Roll Call - Christmas Markets 2011 - All Lines

Maggie Mae

I have decided to contiue the tradition and will start the Christmas Market thread for 2011! I know it is early, but what better way to start the New Year than by planning a vacation.

I will be traveling with 11 friends from Connecticut on Uniworld's 11/30/11 sailing from Frankfurt to Nurnberg with an extension in Prague for 4 days.

I have enjoyed reading the 2010 reviews and looking forward to planning our trip and hearing about other plans.

The past threads have been very active, and full of information so I am excited to start the countdown.

Happy New Year,

Bette

Happy New Year to you as well!!!

Have fun with planning for your trip... When I started the thread in 2010, my trip seemed so far off. Now - it is behind me!!!

I am sure that I will enjoy this thread, as it will spark many memories. I think you have picked a great time to travel. You will be on the boat for St.Nicholas eve - and St. Nick (with help from the crew, I am sure...) made sure that our shoes were filled when placed outside our doors.

Fran

Happy new year!!!! We are also planning a Christmas market cruise this year. We have already been on one from Nurmberg-Cologne. This time it will be Budapest -Prague with AMA waterways on Dec. 3rd. We had a wonderful first one with Vantage, but this itinerary really appealed to us. We will be travelling with college classmates. Will go early to be able to visit a colleague of DH. So glad you started the thread, Maggie Mae. We have travelled with Uniworld before and think they are a great cruise line. We have also travelled with AMA. Pat

Thank you Pat for the positive comments about Uniworld. This will be our first trip with them. We loved our cruise with AMA, we traveled the same itinerary you are doing with them, but we did it in the summer. Prague is absolutely beautiful and I can't wait to go back.

• 1 month later...

Was just wondering if anyone has made special plans for pre or post stays? We will be going to Prague following our cruise and hope to take a few day trips from there. We have 12 in our group so it will take some planning to get people transferred, but we'll manage.

I just started a thread for my Christmas Market cruise for next December. Not sure if I have it at the proper place or not!! I'm on the Viking Pride on December 4, 2011 and excited!!!

CC just put up a new section in Roll Calls for all River cruises

• 3 weeks later...

Okay, it is done--downpayment on Dec 2nd cruise Budapest-Prague. We will leave home on nov. 30th, stay overnite at the Marriott Milleneum apartments--a 2 bedromm apt. is $180 inclides a continental breakfast. We have been to Budapest twice so we will concentrate all our time at the markets. Our friends and we will leave the group in Nurnberg and do Prague on our own. This is such a magical time in Europe and we will see markets that we didn't on our last trip.

We are going with AMA, there were about 5 or 6 cabins left when we booke yesterday. Pat

• 2 weeks later...

FYI, just recorded and watched an Anthony Bourdain, No Reservations, in Vienna. Am guessing it was last Dec. He went to the Christmas market at the Schoenbrun and visited a few other places we also have. If you want to get a preview of Vienna in the pre-Christmas weeks, this is good. There really was a good bit of snow last year. Pat

• 3 weeks later...

i've just started a thread on rollcall for our cruise - the christmas week AMAlyra cruise starting in Nuremburg on Christmas Day and ending in Amsterdam on January 2nd. I'm flying into Dresden on Dec 16 and plan to spend 10 days visiting christmas markets; from Dresden down to Munich and a day trip to Salzburg, then 4 nights in Nuremburg with day trips to Regensburg and Rothenburg. So looking forward to it!

• 2 months later...

Viking - Rhine Getaway on the Helvetia, Basel to Amsterdam 12.4.2011, wooo hooo, can't wait. Have done the Danube Christmas market cruise Vienna to Nuremberg a few years ago, another great one.

We usually go to Germany/France for the Christmas markets every other year but do it independently, have seen many different markets in my 8+ visits, love the small towns and their markets also. Can't wait to return to Cologne & Strasbourg, there are several markets in each of these cities with lots to see.

Less than 5 months to go!

Susan

We just booked the Vantage Christmas / New Years cruise. It'll be our first river cruise and we are very excite!

I know we didn't pack warm enough clothes (layers) for our December Med Cruise last year and considering the possibility of snow, want to be better prepared this year.

MISSKITTY123 - When do you leave on the Vantage Christmas tour? We leave with Vantage on Dec 7th from Amsterdam. Ship is the Navigator. Wonder if we are on the same trip? Willard

Hi Willard

We don't leave until 12/18 on the river Odyssey. Have you travelled with Vantage before?

Randi

Hello Randi - This will be our 5 trip with Vantage. Been very satisfied with them. Started with the Amsterdam to Budapest river cruise, then China ( a fantastic tour) then Greek Odyssey (on a 170ft motor yacht) and last September Eastern Europe and the Black Sea.

Wanted to do Egypt this year but with what's going on there - we forgot that idea. I have a Photobuckt site with 37 China photos.

http://s191.photobucket.com/albums/z210/1Willard/

I think you have to type it in. Sorry, thought you could just click on it. Willard

Randi - Yes you can just click on it (should show up red). Only problem was that somehow I loaded them backwards. On the site is a line that says slide show..click on that and at the bottom there should be a line that says reverse. The trip starts with the photo of the Panda and ends in Hong Kong. Also on that site is another area that says Willard's photos. I have a bunch of Black & White photos there. Willard

Hello Randi - This will be our 5 trip with Vantage. Been very satisfied with them. Started with the Amsterdam to Budapest river cruise, then China ( a fantastic tour) then Greek Odyssey (on a 170ft motor yacht) and last September Eastern Europe and the Black Sea.

Wanted to do Egypt this year but with what's going on there - we forgot that idea. I have a Photobuckt site with 37 China photos.

http://s191.photobucket.com/albums/z210/1Willard/

I think you have to type it in. Sorry, thought you could just click on it. Willard

Hi Wilard,

Those are great pictures. Thanks for sharing! Last year we went to Egyot as part of our Med cruise. We were there in December, six weeks or so before the revolution. We had a wonderful time and would go back in a heart beat.

Randi

i have been on two AMA christmas cruises --one on the Danube and one on the Rhine. Both were wonderful. Weather was pleasant in December but much colder on the Rhine cruise. The markets were great. Lots of stuff that you can get in North America but lots of local crafts and the market atmosphere was great. Loved the Budapest market the best of all-best prices and lots of pottery. AMA had good shore excursions and most of the local guides were very knowledgeable. The boats and staff were top notch and I would go again with them.

• 2 weeks later...
I have decided to contiue the tradition and will start the Christmas Market thread for 2011! I know it is early, but what better way to start the New Year than by planning a vacation.

I will be traveling with 11 friends from Connecticut on Uniworld's 11/30/11 sailing from Frankfurt to Nurnberg with an extension in Prague for 4 days.

I have enjoyed reading the 2010 reviews and looking forward to planning our trip and hearing about other plans.

The past threads have been very active, and full of information so I am excited to start the countdown.

Happy New Year,

Bette

Hi Bette

Well looks like we are on the mirror of your cruise. We have booked the 7 December trip from Nuremberg to Frankfurt with Uniworld. We did the Uniworld to Vienna Christmas Market trip last December and loved it. Only problem, we gave away most of the decorations we brought home to friends and family. This year we shop for us!

A couple of recomendations in Nuremberg: 1. Try the Nuremberg sausages. Usually sold in 3's (they are rather small) on a bun. Excellent. 2. Look for the "Prune People" decorations. They are a Nuremberg exclusive. 3. Try the local Frankonian wine made from Sylvaner grapes, excellent dry white wine.

A question for you all out there, where do the river boats dock in Frankfurt? Could not quite figure it out from Google maps.

Thanks and have fun!

(Dress warm!)

Archived