Who's responsible for theiving porters?

eap1986

It says in the Carnival contract that if there are any problems with your luggage due to the dock workers, you should file a complaint with the dock supervisor before leaving the dock on the day you return from the cruise. That's the person to complain to and may give you better legal options since they were contacted.

I hate the newer zippered luggage which is why I travel with hard case luggage that I can lock and put a locking luggage strap around. The locks I use are TSA approved for when I fly, and if Carnival doesn't like anything they see in my bag, I'm happy to go down to the naughty room to open it up for them.

Also, the article posted earlier isn't totally factual. Per Carnival's website, "We suggest all luggage be unlocked before turning over to the porters in order to avoid any inconvenience to you or delay in delivering the luggage to your stateroom. Should you choose not to unlock your bags and prohibited items are found during screening, your luggage will be retained until you can open it in front of security personnel." No where does it say you MUST leave your bags unlocked.

I would say the person responsible, is the one who put valuables in checked luggage.

The OP said that it was not an issue of "valuables" being taken :cool:! They stated there is not a high monetary value to what was stolen.

But.....rather their issue was just the invasion, violation and theft of their private property - regardless of the cost associated with the items.

I also fly to the port. We just did this on American the week of christmas. My makeup bag was in my carryon and it had my clippers and my small blunt scissors in there and I did not take it out of my carryon and they said nothing..
There would be no reason for them to say anything since those are not prohibited TSA items and there would be no need to question them. They are fine to leave inside carry-on luggage when going through security at US airports.

Small scissors with pointy tips are acceptable at US airports so blunt tips are not necessary. Different countries have different regulations.

That's great, real wonderful. However, I want the choice of being able to "lug" my luggage myself without "tipping" some dirtbag porter.

Look, this isn't the 1920's anymore- people don't travel with wooden travel cases that need legions of porters to load onto the trans atlantic cruise ship. Luggage of today is light and has wheels, is easy to move. I have no problem bungy cording multiple bags and pulling them, if I can get them from the parking lot to the airline counter, moving them 20' from the shuttle van to a screener is a piece of cake.

Check back with me after you've carried on your bags on 2000 flights [now verboten] and 51 cruises. [Or seen how many bags my wife can pack:D] One of the reasons I make/made money is to spend it in a way that brings me pleasure. Paying $2.00 a bag to de-hassle me is a pleasure. And I've never met a 'dirtbag' porter.

On debarkation day, I don't even look for my bags in the warehouse. I have money in hand, [they NOTICE!] find a porter, and describe my bag markings to him. Shortly he has them all loaded and TROTS us thru Customs. I'd pay $5.00 a bag for that service.

On debarkation day, I don't even look for my bags in the warehouse. I have money in hand, [they NOTICE!] find a porter, and describe my bag markings to him. Shortly he has them all loaded and TROTS us thru Customs. I'd pay $5.00 a bag for that service.

In Long Beach, we go through Customs before we even go downstairs where the bags are. When we leave the building we hand our declarations form to an agent as we walk by. Never had a problem doing it ourselves.

Originally Posted by Akgoalie7

All of my laptop stuff, DSLR camera stuff, and anything electronic/valuable I carry on. That includes airplanes and boats

Why would you 'carry on' an airplane or a boat?

Because if you dont they could ruin or lose one of your items - happened to me in 2006 on Paradise - I checked my laptop in a thick padded bag - when it got to the cabin - it definately had been dropped - would not turn on - never again would I check an item like this! Carry on what is valuable to you - oh and I didnt have insurance!!!!! Lesson learned.

That's great, real wonderful. However, I want the choice of being able to "lug" my luggage myself without "tipping" some dirtbag porter.

Look, this isn't the 1920's anymore- people don't travel with wooden travel cases that need legions of porters to load onto the trans atlantic cruise ship. Luggage of today is light and has wheels, is easy to move. I have no problem bungy cording multiple bags and pulling them, if I can get them from the parking lot to the airline counter, moving them 20' from the shuttle van to a screener is a piece of cake.

My what an arrogant and rude person you are. May I ask what fantastic and high class job you have so I can compare it to the so called dirtbag porters that you put down so very harshly?

Sometimes it isn't that simple. We pack light, but when you're traveling with a couple bags and a small carryon with meds and other important stuff, and pushing a wheelchair with your mother in law, and trying to wheel her bag, All this when you walk with a cane from spinal damage, it's worth a few bucks to let someone else take care of the bags!

Check back with me after you've carried on your bags on 2000 flights [now verboten] and 51 cruises. [Or seen how many bags my wife can pack:D] One of the reasons I make/made money is to spend it in a way that brings me pleasure. Paying $2.00 a bag to de-hassle me is a pleasure. And I've never met a 'dirtbag' porter.

I've NEVER died in an airplane crash or a car crash for that matter. If I tip the pilot or pay for the most expensive & safest car and tip the car salesman, that means from experience, I will never be killed in an airplane or car crash on my way back from buying my car.

......I guess it's all about money, entitlement, & experience. Just think if we all followed your example there would be no crime to write about all. I'm sure the porters remember your generosity, as no one else boarding the ship that day tips so well, gets special treatment above all others or gets to TROTS ahead free from any unfortunate events.

I've NEVER died in an airplane crash or a car crash for that matter. If I tip the pilot or pay for the most expensive & safest car and tip the car salesman, that means from experience, I will never be killed in an airplane or car crash on my way back from buying my car.

......I guess it's all about money, entitlement, & experience. Just think if we all followed your example there would be no crime to write about all. I'm sure the porters remember your generosity, as no one else boarding the ship that day tips so well, gets special treatment above all others or gets to TROTS ahead free from any unfortunate events.

I guess I just missed this one!!!!!

No, none of those things that are completely far fetched and were never mentioned by me.

I am simply willing to tip people that provide minor services to me. The airplane pilot and the ships Captain are both paid by me in my fare. While the porters are not included in my fare and I could choose to lug my bags all over an airport, or port, by myself. OR drive by the departing gates FIRST, drop the luggage at the curb, pay 2 bucks a bag and be done with them until I arrive at my destination. That small amount of money does not bother me at all.

And I have no idea, nor do I care, if any porter remembers me afterward, as I certainly don't remember them. Remembrance is in your head, not mine.

I'm paying for a minor service that I don't wish to do myself. If that is not clear to you, I have no idea how to communicate with you.

The complaint about tipping porters reminds me again of a story I've posted here before. Barb & I decided to cruise at a certain time, forgetting it was Spring Break. We rent a car to drive to the port and rent another to drive home. Same price as parking but our cars remain in our garage.

The shuttle from the rental co. had Barb & I and 2 young college guys. At the pier the porters came for the bags. The 2 collegians POINTEDLY did not tip the porters after handing over their bags. I carefully pointed out our bags and tipped as normal.

Walking to the terminal, the guys were talking about that tip they didn't give was a drink aboard that they would have. Our bags were at our room about 2 hours after boarding. Don't know how long it took for the bags to arrive, just that they were there when I checked.

We ran into the college guys at the aft Lido bar about 11:30 that night and had a drink with them. One of them said, "I'm sure glad we didn't tip that porter. Our luggage hasn't arrived yet!"

Barb and I simply exchanges glances and said nothing.:D

The complaint about tipping porters reminds me again of a story I've posted here before. Barb & I decided to cruise at a certain time, forgetting it was Spring Break. We rent a car to drive to the port and rent another to drive home. Same price as parking but our cars remain in our garage.

The shuttle from the rental co. had Barb & I and 2 young college guys. At the pier the porters came for the bags. The 2 collegians POINTEDLY did not tip the porters after handing over their bags. I carefully pointed out our bags and tipped as normal.

Walking to the terminal, the guys were talking about that tip they didn't give was a drink aboard that they would have. Our bags were at our room about 2 hours after boarding. Don't know how long it took for the bags to arrive, just that they were there when I checked.

We ran into the college guys at the aft Lido bar about 11:30 that night and had a drink with them. One of them said, "I'm sure glad we didn't tip that porter. Our luggage hasn't arrived yet!"

Barb and I simply exchanges glances and said nothing.:D

Funny thing is... we tipped the porter before leaving the bags with him. I guess $5 wasn't enough so he went in my bag.

we do the colored zip ties as well. One color for when we leave, another to come back. I keep the cable ties in my carry on with a pair of small folding sewing scissors. I understand that it is not locked, but i will know if someone has been in it. We always tip the porters. I also do not mind tipping a few bucks for something i would rather not cart around. I saw someone behind me lug a bag on, and i remember thinking i was glad i was in front of him while we were on that incline to the ship. I cant imagine how painful it would be to be plowed down with luggage with the casters. To the OP...sorry, it stinks...i hope you were able to relax and enjoy your vacation.

I'm paying for a minor service that I don't wish to do myself. If that is not clear to you, I have no idea how to communicate with you.

You missed my point and didn't answer my question- what about the rest of us who DON'T want a porter touching our luggage and DON'T want to pay for a "service" that we don't want?

Isn't it great when dirtbags can call others dirtbags????????????

You missed my point and didn't answer my question- what about the rest of us

Carry on your luggage. You have the choice to do it yourself.

On ships, not on airlines anymore. Just pack well so all fit through the scanner and you may carry on all you wish/can handle on ships.

At airports, you may drag your bags through the parking lots and through the terminal to the counter. And there check it in. No tips. The baggage handlers behind the scenes are paid out of your air fare.

And if you "who DON'T want a porter touching our luggage and DON'T want to pay for a "service" that we don't want?" How is that a problem? You don't have to use a porter or check a bag if you pack right. If you choose to NOT pack right and have to check your bag or bags, is that the porters fault?

Carry on your luggage. You have the choice to do it yourself.

On ships, not on airlines anymore. Just pack well so all fit through the scanner and you may carry on all you wish/can handle on ships.

At airports, you may drag your bags through the parking lots and through the terminal to the counter. And there check it in. No tips. The baggage handlers behind the scenes are paid out of your air fare.

And if you "who DON'T want a porter touching our luggage and DON'T want to pay for a "service" that we don't want?" How is that a problem? You don't have to use a porter or check a bag if you pack right. If you choose to NOT pack right and have to check your bag or bags, is that the porters fault?

That is pretty stupid- I should cram everything I need for one week in a small carry on! At the airport, you DO have a choice to let a porter take it, why not have the SAME choice at the cruise port. Last time I flew, they didn't tell me I couldn't check in my full size suit case without a porter (skycap) touching it. I see where the porters take the luggage- after taking the "please don't steal extortion $" (what you call a 'tip') they move it maybe 20' to the luggage bins. Wow, what a service!!! And, as others pointed out time and again, they steal stuff, suitcases disappear, they are already make great $ with the union, they extend the racket with the "don't tip me, don't expect to see your luggage" fear. I have been to a lot of ports and they always stand strategically between where the cruisers enters port and the luggage pallets and like I said, the distance is measured in a few feet. Service? What service??? Over at pier 91 in Seattle, I have not heard a single complaint, NOT ONE about the lack of porters. Why is that? Why? Because people have no problem rolling their luggage 20' to the bag check in without paying someone for this "service"! In the time it takes you to pull out your wallet and count out some bills, you could have already taken the luggage yourself to the pallet. I have been to ports where the distance between my luggage and the pallet was less than 10', I could literally toss the luggage on it myself without having to fork over $ to a porter for this "service". You talk as if people want to pay porters for something so simple and of course, you are wrong. Further proof is when a ship returns- how many people seek out a porter to "help" them with their luggage?Answer- very, very few. How many porters do you see? Very, very few. Most of them will be outside when new cruisers come in.

No, none of those things that are completely far fetched and were never mentioned by me.

I am simply willing to tip people that provide minor services to me. The airplane pilot and the ships Captain are both paid by me in my fare..

The porters at the port are also paid by you indirectly, from your cruise fare (CCL pays docking fees).

Dock workers make around $40k a year before taxes, $100k with tips (which are untaxed). Now, you feel that despite their getting a good salary, and doing minimal work which requires no thought or education, you feel that they are providing an important service and should be tipped. Great.

If you have ever flown on a small commuter type plane, the pilot, low on the food chain, could be making $30k a year or less. Now, the pilot has a job that requires a lot of skill, training and if he flubbs up, everyone in the plane can die. Tell me, why do feel the porter at the port is more worthy of a tip than this pilot?

Archived