Internet access in stateroom?

LynnMW3

Can anyone who has sailed Connie recently tell me if there is internet access in the staterooms, or if you have to go to any particular area to get access? (If so, where?)

We're sailing in a C2 on deck 9 midship, and were hoping we would be able to use our laptop in our stateroom. Can anyone who has sailed Connie, post-Solsticization, say whether we'll have access or not?

I've searched the boards, but can't find much information that isn't quite old.

Thanks in advance,

Lynn

Our recent internet experience on the Mercury (typical of several X ships) demonstrated that X is way behind the competition with internet service. On most other lines we can simply take our laptop, log on in our cabin, purchase a package or minutes with a click of the mouse, etc etc. On the Mercury we had to take our laptop to the internet room, log on to one of the ship's computers to first establish an account, than later log on with our laptop and go through several steps (the internet staff insisted on helping) to get access. When our computer later crashed several times we had to go back to the internet experts who informed us that our Norton and Google Toolbars had to be deactivated because there were incompatible with the ship WiFi system. We also got charged for minutes (we had free internet packages) due to another weird thing about their system that sometimes charged for minutes even if one had a package. So, over our cruise we had to make 3 trips to the internet experts whereas on most other ships there is not even a reason to leave one's cabin. Oh, and I forgot to mention that the Mercury only had WiFi access in certain public rooms (not in the cabins) and in some cases that access was limited to only part of the public room (the signal was too weak in some sections). What a pain!

Hank

Can anyone who has sailed Connie recently tell me if there is internet access in the staterooms, or if you have to go to any particular area to get access? (If so, where?)

We're sailing in a C2 on deck 9 midship, and were hoping we would be able to use our laptop in our stateroom. Can anyone who has sailed Connie, post-Solsticization, say whether we'll have access or not?

I've searched the boards, but can't find much information that isn't quite old.

Thanks in advance,

Lynn

Just got off the Connie on 12/4. We were in 7179 (C3 - near aft elevators) and had wifi in our cabin. I was also surprised by how much faster internet access was on this sailing as opposed to our sailing on Connie in January. Perhaps they upgraded during the refurb in May. Good luck - I think it is "luck of the draw" when it comes to cabin access. :)

Our recent internet experience on the Mercury (typical of several X ships) demonstrated that X is way behind the competition with internet service. On most other lines we can simply take our laptop, log on in our cabin, purchase a package or minutes with a click of the mouse, etc etc. On the Mercury we had to take our laptop to the internet room, log on to one of the ship's computers to first establish an account, than later log on with our laptop and go through several steps (the internet staff insisted on helping) to get access. When our computer later crashed several times we had to go back to the internet experts who informed us that our Norton and Google Toolbars had to be deactivated because there were incompatible with the ship WiFi system. We also got charged for minutes (we had free internet packages) due to another weird thing about their system that sometimes charged for minutes even if one had a package. So, over our cruise we had to make 3 trips to the internet experts whereas on most other ships there is not even a reason to leave one's cabin. Oh, and I forgot to mention that the Mercury only had WiFi access in certain public rooms (not in the cabins) and in some cases that access was limited to only part of the public room (the signal was too weak in some sections). What a pain!

Hank

Odd, I never had to do that. We just loggd on from our room. I never had to deactivate anything at all. Mind you we were on the Solstice but it woul dbe strange that they have different servers and routers for different ships.

One thing is that the routers are slow and the price per minute is exorbinent. Try to do all of your prep (messages etc) and photo re-sizing before you log on and when you are connected, all you have to do is cut and paste text and attach smaller photos (640 X 480 is plenty big). The upload times for the photos will be dramatically reduced and save you a lot of money (or minutes which is the same LOL). Just search for free photo re-sizers if you do not already have one.

I guess I'll just have to wait and see (and keep my fingers crossed). I've never taken a laptop with me before, but am looking forward to having it with me this time. I'm already planning to work offline as much as possible, and will probably wait to share pictures until I'm not paying per-minute charges. Thanks though for the tip on resizing...if I decide to send any pictures, I'll be sure to do that!

Since we're right down the hall from the library, if we don't have access in the stateroom, it should only be a short walk to find a place to log on.

Thanks again,

Lynn

Odd, I never had to do that. We just loggd on from our room. I never had to deactivate anything at all. Mind you we were on the Solstice but it woul dbe strange that they have different servers and routers for different ships...

Solstice is a newer ship and the wi-fi system was designed into the ship's wiring when it was built. Wi-fi wasn't as common when the Connie and other older ships were built so it wasn't designed in, and I read some place that while the expense of putting hot spots in public areas wasn't bad that due to the ship's construction the cost of retrofitting wi-fi throughout the older ships would have too high so Celebrity hasn't done this during the refits - or at least that was what was reported in what I've read in the past.

• 5 months later...

hello,

we're sailing on the Connie in April 2012.

I have a question. Do they have printers onboard?

Because we're from Europe and i would like to check in with the airline for our flight back home for seatingplan and my boarding card. We only can check in online 24 hours before the flight. If not, does costumer service has any assistant.

Cordine

Yes, there are printers on board. The internet room becomes very busy on the last day of the cruise as so many passengers go there to check in for their flights and print their boarding passes. There will be someone at the internet room to assist you -- the hours that they are on duty are posted in the daily program.

Archived