NCL CEO on Undercover Boss

MiamiSpartan

Kudos to Kevin Sheehan of NCL who was on Undercover Boss tonite....

At the end of the show, he is arranging for Manhattan Room waitress Syliva to marry her girlfriend on the ship....

Looks like NCL is pretty damn gay friendly...

Can't wait to go on the Epic in less than two weeks and meet Sylvia!!

At the end of the show, he is arranging for Manhattan Room waitress Syliva to marry her girlfriend on the ship....

I was so HAPPY with that gift that I all I could do was :D. Although we won't be on the Epic, we had chosen to get married on the NCL Jewel over an RCCL ship and I am so glad we did. It just validates that we made a great choice in supporting that cruise line. We had also looked into Carnival and although we can spend our green on their ships, they won't do same-sex weddings!

Silvia was the star of the show -- served CEO Sheehan once and remembered him, and clearly is great at her job.

And then when she mentioned she has a girlfriend and is going to marry her, and Sheehan, as he should have, just took this as everyday conversation, it was further proof of the sea change (no pun intended) in our culture. That NCL is going to host their wedding was just the icing on the cake.

My partner and I are big NCL fans; we've done four NCL cruises, with a 5th already booked. Ironically, our first NCL cruise was an Olivia charter in Alaska.

PS: Lipz: I've congratulated you both on another thread, but congrats again on your upcoming wedding. We were on the Jewel in October; she's a great ship with a wonderful crew, and I'm sure you'll have a fantastic time. And that's really amazing news about Carnival. Screw them.

Miami, I'm afraid you might not get to meet her. This was filmed this summer and her bio on the NCL page says "Silvia will be starting on her sixth ship, Norwegian Jade in Europe, when she returns to work in December." but who knows....I hope you do get to meet her.

Also, in case you don't know, Disney Cruise Line is extremely gay friendly with their employees! If you are Officer status or above and have your own cabin your significant other can come sail with your FREE up to the length of your contract! :D

PS: Lipz: I've congratulated you both on another thread, but congrats again on your upcoming wedding. We were on the Jewel in October; she's a great ship with a wonderful crew, and I'm sure you'll have a fantastic time. And that's really amazing news about Carnival. Screw them.

Thank you!

I have read many wonderful things about the Jewel and I am glad I choose it. At first I was a little upset that we didn't go with the Gem which has the rock climbing wall and bowling, but then I realized we always make our own fun so we are going to have a great time no matter what!

I am not a fan of NCL...but...personnel make a big difference.

I sailed Epic and disliked the ship, the crew (with exceptions) and the supposed Freestyle environment...but..

A month later I sailed the Pride of America and was impressed. The ship is no beauty queen, luxury product it was not. But everyone from the Captain on down were fantastic. When I spoke at a cruise critic gathering at the end of the cruise I stated the crew should be transfered to the Epic. Well in the room was the head of ship services for the NCL line. He approached me and from there we went to the Lanai bar and I gave him my observations (with specifics) which he actually typed into his phone. I was totally impressed with his honest interest in my comments....

Between his demeanor and interest, the Captain (Buzz), the Chef de Cuisine (Frank), I am now contemplating another NCL cruise.

In addition, my plans call for sailing the maiden voyage of the next new build due out in 2013.

My first cruise was on NCL......and now although the harware isn't my taste, the personnel make all the difference.......

I am not a fan of NCL...but...personnel make a big difference.

I sailed Epic and disliked the ship, the crew (with exceptions) and the supposed Freestyle environment...but..

A month later I sailed the Pride of America and was impressed. The ship is no beauty queen, luxury product it was not. But everyone from the Captain on down were fantastic. When I spoke at a cruise critic gathering at the end of the cruise I stated the crew should be transfered to the Epic. Well in the room was the head of ship services for the NCL line. He approached me and from there we went to the Lanai bar and I gave him my observations (with specifics) which he actually typed into his phone. I was totally impressed with his honest interest in my comments....

Between his demeanor and interest, the Captain (Buzz), the Chef de Cuisine (Frank), I am now contemplating another NCL cruise.

In addition, my plans call for sailing the maiden voyage of the next new build due out in 2013.

My first cruise was on NCL......and now although the harware isn't my taste, the personnel make all the difference.......

We're getting a bit off topic here, but it's hard to judge NCL based on the Epic, as it is very unlike the rest of the NCL fleet. In fact, it's clear from the NCL board that many NCL fans don't like the Epic (I sure have no desire to sail on her based on what I've read).

Most recently, we were on the NCL Jewel. The staff and crew were great.

We love freestyle cruising, but we understand that it's not everyone's cup of tea. Glad you are thinking about another NCL cruise. :)

Perhaps, but I guess I was just thinking the management and leadership appears to be strong. The CEO might be on the ball...but my recent trip suggests that it trickles down to the ships...a good thing in my book.

Attitude and leadersip make for a successful product.;)

I enjoyed the show and was glad he treated her to the wedding. It's one thing to be open and accepting but to risk the wrath of the more conservative end of his clientele showed real character.

I have to say I'm glad they gave his bio at the start of the show (he is obviously very talented and experienced) because he came off as very bumbling and unaware of the features of his own product. How could he not know how the "ice rink" rink concept? Don't they have meeting upon meeting before they launch a ship?

Anyhow, I am very happy to be sailing NCL next month having seen how great the employees are and how fairly treated they seem to be also.

... How could he not know how the "ice rink" rink concept? Don't they have meeting upon meeting before they launch a ship?

Agreed!

You don't make it to the top by not knowing what is going on. I would have liked it if he did a bit more on the entertainment itinerary. I have yet to travel on any cruise and not be underwhelmed by the nursing home "activities" that are frequently scheduled. I'm not one for bingo, karaoke makes me want to claw the skin off of my face and tired musical productions or lame attempts at stage comedy replaces ambien in a heartbeat!

The ship I'm on is leaving out of NJ. At least make the activities more in line with the environment. Scrap the rock climbing wall and give us "scale the apartment building walls!" Or how about, sleep past this noise as you try to identify the garbage truck, a bus break down or a gunshot from a distance. Ice skating rinks? Now REALLY? NY/NJ goes on meltdown in an inch of slush and they expect people from this area to go skating on plastic with some unidentifiable oil? What do they think, we are from the Gulf after the BP disaster?

There is something that should be a contractual caveat, particularly for foreigners coming to NY/NJ for travel. If you cut a fat person in the food line, you will be forked at your own risk. Heck, we can turn that into an activity by seeing how many are walking around with embedded antennas stuck in their shoulder blades at the end of the trip! We'd have FM radio while waiting to disembark!

Agreed!

You don't make it to the top by not knowing what is going on. I would have liked it if he did a bit more on the entertainment itinerary. I have yet to travel on any cruise and not be underwhelmed by the nursing home "activities" that are frequently scheduled. I'm not one for bingo, karaoke makes me want to claw the skin off of my face and tired musical productions or lame attempts at stage comedy replaces ambien in a heartbeat!

The ship I'm on is leaving out of NJ. At least make the activities more in line with the environment. Scrap the rock climbing wall and give us "scale the apartment building walls!" Or how about, sleep past this noise as you try to identify the garbage truck, a bus break down or a gunshot from a distance. Ice skating rinks? Now REALLY? NY/NJ goes on meltdown in an inch of slush and they expect people from this area to go skating on plastic with some unidentifiable oil? What do they think, we are from the Gulf after the BP disaster?

There is something that should be a contractual caveat, particularly for foreigners coming to NY/NJ for travel. If you cut a fat person in the food line, you will be forked at your own risk. Heck, we can turn that into an activity by seeing how many are walking around with embedded antennas stuck in their shoulder blades at the end of the trip! We'd have FM radio while waiting to disembark!

Have a look at the entertainment line-up for the EPIC.

It's unlike anything else you've ever seen.

What great news! My partner and I sailed on the Epic for a two week B2B this past summer and loved it. We even met Sylvia who was not only fantastic but a real sweet heart. She loved that we were open about our relationship and were celebrating our 20th anniversary, so much so that when we saw her strolling through port one day, she called out our names and we met her girlfriend as well. Both were super friendly and we chatted on the dock for close to an hour.

Congrats Sylvia! And many thanks for making our 20th celebration aboard the Epic so memorable!!!

Make sure you update us on your epic trip. I have some friends from Seattle that just got off epic this weekend. :D

• 1 month later...

Archived