Empty mouthwash bottles at Airport security

Yes, we all enjoy a drink in the cabin before dinner and more during and after!! And at the Pool Bar and in Ports......!! I'm clearly in a minority but what is this apparent fixation with smuggling spirits in 'decoy' containers just to have a drink? It's staggering (no pun) that people who can afford to vacation well feel the need to be subversive and recount experiences which quite frankly, could be deemed shameful. What satisfaction is achieved by pouring out a drink from a plastic Listerine bottle and drinking it in your well-appointed cabin on your luxury ship?? In addition to all this, it's quite clear that the Hotel Director, Staff Captain and the Master would be quite within their rights to end your vacation before it starts - and for what? Oh yes, the vicarious thrill of a cheaper drink........Classy!!

Those that smuggle claim it isn't because they are cheap or can't afford to buy the amount of alcohol they need to drink in order to have a good time.

Instead it is for convenience..not having to actually go to a bar and bring their drinks back.:rolleyes: Or their brand du jour isn't served onboard and they just can't enjoy a drink unless it is that particular brand.

So they expend energy on emptying Listerine bottles so they can smuggle their booze onboard.:p

And don't think for a minute that any cruiseline will toss the smugglers off of the ship. They know it and will continue to smuggle. But I do enjoy seeing photos pax have taken of all the confiscated contraband in the naughty room.:p

Agreed.

OP, enjoy your "Listerine-tini" 's. :rolleyes: My step-grandmother once gave me some homemade vanilla she had gone to the trouble of making - she put it in a plastic nail polish remover bottle. I don't know what she was thinking. I don't know what you're thinking, either.

My husband and I got a big laugh out of your post.............it reminded us of my Mom and Dad who used to make fudge for Christmas gifts and pack it in empty coffee cans. We told them every year the fudge tastes like coffee (which my husband hates with a passion), and they'd insist they washed them out carefully. But, they kept on using those coffee cans. So, we just started thanking them and throwing the inedible fudge away. Did that for years!

Those that smuggle claim it isn't because they are cheap or can't afford to buy the amount of alcohol they need to drink in order to have a good time.

Instead it is for convenience..not having to actually go to a bar and bring their drinks back.:rolleyes: Or their brand du jour isn't served onboard and they just can't enjoy a drink unless it is that particular brand.

So they expend energy on emptying Listerine bottles so they can smuggle their booze onboard.:p

And don't think for a minute that any cruiseline will toss the smugglers off of the ship. They know it and will continue to smuggle. But I do enjoy seeing photos pax have taken of all the confiscated contraband in the naughty room.:p

Since I have no butt I use a Rum Runner type item that makes me look like I have a bubble butt.I put Stoli in one cheek and Grand Mariner in the other

:cj

My 2 cents...

I have no problem with purchasing drinks on board. My thing is wine and with literally tens of thousands of different wines out there I have found that cruise ships carry very few of my favorites (in fact I recognize one red wine on RCI's sample wine list, and it is not one of my favorites). I don't know if the waiter would be patient enough to allow me to taste 5 different wines until I found one I liked. (do the even allow tastings?)

I wish RCI allowed 1 bottle of wine per adult, period. No smuggling, no "getting through" this time, just carry one one bottle per person. That would give us a glass of wine each evening. A glass of wine each evening that we know and enjoy. It has nothing to do with saving a few bucks. Since liquor is liquor brands and beer brands are the same no matter where you get it from, you should buy those drinks on board, no questions. It would be VERY convenient if you could pre-order bottles of liquor and packs of beer for your stateroom, as said before, other cruise lines offer this.

beer brands are the same no matter where you get it from, you should buy those drinks on board, no questions.

The issue is the selection, though. You're picky about wine and don't feel the selection is up to snuff. I feel the same about beer. Of the thousands of beers out there, the ships usually carry a small sampling of the crappier Lagers and Pilsners. There's also a cider and Guinness usually, but nothing from any smaller brewer or more adventurous like a proper IPA.

On my Explorer cruise a few years back, they had the 'Royal' brand beer that was a Belgian Ale. That was tasty and the only beer the cruise line has had that *I* will drink. I haven't seen it since then and so I tend towards mixed drink. Hey, I'm picky about my beer. Beer snobs exist, too ;-)

Point being, the selection on a ship is necessarily limited and it can't cover all the bases. I remember when they allowed a few bottles of wine brought on board and when you could buy liquor in the duty free shops for in-cabin drinking. Things seemed a lot more rational back then. I'd be willing to pay to bring on a 12 pack of good beer!

Thank you to the person that listed the coupon code for the rumrunners.

Have many cruises, I have finally purchased two although not sure if I will even get

for my upcoming cruise. I am sailing next Thursday, January 13, so perhaps I may get in time, maybe not.

Wish me luck and thank you again for the code :)

Archived