All Things PRIDE!!

rrraydon

How is the boarding decided. Is it by cabin, name or when you check in?

Both sorta....basically it's when you check in.

Unless you're booked in a suite (VIP) or platinum (VIP) or handicapped. They go first.

Then it's in zones according to check in times.

Hey guys, looking for some advice on driving down to the Port of Baltimore.

I'm sailing on January 9th and I will be driving down the day of and leaving my car at the port. I was told that the ship start boarding at 1:30 PM and it is about a 3 hour drive flat for me. Any idea how early I should be before to drop off my bags, get the car parked, etc? I have all my documents and tags printed and ready to go already so that isn't a concern. Thanks.

I will be on the same cruise. We usually arrive around 11-1130. The parking lot is like a grocery store or even a small mall lot very easy to get in and out of the building. Dropping off the bags is real easy. You pull up and they unload the car into the trolley and you park right there.

I am not sure which side we will be parking on, since there are now 3 ships sailing out of Baltimore. For years it was just the Grandeur and parking was always the same. Last year was the first time that there were two ships and we parked, for the first time, on the right hand side of the building as you looked at the ship. We were wondering why there were so many cars already there at such an early arrival time and all the handicapped spaces were full. Then we realized that the Mercury and the Pride were now sailing out of Baltimore.

Sailing on the Pride 8/28/11 to the Eastern Caribbean.

Does anyone know where I could find the Eastern Caribbean Fun Times and MDR menus?

Thanks for the parking rates!

Anyone drive down from NYC? Can use some tips, we're guessing a 3 hour drive.

Mare

I posted this on the RCI boards in reference to a question about RCI vs Carnival. I thought I would copy this post here since it's 'all things Pride'... just my short impression of my first cruise on Carnival and the first of many I hope, on the Pride!:):)

I've just returned from my first Carnival cruise...sailed on the Pride so I can only speak to my experience on that ship.

Before I share my opinion, let me first say that thanks to all the negative feedback about Carnival on this board, I was not looking for anything special on the Pride. That being said, I'm so glad the CC posters got this one wrong. If you are looking for the RCI WOW factor, take a cruise on the Carnival Pride!!

Opinions regarding the decor of the Carnival Pride differ and I too was initially taken aback. After moving throughout the ship over the seven day period, I found the decor to be very unique and quite lovely. Given the Italian art influence, I found nothing to be obscene or 'dark'. The Pride is a fantastic ship! (just as nice a the Enchantment only different)

I think each and every venue I visited on the Pride was simply wonderful! The staff were the most interactive, courteous and professional that I've ever cruised with. This also applies to the captain, Master Captain Alessandro Gullato. Example: during formal night, you don't stand in a line waiting for the ship's photographers to pose you with the captain (for a nice hefty price), the captain mingles with EVERYONE (and you don't need to be D or D+ to have a conversation with him) in the Atrium area and you take 'personal' photos with him and any of the officers. I liked that type of socializing with the management staff as they all seemed anxious to engage with ALL of the guests!

My 12 yr old traveled with us and he thoroughly enjoyed Circle 'C'. (this is the group for 12-14yr olds) They have a wonderful area in the front of the ship which has: computers, video arcade, playstations, lounge area, etc. They all seemed to be getting along with each other and it was truly painful for him when I insisted he enjoy certain activites with us:) (like attending dinner on formal nite!)

The majority of the activites onboard are very similar to RCI with the exception of 'Tea Time'. Carnival hosts this dining treat on sea days during the afternoon...lovely sweets to enjoy!

The ONLY thing I missed about RCI while on the Carnival Pride was (believe it or not) the Windjammer Cafe. I did not enjoy the Merimaid Grille on the Lido deck...the food was not to my liking and most of it was too salty for my taste.

Other than that, I will gladly sail with Carnival's Pride again and still will enjoy the Enchantment or any other ships the cruise lines provide at the Port of Baltimore.

We had a great holiday cruise--even the weather cooperated throughout the week sailing to the Bahamas:)

If you have any questions, I may be able to help. Thanks for listening and Happy New Year!

We (wife and I) sail on the Pride on 02/27. Not our first cruise, but our first on the pride.

Its nice to see an honest and yet refreshing review of the ship. While i can certainly appreciate those who take time to inform the rest of us about particular cruise dislikes or shortcomings...it seems that lately these forums are used for those who do nothing but complain. i would rather be on vacation than have a great day at work!

We are looking forward to a relaxing, fun filled week on the Pride. Hope to see some of you there.

Does anyone know where I could find the Eastern Caribbean Fun Times and MDR menus?

Mare

You're welcome.:)

From my experience, it's more like a 4 1/2 hour drive down from NYC. It's a pretty easy drive, though, down I-95 (depending on traffic conditions:o).

You're welcome.:)

From my experience, it's more like a 4 1/2 hour drive down from NYC. It's a pretty easy drive, though, down I-95 (depending on traffic conditions:o).

It took us 5 1/2 hours to drive to Ocean City, MD this past summer. Lots of potty stops for the 3 yr old!

Should I plan for 5 hours to Baltimore (with pit stops) or should i just go a day earlier and spend the night at a hotel?

Mare

Menu is fleetwide. http://www.zydecocruiser.com/menus/Menus_D_1-7.htm

but looking now for a cruise in August is pointless. THings change all the time. And only use the funtimes as a guideline as it could change when you are sailing. People sometimes get dissappointed because they were expecting A to happen and got B instead.

I posted this on the RCI boards in reference to a question about RCI vs Carnival. I thought I would copy this post here since it's 'all things Pride'... just my short impression of my first cruise on Carnival and the first of many I hope, on the Pride!:):)

I've just returned from my first Carnival cruise...sailed on the Pride so I can only speak to my experience on that ship.

Before I share my opinion, let me first say that thanks to all the negative feedback about Carnival on this board, I was not looking for anything special on the Pride. That being said, I'm so glad the CC posters got this one wrong. If you are looking for the RCI WOW factor, take a cruise on the Carnival Pride!!

Opinions regarding the decor of the Carnival Pride differ and I too was initially taken aback. After moving throughout the ship over the seven day period, I found the decor to be very unique and quite lovely. Given the Italian art influence, I found nothing to be obscene or 'dark'. The Pride is a fantastic ship! (just as nice a the Enchantment only different)

I think each and every venue I visited on the Pride was simply wonderful! The staff were the most interactive, courteous and professional that I've ever cruised with. This also applies to the captain, Master Captain Alessandro Gullato. Example: during formal night, you don't stand in a line waiting for the ship's photographers to pose you with the captain (for a nice hefty price), the captain mingles with EVERYONE (and you don't need to be D or D+ to have a conversation with him) in the Atrium area and you take 'personal' photos with him and any of the officers. I liked that type of socializing with the management staff as they all seemed anxious to engage with ALL of the guests!

My 12 yr old traveled with us and he thoroughly enjoyed Circle 'C'. (this is the group for 12-14yr olds) They have a wonderful area in the front of the ship which has: computers, video arcade, playstations, lounge area, etc. They all seemed to be getting along with each other and it was truly painful for him when I insisted he enjoy certain activites with us:) (like attending dinner on formal nite!)

The majority of the activites onboard are very similar to RCI with the exception of 'Tea Time'. Carnival hosts this dining treat on sea days during the afternoon...lovely sweets to enjoy!

The ONLY thing I missed about RCI while on the Carnival Pride was (believe it or not) the Windjammer Cafe. I did not enjoy the Merimaid Grille on the Lido deck...the food was not to my liking and most of it was too salty for my taste.

Other than that, I will gladly sail with Carnival's Pride again and still will enjoy the Enchantment or any other ships the cruise lines provide at the Port of Baltimore.

We had a great holiday cruise--even the weather cooperated throughout the week sailing to the Bahamas:)

If you have any questions, I may be able to help. Thanks for listening and Happy New Year!

Glad you had a good time...I love the Pride too!!!!

It took us 5 1/2 hours to drive to Ocean City, MD this past summer. Lots of potty stops for the 3 yr old!

Should I plan for 5 hours to Baltimore (with pit stops) or should i just go a day earlier and spend the night at a hotel?

I know about pit stops (got an 8- and a 3- yr old, myself);):p. If driving down the same day, I'd allow at least 6 hours, just-in-case. But then, I'm a worrier. For the same reason (being a worrier, afraid to miss the ship), I'd drive down the day before if it's an option. Just for peace-of-mind.:o

Funny thing is, I'm doing the reverse of your trip for our Glory cruise out of NYC in June. I'm nervous about driving up the same day.:o

Sorry I meant to say sailing on Jan. 30th.

Hey, Riatees!:) Haven't seen you on the roll call, lately. Come on back and help us decide when and where we are going to have our meet & greet!

Sorry to go slightly off-topic, there folks (although it is a Pride roll call:cool:).

I've got a question for those in the know that a few of us were asking a while back...

Does anyone know where the "good luck" or "superstition" coin is on the Pride?

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1308889

We sailed Pride last summer, coming from about 2 hours north of NYC. We drove down the day before as far as South Jersey (about 20 miles north of the Del Mem Bridge) and then finished the drive Sunday morning. We were worried about traffic on I-95 so we got on the road around 8. We ended up arriving at the pier at 9:30, which was much too early - they wouldn't even let us park at that point. We drove over to Fort McHenry, did a tour (well worth it) and came back after 11. Even with that, and with VIP boarding, we weren't aboard the ship until 1:30.

Been on both ships as well- I'm not sure I have a preference though I def like the cruise director staff better on the Pride than the Enchantment- the Enchantment CD and ACD were, for lack of a better word, snobby. Seemed like they were too good for the crowd.

The Pride CD both times i've been have been the main reason we go back! Even with lackluster itinerary and cold beginning and end to our cruise- we really do enjoy the people on board.

What time should we plan on arriving at the port? Carnival's web site says that you should get there 1 1/2 hours before you embark. THey list that at 2pm for Baltimore. If we plan to be there between 11:15 and 11:30 will we be okay? I don't want to sit and sit, but since we cruise during the Feb break, the place will be packed with kids:eek:. So I want to have a little extra time to deal with that, plus the fact that we will have 8 in our group to keep together and check in.

We plan to get to the port at 11:30.

In Dec we got there at about 11:00...they didn't start boarding until 1:00, they ran late getting the previous pax off.

Last feb they started boarding at about noon...hit or miss I guess.

I see lots of posts about when to arrive in order to board first, but nothing about when to arrive to sail straight in. We have an antsy three-year-old, so we'd prefer to arrive when the wait time is shortest. Is that the end of the day? When do they close boarding? I don't want to stress about missing the ship, but I'm a little nervous about getting there and having to sit around for hours while hoping our portable DVD player batteries hold out!

I know about pit stops (got an 8- and a 3- yr old, myself);):p. If driving down the same day, I'd allow at least 6 hours, just-in-case. But then, I'm a worrier. For the same reason (being a worrier, afraid to miss the ship), I'd drive down the day before if it's an option. Just for peace-of-mind.:o

Funny thing is, I'm doing the reverse of your trip for our Glory cruise out of NYC in June. I'm nervous about driving up the same day.:o

I'm going to convince the Hubby to stay overnight. Neither one of us wants to begin our vacation with stress and anxiety! :)

Sorry I can't offer any tips for the port of NYC. I take a taxi there and back. Although, Nicole from Chicago can help you. Here's her blog: Sunglasses and Umbrella drinks. She stays in NJ prior to cruising out of NYC. She has lots of photos and info about the hotel on her blog:

http://sunglassesandumbrelladrinks.blogspot.com/2010_06_01_archive.html

I truly appreciate you honest reply regarding the driving time. I really thought is was only a few hours. I would have been a wreak! :eek:

Thanks again,

Mare

I see lots of posts about when to arrive in order to board first, but nothing about when to arrive to sail straight in. We have an antsy three-year-old, so we'd prefer to arrive when the wait time is shortest. Is that the end of the day? When do they close boarding? I don't want to stress about missing the ship, but I'm a little nervous about getting there and having to sit around for hours while hoping our portable DVD player batteries hold out!

2pm. You'll also be able to go directly to your room.

I'm going to convince the Hubby to stay overnight. Neither one of us wants to begin our vacation with stress and anxiety! :)

Sorry I can't offer any tips for the port of NYC. I take a taxi there and back. Although, Nicole from Chicago can help you. Here's her blog: Sunglasses and Umbrella drinks. She stays in NJ prior to cruising out of NYC. She has lots of photos and info about the hotel on her blog:

http://sunglassesandumbrelladrinks.blogspot.com/2010_06_01_archive.html

I truly appreciate you honest reply regarding the driving time. I really thought is was only a few hours. I would have been a wreak! :eek:

Thanks again,

Mare

You are very welcome!:)

And thank you for the link to the blog - I'll check it out and see what I can learn.:)

Good choice on driving down the day before. Before this Glory cruise, I've never even considered not overnighting in the port city, pre-cruise.

If you're interested in a third-person Baltimore park-and-cruise hotel recommendation... someone on my upcoming Pride roll call from NY likes the Fairfield Inn & Suites in White Marsh, MD. He stayed there for his last Pride cruise and is choosing to stay there again.:)