Good Choice with the Westerdam?

Mysteriousbug

I am thinking about doing the Westerdam for New Years Eve - December 2011. I have heard mixed reviews about Holland America. I am 28 and there are a range of ages in the group with me being the youngest. Would this be a good ship for us? does anyone have any information about the ship? Anyone know if there are non smoking areas?

:)

My DH and I cruised on the Westerdam just before Christmas. Had a great time. It's a very nice ship! Friendly passengers and crew, with great service. Wide range of ages. Lots to do and see, also lots of quiet areas. Something for everyone.

We're sensitive to smoke and never had a problem anywhere on the ship. The few smokers there were seemed to be considerate and stayed in the smoking areas that are mostly located out of doors, anyway.

We'd sign up for the Westerdam again in a heartbeat. After cruising on many ships and several lines, this one ranks Number One for us! Enjoy!!!! :cool:

We have quite a few sailing days on the Westerdam. She is a lovely ship.

There is no smoking in the dining room, no smoking in the show lounge, no smoking in the Ocean Bar, no smoking in the Explorer's Lounge, no smoking in the Crow's Nest, no smoking in the Exploration's Cafe, no smoking in the Piano Bar, no smoking in Northern Lights -- as you can see there are lots of places were you can't smoke. I have just named a few.

My partner and I are 39 and 41 and will be sailing Westerdam for the third time in April. She is a great ship with a wide variety of people onboard. It is hard to say exactly what the ages will be when you sail because each sailing can be different. We're non-smokers and have never had problems with smoke on the ship.

Go and have a great time on this beautiful ship!! :) :)

I've sailed the Westerdam twice, once when it was less than a year old in the Baltics and more recently in the Caribbean. On our last Westerdam (Eastern Caribbean) cruise I ranked the crew among the best I've ever experienced on Holland America. The sailing might be the latter part of the holiday season, but I would predict that there will still be young families and children. You will be younger than the "average" passenger age, but the Westerdam is an excellent choice and if the cruise includes a stop at Half Moon Cay, that is an added bonus.

My parents did the 7-night New Years Eve cruise just a few weeks ago on the Westerdam. In the fall of 2010 they had done a 50+ night cruise on another HA ship (I can't remember which one) and had a wonderful time. (Actually, I think my mom mentioned that they cruised 67 days in total on HA ships in 2010.) Anyway, they encountered some issues on the NYE cruise, which they attempted to resolve with Guest Relations. When the head of Guest Relations finally called them back and they went to meet with her, she didn't really apologize for any of the issues they had experienced and actually told them that perhaps they were not the kind of passengers that were right for the Westerdam. (!!!) Well, unfortunately for HA (since my parents cruise a lot), upon hearing that my parents decided that perhaps they were not the kind of passengers that are right for any HA ship. HA has definitely lost all future business from them -- I guess they'll go back to Celebrity, where they're Elite in the loyalty program.

It depends on what you want to do.

I've been on this ship twice.

If you want to relax and have a great cruise that really is not crowded, go on this ship.

If you want to go on one of the big "mega-ships" with 4000+ passengers, then this is not for you.

The westy is a smooth sailing ship that I personally love more than the big mega-ships.

In the big picture now, this is almost a mid-size ship. There are less that 2,000 people, and if you ever been on one of the mega-ships, you'll notice the differencee right away.

The crew of the westy is one of the best at sea.

If you want to party late into the night, everyone gathers in the northern lights until the wee hours. Thats where you'll find us and the partiers.

The party there gets going after 10pm and goes until 3 or 4 at least. It gets VERY crowded there. That's where you will find people in your age group.

A very nice ship that we are entertaining for next year. I would definitely do it in a hear beat. But that's me. don't worry about the age. You'll have a great time if you like good food, good staff and great beds :D

We are a group of around 20 people who cruise together every leap year. (Hence my signature!) We started in 1996 having done 2 CCL and 2 RCL cruises. We were in our late 30's and early 40's on our first cruise together. Night life was important then, not so much now. I'm thinking in 2012 we should try HAL. My DH and I did an Alaskan cruise on HAL in 1998 and LOVED it. We were part of a corporate sailing and didn't pay for the cruise or airfare. I believe the HAL cruise was worth the extra $$ you pay over Carnival.. I have noticed that comparable cruises on RCL are the same $ as HAL. I'm convinced, but I'm not sure the group will all agree. I worry that there will be some grumbling about price and I hope the product will be worthy. Am I thinking sensibly about this?

• 2 weeks later...
We are a group of around 20 people who cruise together every leap year. (Hence my signature!) We started in 1996 having done 2 CCL and 2 RCL cruises. We were in our late 30's and early 40's on our first cruise together. Night life was important then, not so much now. I'm thinking in 2012 we should try HAL. My DH and I did an Alaskan cruise on HAL in 1998 and LOVED it. We were part of a corporate sailing and didn't pay for the cruise or airfare. I believe the HAL cruise was worth the extra $$ you pay over Carnival.. I have noticed that comparable cruises on RCL are the same $ as HAL. I'm convinced, but I'm not sure the group will all agree. I worry that there will be some grumbling about price and I hope the product will be worthy. Am I thinking sensibly about this?

I definitely think you're thinking sensibly... That's how I ponder the cruises

We cruised B2B on the Westerdam over the holiday period and thus did the NY southern Caribbean trip. The ship and crew were really wonderful and I can't praise both enough. Quite a few 'youngish' people on board some with children.

The happy hours now being introduced on HAL ships are a real bonnus and long may they continue offering half price drinks at various bars on the ship.

I would say go with the flow and have a ball on the dear old Westerdam.

There definitely will be a much younger crowd during the holidays since many families will be aboard.

Having sailed on the Westerdam for 32 days this spring, I have to agree that they have one of the best crews I have ever sailed with.

I think so, but I am prejudiced, IMO HAL is superior to RCL. ;)

Archived