Stuck in Fort Lauderdale FOREVER

pgphoto

I have always flown out of the US Airways terminal at FLL and it is a dump. No decent place to eat, not enough chairs for all the people waiting and just plain dreary. I don't know about the wi-fi. Maybe some other parts of FLL are nicer?

The Ft Lauderdale water taxi/bus is on a route and the ticket collector usually gives a tour of who lives in the mansions and historical facts about what you are passing. It is actually quite interesting and cheaper than the tours offered by some other boats.

Agree, FLL is one of the drearier airports for spending extra time - terrible food choices, no charm or diversions at all. Grim.

Sorry about the no excursion limitation because we were very pleasantly surprised with the HAL city tour and 90 minute waterway tour which helped us kill the time between getting off the ship and our late afternoon outward bound flight. (Anything after 3pm they recommend).

We did also learn there was more to Fort Lauderdale than first meets the eye viewing if from airport to port only. Riverwalk and Las Olas shopping also recommended plus they also have a lot of early history and museums to explore in this same area.

Last fall we had a 5:15 flight from FLL. We flew home the same day to take advantage of luggage direct and to avoid the next day's zillion people from Ostentatious Giant of the Waters.

We took a shore excursion/transfer, but that meant they got us off the ship early. The excursion was ok. It lasted 3 or 4 hours, but that still got us to the airport before one. For once we wouldn't have minded slightly slow security. Even with a semi-enhanced pat down, security was fast. We then spent four hours in the airport with not much food choice and not much to do.

Next time in FLL we will stay over night and get the airport early the next morning for a morning flight.

The Water Taxi EXPRESS is a good option to get around Fort Lauderdale. If just going for the ride, the trip will be 2 hours from start to finish, or if you have more time you may get off at any of the stops to explore and have something to eat or do some shopping and then hop back on to catch your flight!

Better to be stuck in Ft Lauderdale, than in this frozen wasteland. :eek: :D

So true ! Especially with another 12 to 18 inches of snow on the way. My homeward flight from Ft. Lauderdale leaves at 1:45 and as I'm waiting all I'll have to do is think about how cold home will be.:eek:

Archived