Roll Call - Christmas Markets 2011 - All Lines

Maggie Mae

We reserved the Dec 4 and Dec 11 AMAwaterways cruise but am not sure which one to take. We are having our honeymoon in Europe and will be there the entire month of December.. So we really need to be careful with spending. It's a 2 for 1 deal now so it costs us about 3000 with a French balcony.

I will also be 6 months preggers during this time and hope the food on board will be good.

Some reviews said the food on AMA is horrible so I'm quite concerned.

We fly in to London on Dec 2 and was thinking of taking the Dec 11 cruise in order for us to get over jet lag. Does this sound like the better plan? I am really bad with jet lag.

We also want to do a ski destination such as Zedmatt.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

• 4 weeks later...

We are getting excited about our Vienna-Amsterdam Vantage River Explorer cruise on Dec 3. Spending 4 days in Budapest pre-cruise.

We did a similar Cologne-Nuremberg cruise in 2009 and loved it. The Christmas Markets were superb and we can't wait for it this year.

Anyone else on the same sailing?

Hi CP556 - We are on the Vantage Christmarkets leaving here in Florida on Dec 7th and back on the 20th. We will be on the Navigator ending up in Basel. Might be at some of the Christmas Markets you visit - don't buy everything, leave some "stuff" for us. Have a good trip. Willard

Avalon: Basel to Frankfurt Dec. 18. Anyone else on board with us?

Hi,

I was originally booked on Avalon Panorama from Basel to Prague, but then I changed my mind and preferred to do some touring on my own. Instead I'll be sailing on the Panorama from Basel to Frankfurt with a friend. It will be a bit strange for us to be surrounded mostly by couples, but I guess most people think that river cruises are romantic, but I personally don't believe that. I hope it will snow on those days to enjoy a genuine White Christmas Holidays! Greetings,

Joel

Joel -

On our Christmas market cruise, there seemed to be just as many "friends" as "couples" travelling. There are always one or 2 single travellers as well - so I don't think you will feel out of place.

As for snow... who knows. We hit snow, rain, dry but freezing temperatures along our cruise from Cologne to Basel last year. Pack layers!!

By the way - Welcome to Cruise Critic!!

Fran

Hi Joel,

I don't think you'll feel out of place at all, I did a Christmas market cruise on the Danube a few years ago solo due to husband's work constraints and had a great time. I found lots of friends, sisters, and many couples traveling together and didn't feel funny in the least.

Enjoy your cruise.

Susan

Hi,

I was originally booked on Avalon Panorama from Basel to Prague, but then I changed my mind and preferred to do some touring on my own. Instead I'll be sailing on the Panorama from Basel to Frankfurt with a friend. It will be a bit strange for us to be surrounded mostly by couples, but I guess most people think that river cruises are romantic, but I personally don't believe that. I hope it will snow on those days to enjoy a genuine White Christmas Holidays! Greetings,

Joel

Joel:

Are you on the Panorama 12/18 from Basel? If so, we'll try to find you!

Yes folks, Hope for snow but not too much or too close to your sailing.

We got a foot of snow last year on the Danube and the result was a water level too high for us to go by boat past Regensberg.

(Uniworld did a great job maintaining the itinerary.)

So...Snow Yes, just enough for scenery!

I don't think the water level being too high will be an issue this year, or snow for that matter.

We leave 12.3 for Viking's Rhine Getaway, Basel to Amsterdam on the Helvetia, right now it looks like it's turning into a partial hotel stay/bus tour due to the low water levels on the Rhine and also problems on the Danube. Oh well, it is what it is and we'll still have a fantastic time.

Still keeping my fingers crossed for rain to raise the water level and would love to see snow during our trip.

Susan

Hi Fran,

Nice to know, thanks for the information. I've cruised on Azamara Club Cruises, Oceania, Silverseas, etc. and most of those cruise lines are couples-oriented, Royal Caribbean, Princess Cruises and NCL are more family-oriented. But I read after booking on the Avalon Panorama that river cruising is more romantic than ocean cruise companies. I'll definitely pack layers, thanks for the heads up & thank you for welcoming me on cruisecritic.

Greetings!

Joel

Joel -

On our Christmas market cruise, there seemed to be just as many "friends" as "couples" travelling. There are always one or 2 single travellers as well - so I don't think you will feel out of place.

As for snow... who knows. We hit snow, rain, dry but freezing temperatures along our cruise from Cologne to Basel last year. Pack layers!!

By the way - Welcome to Cruise Critic!!

Fran

Hi Susan,

Good to know! I'll be travelling around some different European countries, and the most laid back & relaxing part of the tour is to experience the Christmas Markets through river cruising, but then my friend and I found out that river cruises are more focused on couples. Then, we said: WHAT THE HECK!?!? We already booked and paid for the stateroom. But thank God we are not going to feel funny about it. Thank you.

Regards,

Joel

Hi Joel,

I don't think you'll feel out of place at all, I did a Christmas market cruise on the Danube a few years ago solo due to husband's work constraints and had a great time. I found lots of friends, sisters, and many couples traveling together and didn't feel funny in the least.

Enjoy your cruise.

Susan

Hi,

Yes, I'm on the Panorama 12/18 from Basel to Frankfurt. It seems it will be a lot of fun, we'll definitely find each other. I know we'll have a great time, this is my very first river cruise though. I was originally booked on the SS Antoinette, but then decided to take a try on the Panorama first.

Regards,

Joel

Joel:

Are you on the Panorama 12/18 from Basel? If so, we'll try to find you!

For those going to Salzburg: I just found this map especially made for Christmas time. It shows all markets and more

http://www.salzburg.info/bdb01_kunst_kultur/adventplan.pdf

And those interested in Mozartkugeln you need to get the original stuff

http://www.original-mozartkugel.com/index_e.php

You can only buy them in Salzburg.

steamboats

Along with the low river problem I just read on Trip Advisor that they found some unexploded WW11 bombs in the river at Koblenz. Report said that they are going to evacuate half of the population on Koblenz on Sunday Dec 4th. What can happen next?

Awaiting to hear about our Vantage Christmas Market trip leaving Dec 7th. Willard

Thank you for the link, 2DesertRats. I am sailing on the Avalon's "Panorama" on Dec 18-29, 2012, from Zurich (Basel) to Prague. I just booked it, and think I got the last room with a view onboard! I don't see anyone here on my cruise, but I'm sure getting to know 166 people will be a piece of cake after my usual cruises of from 800 to 6200 passengers!

Archived