Is Cunard as bad as it sounds

QuarryMan72

Having sailed on Queen Mary 2 ten times, and QV once, with an additional two booked for 2011, I feel qualified to respond.

I have found Cunard to be an exceptional mass carrier, note I say mass and not high end specialty carrier,as they carry 2000 plus passengers each. Even with large numbers of passengers to tend to, the staff is almost always exceptionally good. I have come across a couple of bad apples, but not nearly in the ratio I do in land based restaurants, hotels, e.t.c.

I also think that a passenger is going to have exactly the experience he or she intends to have. Some are totally delighted, some cannot find a single thing to complement (This group should stay home and leave the delighted passengers alone.)

In my advanced age, I notice a tendancy of some people (often airplane passengers) to expect that their modest fare entitles them to more than they pay for on some indeciferable basis, where they would not have the same expectation from a McDonalds for example. Perhaps its the stress of traveling.

I noticed a comment above from a recent Queen Elizabeth passenger on the terrible service they encountered. Considering that the ship is barely two months old, what were they expecting I wonder. Every smooth operation requires time and experience to reach its stride.

I will close this over long posting with this comment. If your don't like what you hear on this Cunard board, by all means, stay home. If you have an open mind and can go with the flow, I bet you will have a terrific time.

Mike.

Let me get this right:

1. You log on to a site named cruise critic and then decide not to take a cruise because you find cruise critics?

Yes I would say you are not the type who should be cruising. Or driving for that matter.

That's extremely funny LongTimeTvlr - I am really ROFL here. You are quite a wit. Well, about half of one to be exact.

So if I wanted to discover the pros and cons of a cruising holiday, what site would you recommend that I look at? One about motor cycle maintenance perhaps? Maybe one on trekking in the Himalayas? Hamster breeding for pleasure and profit? Gardening for the horticulturally challenged?

As someone else has said - it's precisely this sort of glib, flippant, off-hand sarcasm that drives people away from sites like this in particular, and from cruising in general.

Very many thanks to everyone else who has contributed to this thread and who has had something constructive to say. I will now reconsider my earlier decision as it seems that there are some positive vibes out there after all.

QM72

The January 2011 edition of "Which?" has an interesting section on the pro's and con's of cruising "offers" and overall passenger satisfaction survey results of the major cruise lines.

Although informative and objective, it is sadly not as entertaining as this forum....

Some people gain considerable pleasure from nit picking and complaining. It seemed to be a major part of the holiday experience for one man we had on our table on one cruise. He would arrive for dinner and proudly tell us about that day`s enormity and how he`d been at the Purser`s office for hours. His poor wife was mortified. We turned it into a running joke eventually with a "whats wrong today?" session at the start of every dinner. It seemed to be the highlight of his trip which incidentally was the best holday we`d ever had. Roll on the next one.

One of the reasons for a lot of complaints is familiarity - not just on the subject of cruising, but for any form of transportation, including hotels. My other travel-related passion is rail travel, especially long-distance trains. VIA Rail Canada runs a Toronto-Vancouver train, called the Canadian, which is often referred to as a land-cruise. I recently reviewed an October trip to and from Vancouver on a rail travellers site. I had many negative criticisms (in addition to positive comments) and these were mostly of a minor nature. Frequent passengers have certain expectations and when they are not met they have every right to feel that service has been downgraded. These downgradings, of course, will not be noticeable to a new or infrequent traveller.

As an aside, if you think Cunard's welcome-aboard Pol Acker is a horrid wine, you better not try VIA Rail's "Canadian Champagne" which they distribute - fortunately in a minute quantity - to sleeping car passengers at bon voyage receptions in the lounge car.

That's extremely funny LongTimeTvlr - I am really ROFL here. You are quite a wit. Well, about half of one to be exact.

As someone else has said - it's precisely this sort of glib, flippant, off-hand sarcasm that drives people away from sites like this in particular, and from cruising in general.

I will now reconsider my earlier decision as it seems that there are some positive vibes out there after all.

QM72

I am delighted to see you are reconsidering your decision Qman.

You seem to be more open minded than I suspected based on your original post. And quite the wit as well.

My apologies if I caused any offense.

I originally suspected you might be a troll who was merely trying to antagonize the very helpful people who frequent this site.

DH and I took our first Cunard cruise in 2008 and LOVED it. What did we love? The wonderful British formality, high tea, the wonderful dinners and service, the Queens Room where we ballroom danced till we dropped each night, the lovely emphasis on dressing up to the nines for dinner, the general politeness of our fellow passengers, the wonderful shows, and just the overall atmosphere.

We feel very, very fortunate to be able to afford to take regular cruising vacations, and always count ourselves double lucky when Cunard runs a special and we can "afford" to sail with them. That's exactly what happened with our upcoming Panama Canal cruise and we couldn't be more pleased. :)

DH and I took our first Cunard cruise in 2008 and LOVED it. What did we love? The wonderful British formality, high tea, the wonderful dinners and service, the Queens Room where we ballroom danced till we dropped each night, the lovely emphasis on dressing up to the nines for dinner, the general politeness of our fellow passengers, the wonderful shows, and just the overall atmosphere.

We feel very, very fortunate to be able to afford to take regular cruising vacations, and always count ourselves double lucky when Cunard runs a special and we can "afford" to sail with them. That's exactly what happened with our upcoming Panama Canal cruise and we couldn't be more pleased. :)

Tamara, best wishes on your upcoming voyage. Happy to hear your first Cunard experience in 2008 mirrors almost exactly what the Cunard advertisements promise.

When you return from your upcoming affordable Panama Canal cruise, please tell us more about the "wonderful British formality".

Bon Voyage,

Salacia

Just the same as trip adviser then most people only post when they complain about something and few people post good reviews you have to read between the lines and understand that it is rearly about peoples opinions! People who complain about cunard should try msc. It is a good job everyone is not the same and have the same expectations as life would be boring.I like my steak blue but would not expect everyone to like it like that. As posted before try a taster cruise to see if it is for you.We have done 2 on cunard and one b2b on msc booked p and o on friday and crown princess in july to the Fjords.After reading some of the posts i would never have booked on or went on any cruises anyway good luck as i hope you find what you are looking for.

We are new to cruising and have just completed 3 with Cunard in the space of 13 months on QM2.

Must say we have had good exeriences on all our trips. One crossing to New York from Southampton, a 12 day med cruise and a 5 day to Cherbourg, Rotterdam and Bruge.

Never thought I would take to cruising at all, however the first time I stepped on board I knew I had done the right thing. I like the way every thing you want from a holiday is on board for example, bars, entertainment and the lovely food choices.

Commodore Club was one of my favorite places, great choice of martinis also Sir Samuels for great coffees. The entertainment was first class from shows, comedians and special guest entertainers.

The only way you will know how you feel about Cunard is to try is yourself.

We are going on RCI in August just to try another cruise line.

Catherine

We are new to cruising and have just completed 3 with Cunard in the space of 13 months on QM2.

Must say we have had good exeriences on all our trips. One crossing to New York from Southampton, a 12 day med cruise and a 5 day to Cherbourg, Rotterdam and Bruge.

Never thought I would take to cruising at all, however the first time I stepped on board I knew I had done the right thing. I like the way every thing you want from a holiday is on board for example, bars, entertainment and the lovely food choices.

Commodore Club was one of my favorite places, great choice of martinis also Sir Samuels for great coffees. The entertainment was first class from shows, comedians and special guest entertainers.

The only way you will know how you feel about Cunard is to try is yourself.

We are going on RCI in August just to try another cruise line.

Catherine

Hi Catherine,

When you go on RCI, try not to compare, but enjoy the ship for what it has to offer. The experiences are different, but there are many positives about both lines. If you do that I am sure you will have a wonderful time.

Gail

We have just arrived back from the Dec 8 - 19th Carribean cruise and my review will follow shortly.

Two things I would like to say about our dealings with Cunard are:

We only booked one excursion through Cunard which was for St Maarten at $42 each - The Best of St Maarten and Beach. It certainly was not "The Best" of anything and we complained to the Excursion Desk upon our return. Several conversations and a letter later they gave us a 25% reduction on our excursion (which we felt was about the right price).

The second point it that we were caught up in the flight cancellations at JFK Airport on Sunday 19th December flying to Heathrow, and we were amongst many stranded passengers. After about half an hour, 2 Cunard Reps did arrive and we were duly dispatched to the Marriott Brooklyn Bridge Hotel (a beautiful Hotel). We had 2 Cunard Reps at the Hotel most days giving us any information they could and were duly advised on Tuesday evening that the earliest Cunard could get us a flight home was Christmas Day at 8.30pm. The Reps still came to the Hotel even after that to reassure us and make sure all was well. On Christmas Eve Cunard hosted a party at the restaurant next door and about 80 Cunard guests enjoyed free champagne and wine, a lovely steak meal and they really made our Christmas Eve! We have also had a letter apologising for not being able to get us back to the UK in time for Christmas (something which was certainly not their fault) and that they will be sending us something which they hope we will enjoy! I will let you know what it was when it comes!

This was our first experience with Cunard and I must say we were impressed and very glad we were under the wing of Cunard throughout this experience.

I have yet to have a bad cruise. A few niggles, of course, but I also get them at home:D Forums are like the press, they only show bad news.

Just the same as trip adviser then most people only post when they complain about something and few people post good reviews you have to read between the lines and understand that it is rearly about peoples opinions!

In all businesses, satisfied customers keep coming back, but rarely will write a compliment. Dissatisfied customers may or may not return, and are pretty quick to write a complaint.

So if you are comparing the ratio of complaints to compliments on these boards, please take this into account.

As for me, I very much enjoyed my crossing on Cunard, and hope to be able to do a back-to-back one next year if I can get a good deal.:)

Merseababe

I am delighted that you were well looked after during a very trying time. That is the kind of service loyal Cunarders expect from Cunard.

Hope your flight home was uneventful. Do let us know when you receive your suprise package.

Happy New Year

I read this review and it may provide a clue to some recent grumblings.

You could hear many people complaining OVER NOTHING !!! it drove me mad that people LOOKED for things to moan about and I soon cottoned on that this was mainly the American contingency and they were desperately trying to get more discounts !!! it become very tiring listening to such whingeing moaning over nothing......the staff/ship did not deserve it....

I heard one American lady say... by the time im done on here I will get this cruise for FREE.... what a stinking attitude to have... if you dont want to pay what the price is then DONT GO.......

The staff worked so hard, were always polite but how they held it together with some of this people who were simply trying to shaft Cunard out of getting some of their cash back started to spoil my trip.....

Sooo,,, tune out those trying to make a buck !! just relax, chill enjoy your holiday, this is a cruise for the 50+ and its a quiet chilled out type of cruise dont expect fireworks but if you want understated elegance then this is for you....

Well Done Cunard and the staff, a brill experience.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=76289

Obviously there are examples of poor customer service which are genuine (think Jimsgirl's dining experience) but perhaps many of them are not all they're made out to be.

You could hear many people complaining OVER NOTHING !!! it drove me mad that people LOOKED for things to moan about and I soon cottoned on that this was mainly the American contingency and they were desperately trying to get more discounts !!! it become very tiring listening to such whingeing moaning over nothing......the staff/ship did not deserve it....

I heard one American lady say... by the time im done on here I will get this cruise for FREE.... what a stinking attitude to have... if you dont want to pay what the price is then DONT GO.......

The staff worked so hard, were always polite but how they held it together with some of this people who were simply trying to shaft Cunard out of getting some of their cash back started to spoil my trip.....

Sooo,,, tune out those trying to make a buck !! just relax, chill enjoy your holiday, this is a cruise for the 50+ and its a quiet chilled out type of cruise dont expect fireworks but if you want understated elegance then this is for you....

Well Done Cunard and the staff, a brill experience.

Obviously there are examples of poor customer service which are genuine (think Jimsgirl's dining experience) but perhaps many of them are not all they're made out to be.

You know, I have been on a number of cruises on various cruise lines and I have never heard much complaining at all. But I doubt it was Americans you heard. Most of them don't operate that way. Are you sure they were American--or might they have been Australian trying to talk American?

quote]

Margatebne, no, it provides no clue to me. I hate bias and prejudice, and I am appalled by that review and that it you increased it's readership by posting it on this forum. - Salacia

You know, I have been on a number of cruises on various cruise lines and I have never heard much complaining at all. But I doubt it was Americans you heard. Most of them don't operate that way. Are you sure they were American--or might they have been Australian trying to talk American?

The Australians are better than that LOL!

quote]

Margatebne, no, it provides no clue to me. I hate bias and prejudice, and I am appalled by that review and that it you increased it's readership by posting it on this forum. - Salacia

I've seen complaining by all types of folks. Not a lot mind you, but every nationality will have someone who complains about nothing. Strange how that kind of binds all of us together. I guess you can't please everyone all the time. That being said we really loved our trip as my "review" states.

The author of above quoted review stated his or her cabin was 4200, Category B1. Isn't cabin 4200 category B4, not B1?. Also the voyage is given as "December". Which QM2 December voyage is being reviewed, or was the reviewer on board for all December voyages in Cabin 4200?

What I took from the review is that there are professional complainers out there. Maybe it's how they entertain themselves?

I did note that the author of the review observed that most of the 'professional' complainers were American. But I found most Americans on my travels to be extremely pleasant so I didn't really pay much attention to it. It was the reviewer's experience and they were describing it.

One thing I do appreciate about Americans is their sense of humour. The Americans at our table were very funny and excellent at telling anecdotes. Obviously though, not all Americans have a sense of humour.

When I was working the top man in our organisation never went on holiday without letters of complaint afterwards. He always found something to complain about and his secretary then had to deal with it. He always expected some sort of refund. I imagine that any refund he would have received would have been peanuts to him with his huge salary but that didn't stop him. I have heard that he has taken to cruising. I just hope I don't come across him.

So come on - let's hear from you. I simply can't believe that things are as bad as the picture painted in this forum.

QM72

Sorry for the late reply, I've been away for a bit.

Welcome to the board QM - hope you'll stick around for a while. Don't be too put off by what you read in these hallowed halls. The CC membership is not fully representative of the Cunard passenger population. And people with complaints and grievances do tend to find their way to internet discussion boards.

My wife and I have now completed six voyages with Cunard (one on QE2, two on QV and three on QM2) and, so far, we haven't found anything to complain about.

Get a cruise booked, go and enjoy yourself, and then come back and tell us all about it. It won't take long before you're as thoroughly addicted as the rest of us.

J

Archived