How has CC changed your cruising experience?

marelind

I was posting on our Roll Call that Cruise Critic has changed my cruise experience in many ways. Before Cruise Critic (BCC) I felt a bit lonely on board the ship as DH tends to stay in the cabin and is not a "joiner" or particularly social. I was longing for a bit more interaction with other cruise passengers, but not looking for a best friend. After Cruise Critic (ACC) I participated in the Roll Call and looked forward to the Meet and Greet. Throughout each cruise I liked seeing a familiar face and saying hi to other CCers in the halls.

BCC we had a suite for 5 nights, but didn't know what perks were available or what a butler, much less a concierge, were would do for us. ACC we know what to expect, what to ask for, and what are extra special requests.

BCC I didn't know about Blue Lagoon or the Great Outdoors or Pretzel Rolls. I didn't understand who the DSC covered or about automatic gratuities on spa or bar bills.

Thanks to CC and all the CCers for giving me the ins and outs of cruising.

Anyone else?

I didn't know anything.....Dress up nights....???? what was that? And people got really upset about it. Smoking....better be careful about where you do that. Or even talking about it. LOL. Which rooms are best, what locations, hump, aft, mid, forward, up, down, upside down, inside, outside, all the way around, promenade, garden, spa, villas. dang, lots of new words. Excursions, through the cruiseline, on your own...which ones...It is just so much fun reading everyone's experience in all the places they have been. some good, some bad. Sometimes you laugh with them, sometimes you cry with them. CC has enhanced my life in very many different ways. Everyone has taught me so much about cruising, but there is so much more to learn, I hope someday to be able to help teach new cruisers.

I was posting on our Roll Call that Cruise Critic has changed my cruise experience in many ways. Before Cruise Critic (BCC) I felt a bit lonely on board the ship as DH tends to stay in the cabin and is not a "joiner" or particularly social. I was longing for a bit more interaction with other cruise passengers, but not looking for a best friend. After Cruise Critic (ACC) I participated in the Roll Call and looked forward to the Meet and Greet. Throughout each cruise I liked seeing a familiar face and saying hi to other CCers in the halls.

This is an interesting question. I'll weigh in, though I'm a relative newbie here (only discovered CC after our 3rd cruise, and only 5 cruises completed, plus coming up in a few weeks, yay!).

My husband and I are not particularly social cruisers since we like to keep to ourselves on vacation, so the Roll Calls and Meet & Greets are not for us, but I do feel part of a broader CC community by reading and posting on the boards. I have really come to value the advice I receive here, and I try to pass my own experiences or tips along when I can.

I'd say the biggest change in my cruising experience is in the planning stages. Planning a cruise for my family went from a potentially overwhelming to a manageable and even fun experience ACC, to borrow your acronym. From downloading packing lists for toddlers, learning that swim diapers are no-nos in the wading pools (honestly, the signs are not always well posted, so thank goodness I'd read about this ahead of time on CC!), tips about toddler-friendly shore excursions, even scouring the Freestyle Dailies other CC members so kindly posted-- in most cases, this is simply not the kind of information you can get on the cruiseline website.

Plus, checking the boards is a great way to procrastinate!

We are experienced cruiser and have typically just used sites like CC to get info before or after the cruise. The past few cruises, we have participated in the Meet and Greets each week, even if we are on back-to-back cruises.

When we were on the Epic we had a great group and participated in a Cabin Crawl that allowed us to view everything from a Handicapped-accessible cabin to the new Studio Singles to an "Owner's Suite". We saw just about everything in between those classes.

I never would have been able to see that many cabins in one cruise if it had not been for CC.

Thanks,

-Jim In Buffalo

Currently snowing and 31 degrees F outside. Can't wait for the next cruise.

I got a job as a personal cruise consultant because I knew so much about cruising - all from reading CC. No kidding :) I knew all about Carnival's 1A's, butlers for NCL, the ins and outs of every port, what hotels people like, what shuttle services to use, and how to pack. I know all about the best itineraries and can recommend excursions. I know how the different cruiselines stack up against each other and could recommend a particular line based on my client's needs.

I recommended CC to all the new cruisers so they'd be as well informed on their cruise as I have been.

CC has greatly improved my cruise experience. I was just thinking about this the other day. I think CC makes cruising way more fun and way more worth my time.

For most people when they plan a cruise, they spend a little time planning, a little time thinking about it, a little time talking about it, about a week on it, and then it is over. However for me, thru CC, I spend tons of time planning, tons of time thinking about it, tons of time talking about it, which makes me really excited and looking forward to it. While on the cruise I enjoy it more since I meet fellow CC members and I see all my planning and CC research pay off. Then when I get back I get to relive the cruise for weeks thru CC by way of review and discussion all while starting to plan my next one.

I love CC and I love the people on here. I find CC to be one of the friendliest forums out there and I appreciate my fellow CC members!

I use CC a lot in the planning stages to research different options... it's an invaluable resource and multiplies my experience.

Post-cruise I like to hang out on CC for a while ... sharing info helps me keep the vacation memory alive. :)

I am a complete newbie to cruising having never gone on a major cruise before (except for the Staten Island Ferry)

I decided on an Alaska cruise and naively thought that they are all basically the same and booked the Sawyer Glacier on the Pearl for the begining of May which fit my time frame and budget. It was only afterwards when I came across this board and began doing research, which it turns out I should have done before, did I realize that there is a vast difference in itineraries.

Becasue of the advice of many good cruisers I switched to a more expensive and less calender friendly cruise to Glacier Bay but one that I am now sure will be much much better for me.

I also got great advice as to excursions and other issues and hope to get more as the date approaches.

I am sure that without CC I would have come back from my original cruise happy but then totally devistated after finding out what I missed

Thanks to all on CC

CC is great. There's planning information to learn and to share with others. There is a fun social aspect. There's cruise news. There's info about ports, ships, food, excursions, activities, cabins, etc.

Best of all CC is the place to come in between cruises. It sort of fills the gaps. And no one understands your love of the open water like other CCrs. When I start talking about cruising to my (non-cruising) family and friends, they start getting that glazed-over look!!! Haha.

Long live CC!!!!

DH and I are not into the M & G as many are. However, CC gave me the freedom get all giddy before our cruises without seeming stupid! Never knew about the upsell fairy. Neither did I know that I had options if my cruise fare went down. I'm a fan because I love the planning process, and I love to give personal reviews so others can anticipate their upcoming cruises.

CC has made my cruising experience even better...so much INFO on here and i pretty much know any question i cant find the answer to i post and usually SOMEONE knows the answer or shares their experience. also being part of a ROLLCALL and going to the M&G has been alot of FUN and have met some WONDERFUL people along the way!!!

Agreed! Recently, we booked a cruise for November 2011 (never thought we would book a vacation so far in advance). We read CC a lot before our first two cruises, and here we are again addicted with eleven months to go! :)

When I was in the planning stages of my first cruise, DH was totally against it. It seemed like everyday he would come up with a reason not to go, or some question he was sure I wouldn't be able to answer. Thanks to CC, I had an answer for every argument and every question.

Now, DH is a full-blown cruise addict.

BCC we had a suite for 5 nights, but didn't know what perks were available or what a butler, much less a concierge, were would do for us. ACC we know what to expect, what to ask for, and what are extra special requests.

BCC I didn't know about Blue Lagoon or the Great Outdoors or Pretzel Rolls. I didn't understand who the DSC covered or about automatic gratuities on spa or bar bills.

Thanks to CC and all the CCers for giving me the ins and outs of cruising.

Anyone else?

Just like you, CC has helped us feel a part of everything before we even step foot on the ship. Ever since I planned our first Meet and Greet via CC back in 2002 CC has become part of my life. We get totally involved, make plans to tour with others and seem to have constant connections sometimes months before we even make final payment. We have, on occassion, gotten together with CC friends the night before the cruise for dinner at our embarkation port.

Not only this, but we learn so much about the ships and the ports before we even board.

Thanks Cruise Critic.

NIta

This is an interesting question. I'll weigh in, though I'm a relative newbie here (only discovered CC after our 3rd cruise, and only 5 cruises completed, plus coming up in a few weeks, yay!).

My husband and I are not particularly social cruisers since we like to keep to ourselves on vacation, so the Roll Calls and Meet & Greets are not for us, but I do feel part of a broader CC community by reading and posting on the boards. I have really come to value the advice I receive here, and I try to pass my own experiences or tips along when I can.

I'd say the biggest change in my cruising experience is in the planning stages. Planning a cruise for my family went from a potentially overwhelming to a manageable and even fun experience ACC, to borrow your acronym. From downloading packing lists for toddlers, learning that swim diapers are no-nos in the wading pools (honestly, the signs are not always well posted, so thank goodness I'd read about this ahead of time on CC!), tips about toddler-friendly shore excursions, even scouring the Freestyle Dailies other CC members so kindly posted-- in most cases, this is simply not the kind of information you can get on the cruiseline website.

CC has been most helpful in answering questions that the cruise lines can't or won't answer. Also, very helpful in reading cruisers experiences in specific ports regarding excursions, doing your own thing or local excursions.

For that matter, help in determining just what cruises to book.

Archived