travel guard coverage question

yankees1082

Hi,

We just recently returned from our cruise and flight home. After fully unpacking, we are missing some items that we are sure we unpacked. They must have gotten lost between when we packed and returned home (checking bags with porters, at the hotel, at the airport). We purchased travel guard insuracne, as we always do for a vacation. We have never made a claim before. Will the insurance reimburse us between 100 and 400 dollars for the missing items (cologne, a laptop charger, and some nice sandals and shoes)?

If so, what is the process, how long will it take, etc? Do I call the insurance, cruise line, airline... and is this all possible and worth the potential hassle?

Thanks so much.

I would contact the insurance company and see what they will do for you. We have never made a claim for lost items but we have done medical claims. The process for medical is long and can be complicated but once you know how to do it, it is easy. You won't know until you give it a try. They will probably want receipts to show the value of what was missing.

It depends on your policy (there are different levels of coverage and also some terms change depending on how it was purchased) so I can't give a definite answer.

They will probably require some proof of purchase and a sworn affidavit that you packed the items and that they were stolen or lost in transit (items you forgot to pack are not covered). If you think they were removed in baggage handling, then you may also need to file a police report or claim with the air/cruiseline. Also, clothing and shoes are not always covered.

For $100 I probably wouldn't want to deal with it, but $400 might be worth a phone call.

Yes, by all means file a claim. However, if you are beyond the filing deadlines to file a claim with the airline and/or cruise line (I think the airline deadline is 24 hours), I expect your insurance claim may be denied. They could reasonably argue that you gave up your right to file a claim by letting the claim deadlines with your travel providers expire. Almost certainly you would need to file whatever you can with Princess and/or your airline before the insurance company will touch it.

Give it a whirl, but I think you may have waited too long...

Yes, Travel Guard does cover for lost or stolen baggage/items up to the policy amount (varies, but usually starts at least $500 or so). But as noted above, the kicker is having the original receipt for the missing item and/or an incident report. Not having these won't necessarily cause a denial, but the more you have the easier it is to prove your claim.

Here are the FAQs for that type of claim:

Baggage Loss Terms and Conditions

Q. Original Receipts

A. Original receipts for the lost items or for items damaged beyond repair. If your bags were delayed submit the original receipts for the necessary items purchased.

Q. Proof of Travel

A. Documentation proving travel; hotel receipt, itinerary, ticket stub, etc.

Q. List of Claimed Items

A. If you do not have the original receipts for the lost items, please include a list of missing items, with the date purchased and the price you paid at the time the item was purchased.

Proof of the Reason for the Claim

Q. A copy of the incident report.

A. An irregularity report, incident report, or a copy of the loss report filed with the carrier, or a copy of the police report if the items were stolen.

Q. A copy of the settlement check with the airline/cruiseline/tour operator

A. If a loss report was filed with the airline/cruiseline/tour operator we need a copy of the settlement statement. Either a copy of the denial letter, or agreement of payment with the amount paidIf no incident report was filed, we need proof of travel, such as a ticket stub, itinerary, or invoice, something that proves travel on that date.

Q. Verification of damaged luggage from a luggage repair shop

A. A repair estimate, or something from the luggage shop saying the item is not repairable.

Start here to file a claim:

http://www.travelguard.com/aboutus/claims/claimsTG/

Archived