The Indian option in the MDR.

Nemspy

How do you pre-order for the first day?
You can probably do so by seeing the Maitre De during the time he is in the dining room dealing with seating issues. The time is usually around 1pm but is listed in the fun times.

Are there any other special menus?

If you are talking special needs they will prepare food special for people with allergies.

For example quite a few vegetables will give DW a migraine so they make her dinner special each night.

Question for folks who have had Indian Food in MDR - do they serve Naan or Roti with their entrees or only rice??

Someone please answer :-)))

Somewhat disappointingly you seem to get tortillas to use as bread. Even on Splendor where they make up naan for the tandoor. The rest of it is all great though, however I felt the butter chicken was better aboard Spirit than Splendor - it probably differs slightly depending on which chefs you get.

This thread is great, gotta love CC!! I'm a huge fan of Indian food & loved the Tandoori station on the Dream. Will definitely look into the Indian menu on our next cruise on board the Dream in June; Indian cuisine in the MDR sounds delish!! :D

Ditto! Me & Hubby are both Indian fans, so may try this for lunch one day at least!

Somewhat disappointingly you seem to get tortillas to use as bread. Even on Splendor where they make up naan for the tandoor. The rest of it is all great though, however I felt the butter chicken was better aboard Spirit than Splendor - it probably differs slightly depending on which chefs you get.

We ordered the Indian food option on Victory out of San Juan(DH is from India). The food was excellent and tasted home-made; we did not specify the spice level and it was fairly spicy . We did not get any Naan; we were served tortillas or Roti every day.

Our table-mates from Miami started liking our food and we started sharing it with them as the week progressed. DH's favorite meal on the ship was Lobster with Spicy Daal !

We did not get Indian food on the first day, since it was open seating for everyone because we left the port at 10PM.

Edited by Skim0733

Question for you: since you ordered the indian food ( i assume you did it in advance) - did you get indian meal on the 1st day???

I didn't get it the first night, but it's possible you could order it in advance, perhaps by visiting the Maitre' D upon boarding the ship.

I didn't pre-order before my cruise - I just asked for it during the week, giving at least 24 hours notice.

How about Glory, available? Do we preorder like kosher meals?

Just give 24 hours notice - someone posted the schedule of when each thing is available earlier in the thread. As long as you provide 24 hours notice you are fine. I'm not sure what to do for Day 1 - perhaps talk to the Maitre D when you board.

do they do it on all carnival ships. Also what about the first night can you order it that night also.

As far as I am aware they do it on all Carnival ships.

I'm not totally sure about first night, but I imagine it's available. If not, there's always the Indian Vegetarian option that's on the actual menu that night which is completely delicious in its own right.

• 3 years later...

I am so excited about the glowing reviews for the Tandoor on Dream. I love love love Indian food and will probably eat it every single day for lunch! What can you request from the MDR? I would love to make a request but not sure what my options are.

Nevermind, saw the menu of whats available. I know which night to order chicken tikka massala. :)

Edited by BigB0882

Only some ships have the Tandoor. On longer cruises there might be an Indian lunch on the buffet.

There is an Indian Vegetarian meal offered each dinner. It comes on two plates. Rice, yogurt sauce, chili and a crisp ( can't spell what it is, it's not naan) on one plate. The other parts rotate. I'll take the bowls off the second plate to save space. It's a lot of food.

I believe in PETA (people eating tasty animals:D) and the Indian is my go to dish.

It's on all ships. Just had it on the Inspiration.

Edited by SadieN

As a vegetarian, I am also curious if they still do this. Anyone done it more recently?

What about on the Fantasy-class ships like the Sensation? Is there an "alternative" Indian option in the MDR on such ships?

- John...

As a vegetarian, I am also curious if they still do this. Anyone done it more recently?

What about on the Fantasy-class ships like the Sensation? Is there an "alternative" Indian option in the MDR on such ships?

- John...

See above ;)