Is Cunard as bad as it sounds

QuarryMan72

Well,

I was thinking about a Cunard cruise some time next year but, having read the endless threads full of complaints on here I have decided firmly against it.

Nevertheless, I think it's still worth asking this question - is Cunard really as bad as it appears to be from the tenor of something like 90% of the posts on this board? To listen to most people you would swear that the ships were a cross between livestock carriers and penal transports. And yet, the main complainers appear to go back on Cunard time and time again.

Do they do this just so they can have a good moan when they get back? If they want Cunard to thrive (and perhaps improve) perhaps they should consider that their endless nit-picking is driving potential passengers away from Cunard by the boat load.

So come on - let's hear from you. I simply can't believe that things are as bad as the picture painted in this forum.

QM72

I went on the QV in August with my wife and daughter. it was the best holiday of our lives, everything was perfect, and my 12 year old thought the same. We are now preparing for our next cruise next year , we will always go with cunard. Cant believe people can can give it negative remarks. Perhaps its just an attitude of negative people.

You will only know if you would like it from personal experience so I would say try it.

You are correct that there are nay-sayers who consistently re-book, I don't understand it either, you will meet them here and you will meet them onboard.

As for me? I have a jolly good time whenever I'm on a Cunard ship and while absolute perfection may not be achieved each time, there are more than enough positives to make me want for more.

M-AR

Well,

I was thinking about a Cunard cruise some time next year but, having read the endless threads full of complaints on here I have decided firmly against it.

QM72

Hi QuarryMan. Since you've firmly decided against a Cunard cruise next year, are you asking us to convice you to take a Cunard cruise in 2012? What type of voyage are you interested in taking? From what I've read on these boards, Trans-Atlantic Crossings get many favorable reviews.

Best wishes,

Salacia

Hi QuarryMan. Since you've firmly decided against a Cunard cruise next year, are you asking us to convice you to take a Cunard cruise in 2012? What type of voyage are you interested in taking? From what I've read on these boards, Trans-Atlantic Crossings get many favorable reviews.

Best wishes,

Salacia

No, to be frank the general tenor of the posting on here has put me off the entire idea of cruising as a viable holiday - on Cunard or on any other line.

It's not that important though as I don't think I was ever the "cruising type" in the first place. I only asked the question because I wanted to establish whether or not there was another side to the story. I wonder just how many other potential passengers are driven away because of reading this board. I suspect that it may be a significant number.

QM72

Well,

Nevertheless, I think it's still worth asking this question - is Cunard really as bad as it appears to be from the tenor of something like 90% of the posts on this board? To listen to most people you would swear that the ships were a cross between livestock carriers and penal transports. And yet, the main complainers appear to go back on Cunard time and time again.

Do they do this just so they can have a good moan when they get back? If they want Cunard to thrive (and perhaps improve) perhaps they should consider that their endless nit-picking is driving potential passengers away from Cunard by the boat load.

So come on - let's hear from you. I simply can't believe that things are as bad as the picture painted in this forum.

QM72

I really think that you are taking what people are saying way too literally. First of all, if you look at the complaints, many are about what people feel about the way others dress. And a few constantly complain about being ripped off. I mean things like no more pre cruise documents and charging to eat at specialty restaurants, but no big deals really. Cunard is really good value and the ships are gorgeous, so I really think you should give it a try. Don't listen to other's complaints and you will be better off.:)

No, to be frank the general tenor of the posting on here has put me off the entire idea of cruising as a viable holiday - on Cunard or on any other line.

It's not that important though as I don't think I was ever the "cruising type" in the first place. I only asked the question because I wanted to establish whether or not there was another side to the story. I wonder just how many other potential passengers are driven away because of reading this board. I suspect that it may be a significant number.

QM72

Yes, I think there are several sides to any story. Each voyage is different, and even on the same voyage, personal experiences and opinions also differ. Personally, I have learned a great deal from the postings here. I sincerely hope that people do not stop posting either positive or negative reviews, but rather continue to post reports of their experiences in the belief that a fair and open exchange benefits us all.

I understand that you feel that many potential passengers are driven away because of reading this board. I don't know if that is the case as I have read several posts that indicated people have decided to sail with Cunard - in part as as a result of information exchanged on this board. Either way, people will make their own decision whether or not to take a cruise, and hopefully that decision will be based on several factors and not soley based on internet postings on any forum.

As another member wrote previously, it's hard to know with any certainty if you would enjoy a cruise (any cruise) until you try one. :)

Regards,

Salacia

Indeed: we sail on our 14th voyage (as adults) on Cunard Monday next. Though their ships may not live up to the rather extreme commercial puffery shown on the Cunard website, we have enjoyed each one enormously and can hardly see any reason why you would not do the same. In any event, if you sail for a week or so and don't have the time of your life you will not have suffered, either, unless the sight of the occasional pre-tied bowtie on a passenger simply ruins your evening.

:)

Well,

QM72

Let me get this right:

1. You log on to a site named cruise critic and then decide not to take a cruise because you find cruise critics?

Yes I would say you are not the type who should be cruising. Or driving for that matter.

Let me get this right:

1. You log on to a site named cruise critic and then decide not to take a cruise because you find cruise critics?

Yes I would say you are not the type who should be cruising. Or driving for that matter.

And this is just the type of response that drives people away from even asking a question.

Different people have different expectations, and some people are simply more high-maintenance than others. Not to minimize anybody else's experience, but many of the posts were fussing about things that matter little to me. You'll need to decide what's important to you, and take it from there.

For what it's worth, I had a grand time in November.

In sincerely hope you will give cruising a chance. Granted it's not for everybody and I've met naysayers who were absolutely hooked after one cruise and some who said never again but you don't know until you try it.

I'm a big fan of Cunard and several years ago tried Holland America. I didn't care for them but have friends who rave about them. To each his own.

Side note to : LongtimeTvlr

Long time no chat, how are you? You can still reach me at lap600@hotmail.com

Linda

Cunard voyages are a wonderful and relaxing experience. You must refrain from putting so much emphasis on the posts from people who have nothing better to do than to post and yap and yap and yap from precious little experience. Surely you can tell who are the constant whiners and who are the constant so-called soothers.

Are you only reading the negative posts? My entire recent cruise was fantastic (albeit short) and I am booked on 4 Cunard cruises so far next year - I love them. Yes, they have their little problems here and there, I doubt very much you could go on any all inclusive holiday and not find an issue - but as long as you know what to expect (and a lot of it is down to other passengers I would say) then it's fine!

You should try a short cruise if you have never cruised before, I guess with as little sea days as possible. Cruising is about relaxing and having your destinations brought to you instead of you having to travel everywhere for the same pleasure - I would say it's a slower paced holiday in general.

Cheers

Chris

I'm going to assume that you're asking a genuine question.

I too had the same query prior to my first voyage with Cunard and asked the same question http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1232876&highlight=.

I found Cunard to be exemplary and could not have been happier with my voyage. Nearly everything was perfect (with notable exceptions from 'Vibz' and G32).

We sailed on two T/As. Loved the first one so much we booked another the following year. Now my wife is asking when we're taking our third.

There were items that they could have done better. I did mention a few here on the board. But I stilled loved the trip and will do it again.

We have sailed on several TA,s and some cruises also with other lines, As soon as i board the QM2 I know why we return time and time again, its a beautiful ship, so much to see and do and so peaceful as well, so much space and we have made many friends.

Like any forum dont read too much into what people do and say, I hope you try QM2 one day, you will love the ship

There is normally a rise in negative posts when a new ship is introduced. QEII & Coronia probably had bad press when QMII was introduced, likewise QEII and QMII when Queen Victoria was introduced. Queen Elizabeth will have caused the same to QMII and Queen Victoria. The reason is the introduction of a resonably large number of new staff to the three ships which results in a dilution of the experienced staff on the two earlier ships. I have sailed QMII 8 times, QV three time and QE once. I have yet to have a bad cruise. A few niggles, of course, but I also get them at home:D Forums are like the press, they only show bad news.

We sailed with Cunard (Queen Elizabeth) for the first time last month and were very disappointed. Although the ship was elegant and gracious, it was a shame the same couldn't be said for the crew. With the exception of our cabin steward who was always cheerful and polite, the crew seemed ill at ease and there was a distinct lack of manners. We weren't made to feel welcome in any way and there was certainly no sign of the respectful service we had been led to expect. This was not just our opinion, we met many long standing Cunard cruisers on board who were unimpressed and disappointed too.

We also thought the food was, at best, average. Very often what we received didn't match the description on the menu and the portions were very small - a starter or dessert was often no more than two or three mouthfuls. As it was our first Cunard cruise we felt we were paying a considerable sum of money for them to advertise to us. Sadly they failed miserably, so we won't be considering another Cunard cruise.

On a positive note: we love cruising - our favourite line is Holland America - we've found the experience on board their ships to be far superior in every way and are now looking forward to sailing with them again on two cruises in 2011.

I hope you do find a cruise line to suit you. Before we booked our first cruise I spent some time reading the message boards for all the different lines here on Cruise Critic. You might find that would help you to make a decision.

We sailed on Queen Victoria in October. This was our first cruise with Cunard. We have sailed with Princess and Holland America on 7 previous cruises.

We had a wonderful cruise and are booked to sail again in 2011 on the Queen Victoria. We found most of the crew to be most helpful. As with any vacation you should not expect perfection as you are sure to be disappointed. We sailed in Princess Grill and the only crew member we found to be good but not excellent was our cabin steward. We did not let it bother us. Every trip is what you make of it.

We have taken many land trips too and there again, not every restaurant and hotel will be to your liking. It is all part of the adventure. Enjoy whatever you decide to do:)

QM72

Prior to our cruises we took land base vacations, resorts all inclusives..etc

My brother convinced us to try it once, ...and immediately fell in love with it.

I would not have thought I would have been one to take to it either, afraid of water, scheduled activities...Boy was I wrong

We love being able to do everything or do nothing..

we love the great food, and service...

We love that we get to see some of the most beautiful places on this earth..

We love that serenity of being on the water

...and most of all we enjoy cruising as a family and enjoying time together.

We read negative, horrid stories about the line we took, and would have missed a great experience had we put too much credence in them.

Cruises as anything else is what you make of them..Go enjoy and have a great time!

Archived