hawwich to gatwyck

ledris2

We are getting off a RCCI cruise on May 11 in Harwich. We need to get from Harwich to Gatwyck.

Our plane leaves at 1 we need to be there by 12. We should be off the ship by 8.

What would be the quickest and cheapest way to get there. All suggestions are welcome as this is driving me crazy. I could take a shuttle I realize at 80pounds/person but that is just way too expensive.

So, I need help. Thanks a lot

Best bet is the train.

Can't check exact times ,as May 11th is too far ahead, but I looked at a Wednesday in March. Currently, your best choice is the 0803 service from Harwich International (which is right beside the ship) to London Liverpool Street. Your tube transfer is included in the price, but its a bit of a pain, (Down to the tube, go 1 stop, change line, go 1 stop, up into London Bridge station), so I would bite the bullet and get a black cab to London Bridge station (should be under £10) and get the First Capital Connect service to Gatwick airport (station is in the south terminal) arr at 1040. Now there is another way to do this. From Harwich, don't go all the way to London, but get off at Stratford and change on to the Jubilee line tube there. It is then 7 stops (about 35 mins) to London Bridge station and it is all 'disabled friendly' so should be easy to cope with luggage and you would still get the same train from London Bridge (and save the cab fare!). Whichever way you go, its currently £37.70 ea. For your info use http://ojp.nationalrail.co.uk/en/s/planjourney/query

and http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloads/standard-tube-map.pdf

Simon

We are getting off a RCCI cruise on May 11 in Harwich. We need to get from Harwich to Gatwyck.

Our plane leaves at 1 we need to be there by 12. We should be off the ship by 8.

What would be the quickest and cheapest way to get there. All suggestions are welcome as this is driving me crazy. I could take a shuttle I realize at 80pounds/person but that is just way too expensive.

I agree that the train is your best bet.

However, I truly think that you are cutting it far too fine with your flight.

Where are you flying to, that you only need to be at Gatwick one hour before departure? For International flights, the recommendation is 3 hours before departure.

Even for a domestic flight, considering check-in lines and security screening, one hour seems marginal.

Did you realise the distance between Harwich and Gatwick? Harwich is northeast of London and Gatwick is southwest. Any journey between the two places involves either travel through London or skirting around it by road, probably using the M25, which is notorious for traffic jams. Either way, you are looking at a journey of at least 3 hours.

I seriously doubt that a shuttle with RCCL would guarantee your arrival at Gatwick in time to catch your flight.

If you don't want to go by train, I would contact one of the car companies that does door-to-door pick up and delivery. They will meet you at Harwich and drop you at the correct terminal at Gatwick. They won't be cheap, but are usually reliable. Do a search on this board for suggestions.

Whatever you decide, you will need to self-disembark and be one of the first to get off the ship.

Sorry.. JMHO...but I think you're cutting it way too close..not the best way to end a cruise..Any flexibility on your return time flight home ?? If not best of luck to you and enjoy your cruise...

Unless by 1 you mean 1am, there's zero chance you will make your flight. And why is 80 GBP/person too expensive, you realize you're talking about going from a port 60 miles NE of London to an airport 25 miles south of London, and crossing one of the most congested cities in the world.

Unless by 1 you mean 1am, there's zero chance you will make your flight. And why is 80 GBP/person too expensive, you realize you're talking about going from a port 60 miles NE of London to an airport 25 miles south of London, and crossing one of the most congested cities in the world.

I don't think the OP does realise the distance involved. It is his/her first post on CC and it sounds as if he/ she is only just starting research.

I wonder if this is one of the times where a potential cruiser has been misled by the way some cruise lines describe the UK ports as London (Harwich), London (Dover), and London (Southampton)?

In truth, none of these ports is "London". Only Greenwich/ Tilbury (used by HAL) is really in London (and even that is the opposite side of London to Heathrow and Gatwick).

By the way, I can't find any cruise that ends on May 11 in Harwich. Jewel of the Seas is doing a 12-day repositioning cruise from Fort Lauderdale to Harwich, from May 6 to May 18, 2011.

Archived