. It's around $40 or so for adults, but comes with a $30 or so food/beverage voucher.

I will definitely check out the Hilton -- thanks for the tip.

I remember going on a St. John snorkeling excursion once, and I thought that we just went on a big sailboat (no cars involved). But it was a while ago, so I'm not positive about the transportation. We sailed, snorkeled/hung out on the beach, then sailed back. Does this ring a bell for anyone who has gone recently?

Archived