Do We HAVE to attend formal night?

CampingMom

Is that you get to decide what you want to do. As little or a much as your heart desires. Want to skip formal night then do it. Want to get dressed to the hilt and go, then do it. Although we enjoy formal nights I would not be inclined to pack my formal wear for a 4 ni cruise either. Just go and enjoy. By the way, happy anniversary!

LOL about this thread being so old.

However, just to point out to others reading the responses here....the OP was on a 4 day cruise on Royal Caribbean and was thinking of changing thier mind and going to the formal night because someone told them it was the night they got lobster.

Royal Caribbean does not serve lobster on their 4 night cruises.

I realize the original poster has long since returned from her cruise but in case anyone else is wondering....

In addition to the other suggestions of the buffet or specialty restaurants, most cruise lines offer room service dinners on formal nights as well as at other times. If you check with the maitre d' ahead of time, he should be able to fill you in on what are your options.

The dinner in your room idea also works well for folks with small children in tow. If the little ones cooperate and zonk out early, you may even get to have a romantic meal after all!

Though if you go all out, he will look a little off. But he could absolutely get into the MDR on Carnival.

No gown for me...but you make me laugh

We always look off- He's a mountain guy that just doesn't clean up as nice as me , lol

My daughter knows I don't have many dressy clothes..she suggested I buy a 'mother of the bride' type dress..I got a dress..a lovely one..on eBay for $20.00! I'd seen it at Nordstroms last summer for $150.00 on sale.

It's the kind of dress I'd wear to be the mother of the bride (or groom) and if I don't want to keep it, I can always eBay it for what I paid for it.

I'm sure not a Hollywood red carpet type of person and don't care to spend a wad on a dress I most likely won't wear again...Maybe your teens can get a nice shirt and slacks on eBay. When I was looking for clothing I was amazed at what was for sale and how inexpensive the name brands were. they might enjoy dressing up-after all..it's only one night out of their life.

I'm going with my 8 year old grand daughter who never wears dresses-shes an athletic little girl. But she's taking 1 dress for formal night and promised to not do cartwheels in it....

I think teens especially should be exposed to different situations. It can teach them how to behave when they aren't in the kind of atmosphere they are used to.

When my 4 children were growing up, I'd take them to fancy dinners for Mothers Day, their birthdays etc where they had to dress nicely..aka no baseball hats or tennis shoes. As they became adults,knowing how to behave helped them in business and social situations that were different.

Just a thought..and enjoy yourself-I sure plan on doing just that!

Plantcrone aka elle