Teens on Azamara?

Netta7

We are thinking of trying Azmara this summer and wonder if anyone has experience taking teens on the ship. Our kids are well traveled. They are not interested in kids programs/separate teen areas, etc., so that isn't an issue for us. I expect one of our sons will be interested in attending lectures and cooking demonstrations if offered during our cruise.

We took a Princess cruise a couple of years ago and it wasn't really the experience we wanted. We are thinking that Azmara's ships and itineraries may be more to our liking. Would love to hear from someone who has traveled with teens/tweens.

Thanks!

Although we haven't traveled with teens, we've met a wonderful family from Australia on Azamara who travel with their two young teenage daughters. This is a family that has seen much of the world. Their daughters are a pleasure to talk to, well read, and articulate. We were thrilled to find out that they were aboard again on our most recent Azamara cruise. It was like running into old friends.

If your children are anything like Annabelle and Emma, they will probably enjoy the cruise. I'm sure you realize that there will be very few kids onboard. That said, I wouldn't hesitate to bring them.

We've sailed on Azamara twice and seen few teens on board. I don't remember any cooking demos but there are lectures and a wonderful library. The pool is very small so not really any swimming available but the fitness center is pretty nice and there are some classes offered (although they charge extra for some). If you get a port-intensive itinerary though not much of this matters as you will all be onshore most of the time.

Sandi and I are blessed with five kids. Three are teenagers (16, 18, 19) and when we try something other than Azamara they are very displeased. However, they love to travel, they are well behaved, and we set very specific guidelines. They also have each other as we do not have large numbers of teens onboard. They tend to be with us during holidays or in the summer when they are out of school. In our kids cases, they dislike the teen programs that they have been exposed too, and feel they are too artificial. We select voyages that are active and the kids love the tours and the overnight stays or extended stays. They truly love meeting people from other countries. They also love to travel with my in-laws and grandma and grandpa love traveling with them. The extended family traveling together, in our case, is a journey of joy.

Having stated the above we do not have large numbers of teens or children onboard. I've come to conclude that a great deal depends on the families and for some the cultural experiences provided are ideal and for others who want video games and constant interaction with teen peers we would not be a good selection.

. . . for some the cultural experiences provided are ideal and for others who want video games and constant interaction with teen peers we would not be a good selection.

Enough said! My kids would have been fine on Azamara when they were teens.

My 16 and 13 year old boys have been travelling on cruises and tours with me and my Dad (and now his wife) for four years. Hopefully they truly know how lucky they are to see the world.The younger son loves to hang with peers playing sports with teens and crew on the interactive cruises, however, this port intensive trip will keep us plenty busy during the days. The older son is happy with cultural experiences. I think Azmara will be terrific--to get to spend evenings in port and get full days to explore will be outstanding.

Took my grandson for high school graduation to Baltics (history he loves) and he loved the cruise and the ship - there were maybe only 3 teens (alll younger) onboard but the cruise was so port intensive that he did not seem to mind especially when most crew were calling him by name (of course being 6'4" he did stand out in a crowd) and is still talking about it - 2 years later in glowing terms! Already planning for his college graduation trip - Definitely recommend it!

I've been on Azamara twice. Both times there were very few kids. On one cruise, there was a family with 3 preteens.They were very well behaved. John Howell tried to entertain them. He even let them perform one evening. The teens that we met on our second trip were bored and often expressed it. It wasn't the cruise for them.

We traveled to the Baltics on the Journey last year with our sons (13 & 14) -- they had a great time. Even though there are any specific programs for them - they kept busy while on the ship (which isn't a lot since it was so port intensive). Being a rare commodity on the ship -- they got to know the staff & many of the cruisers.

We are heading to Spain this summer on the Journey -- that should be evidence enough!

Archived