Pre-Cunard Cruise stay in Southampton

LongTimeTvlr

Sorry for the title, just want to stay on topic.

I am sailing the QE on 9/2/2011 from Southampton and spent some time researching a place to spend the night before as we arrive frjom the US on 9/1..

After looking at all the obvious web sites for a suitable hotel, I was sent to TripAdvisor by someone on this board and found a B&B with almost unbelievablely positive reviews, at least for a skeptic like me.

Do any of you who sail Cundard have any experience with B&B's in Southampton in general or the Mayfair Guest House in particular?

While my June departure from Southampton will be my first big ship experience I do visit the UK every year and plan to stay in Winchester, just to the north, rather than Southampton. It's quite close to Southampton and I'm betting more interesting, including available accommodations close to the train. The website I've found to be the most comprehensive for finding hotels & B&B's in the UK is Smoothhound (http://www.smoothhound.co.uk ). They list loads of options and you can usually find a website for the individual places for more information.

It's not a B&B but the Novotel is comfortable and relatively inexpensive. It's also very close to a McDonalds and a TGIF. It's not air-conditioned but it does have a pool and a gym.

Southampton is boring. The Titanic museum is not worth the entry fee.

If you're into B&Bs then I would stay in the one with the excellent reviews. I stayed in a B&B at Chester which had amazing reviews and I was totally impressed.

Sorry for the title, just want to stay on topic.

I am sailing the QE on 9/2/2011 from Southampton and spent some time researching a place to spend the night before as we arrive frjom the US on 9/1..

After looking at all the obvious web sites for a suitable hotel, I was sent to TripAdvisor by someone on this board and found a B&B with almost unbelievablely positive reviews, at least for a skeptic like me.

Do any of you who sail Cundard have any experience with B&B's in Southampton in general or the Mayfair Guest House in particular?

I had just been reading your message on the British Isles forum :)

http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1300249

We drive down frae bonnie Scotland to Southampton and found that the Hilton package was very good. We booked it direct with Hilton though. It included overnight stay, parking for 16 days and delivery and pick up from the Ship. I expect prices have gone up now but it struck us as a very good package and one we`d do again to avoid the flights. (Cant drive to Venice very easily- drat!)

I had just been reading your message on the British Isles forum :)

http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1300249

Yes Ray, I tried that thread as well. I was surprised to find in that section that the "British Isles Cruises" thread there was not a mention of the QE trip in Sept. Doesn't seem right to have only HAL and Princess referenced on a British itinerary and to leave out Cunard, especailly when it is the new QE.

That's one reason I posted on the Cunard site. I am hoping for a Cunard/British perspective. Seems to be working much better.

Hi we stayed at the novotel in dec for the QV Christmas markets thought pre cruise package to be reasonable. 15 days parking evening meal and breakfast £185 for 2 and i think £145 without car parking large shopping centre within walking distance £7 00 for taxi each way. Will book again in july for crown princess Fjords.

I stayed in Winchester in 2007 and it was a great place to stay and visit. We just went on the QE Dec 1 and stayed in Southampton at the Elizabeth House Hotel which was very nice. Nothing fancy but very clean and breakfast included. The pros were that you were already at the port so no big rush on cruise morning. We had plans to look at things in Southampton but it was raining so we did not go. But I am sure for an afternoon on the day before a cruise you could find a few things to do. You really need a couple days in Winchester because of all the shops and the cathedral.

We stayed at the Mercure Dolphin in the High Street in December pre-cruise. It had good reviews with only the complaint that the rooms were too warm. As it was December, and as it happened extremely cold, we weren't too bothered about that. The room was very warm and we were unable to turn the radiator off. We removed the duvets from their covers as they were very warm and opened the window even though it was several degrees below freezing outside. We also asked for a quiet room which it was. It was towards the back of the hotel, on the first floor, away from the street. We just had breakfast which was good. We had dinner at the Red Lion just down the street. A hassle free stay for us.

Archived