Ah, glorious misconceptions

tropical.dreams

On another board I frequent, a girl asked about cruise opinions, and got this response:

Carnival is the "party" one- lots of couples getting drunk and partying. Norwegian is more formal- white glove service. Older couples fancying it up. We did Princess, and it was in the middle- lots of partying to be had, but still formal dinners and events if you wanted.

I just about spit out my orange juice.

Of course, I had to clear up the misconception!

How does one even get the perception that NCL is like that? My only thought is that maybe she meant Holland?

And I so wish that Carnival could get out of the "everybody's drunk all the time" perception!

The majority of the people that make statements like that have never cruised on those lines. They only repeat what they've heard and in most cases, those that they heard it from have never cruised on those lines either.

Even if it were true about the white glove service, I can't imagine food tasting any better if it were served with white gloves.

NCL?????? Really? My conception of NCL is that it's the laid-back people's ship.

I think she might've meant Holland America? Even so, it's not that super high-class.

Also, I think the amount of drunken passengers varies depending on the time of cruising.... there are going to be more young partiers on Carnival ships during the spring and summer than during the fall and winter months.

we have sailed ccl twice and rci once. I wouldn't say I saw any fewer people drinking on the rci ship then we saw on the two ccl ships. however you didn't see people belly upped to the bars by the pool on rci since they are only walk up. I would agree the drunks were more easily spoted on the ccl ships though. however saying that I can't say I would have classified any of the three ships I have been on as party ships. people had fun but not what I would consider party ships. just people have a few drinks and enjoying themselves.

The thing about conceptions is they are unique to the individual. What may be a misconception to you is, in reality, true to someone else. I think most people around here are smart enough to know that when someone posts an opinion like that, it is just that - their opinion.

As for the "everybody's drunk all the time" perception, I also have to agree with what wwaggone said. I have been on enough Carnival cruises to say that in my experience, it is true compared to other cruise lines.

I thought Carnival was the party ship line, until I began sailing on her. Having sailed Holland America prior to Carnival, I did not think I would like Carnival. Boy was I wrong! There is the party aspect to the cruises, if that is what you want, but there is also elegance (the Chef's dinner, the Steakhouse, some lounges), so there really is something for everyone. While I see more young people on board Carnival, there are mature people s well. I think the youth help keep me young, and I even go to the disco some. I have been so impressed with Carnival I am now a platinum cruiser. I will also cruise Holland again, and look forward to trying other lines as sell, but for the price and convenience, Carnival cannot be beat!

I have sailed on RCCL, NCL & CCL over my many years of sailing. Of my experiences, if I closed my eyes, I wouldn't know which line I was on. I enjoy travelling & sometimes price is the answer. I've had good deals on all of them. Have a Happy & Safe New Year. Be nice.

I thought Carnival was the party ship line, until I began sailing on her. Having sailed Holland America prior to Carnival, I did not think I would like Carnival. Boy was I wrong! There is the party aspect to the cruises, if that is what you want, but there is also elegance (the Chef's dinner, the Steakhouse, some lounges), so there really is something for everyone. While I see more young people on board Carnival, there are mature people s well. I think the youth help keep me young, and I even go to the disco some. I have been so impressed with Carnival I am now a platinum cruiser. I will also cruise Holland again, and look forward to trying other lines as sell, but for the price and convenience, Carnival cannot be beat!

Some people confuse FUN SHIPS with PARTY SHIPS.

Their loss. That's NOT what Carnival is all about.

I remember when RCL was very fancy- non alcoholic drinks were free in the mdr and when you sat down, your drink was waiting for you. Every night, appetizers included shrimp cocktail or a shrimp/crab meat cocktail, some caviar was also offered and the quality of meat (prime rib, sea food) was excellent.Last night, I was watching a video of our '03 cruise on he Explorerof the seas and they had an incredible midnight buffet that included more chocolate than a CCL chocolate buffet, with things like strawberries dipped in white chocolate.

How times have changed.

Some people's perceptions are based on other people's lack of knowledge...

My first CCL cruise in 1991 was great, and not many drunks to be seen. I have seen a few people good n drunk, but in most of those cases they were happy drunks. The last cruise had a bunch of rednecks from Georgia and one Hubby/Wife combo only got funnier and happier when drunk!

Archived