Wearing White Question

I did search but, really haven't found an answer. So, my question is does the "No white shoes/pants" rule apply on a cruise? I'm heading off on my first B2B & first winter cruise February 7 and wanted to start laying out some outfits...then it dawned on me about what time of the year it is. So, is it a fashion faux pas to wear white capris & flip flops???:confused::confused::confused:

I think that particular rule is dead and just about buried. Where did it come from anyway?

I see no reason to not wear white after labor day--in the Caribbean, or anywhere else for that matter, as long as the fabric weight is appropriate. Personally, I think fabric weight is more important than the color you choose to wear. You certainly wouldn't want to wear white wool in the Caribbean, for instance.

Wear whatever color you like. No one will even notice much less care.

I did search but, really haven't found an answer. So, my question is does the "No white shoes/pants" rule apply on a cruise? I'm heading off on my first B2B & first winter cruise February 7 and wanted to start laying out some outfits...then it dawned on me about what time of the year it is. So, is it a fashion faux pas to wear white capris & flip flops???

Turn off Sex and the City and make your own fashion choices.

I did search but, really haven't found an answer. So, my question is does the "No white shoes/pants" rule apply on a cruise? I'm heading off on my first B2B & first winter cruise February 7 and wanted to start laying out some outfits...then it dawned on me about what time of the year it is. So, is it a fashion faux pas to wear white capris & flip flops???:confused::confused::confused:

It is fun to plan for a cruise isn't it?:D

Just wanted to say I appreciate your question. I have the white thing stuck in my head from when I was coming of age and lived in the Big D where fashion guidelines like wearing white after Labor Day were widely adhered to in the early eighties. Even though I believe most fashion guidelines like these are outdated, and I agree that the practical concern is about the weight of the material, the old white fashion rule still comes to mind when I am planning what to wear after Labor Day. I will be packing white capris for our late February cruise next month. ;)

I believe the white after Labor Day rule is long outdated. Nobody pays attention to things like that anymore. You'll be fine, nobody will judge what you're wearing.

Speaking of outdated, this reminds me of a story. Recently my son laughed at my husband when he referred to son's pants as "dungarees". We tend to call them jeans these days, but when I was a kid I remember them being referred to as dungarees or blue jeans, not just 'jeans'! I dont think my son has ever heard it referred to as dungarees. Times they are a changing!

As long as you wear white underwear....;)...just kidding.

I pack my white capris and skirt too.

No white pantys under white always wear flesh colored. Less visible panty line.

I always pause when going to wear something white after labor day and my mom frowns upon it whe she sees me do it. She also is a firm believer of do not wear black to a wedding. Times have changed in fashion.

If you are worried about fashion faux pas, you're going to be real busy shouting at fellow passengers!

lmao .. that is so true. Maybe Im just old, but I saw so many bra straps, who cares what color they were with skimpy tee shirts, tags from being new hanging out they didnt cut off (3 of them) .. I dont get why its ok to show your bra these days.

lmao .. that is so true. Maybe Im just old, but I saw so many bra straps, who cares what color they were with skimpy tee shirts, tags from being new hanging out they didnt cut off (3 of them) .. I dont get why its ok to show your bra these days.

I don't know either, but it's fine with me:) (usually:eek:)

Probably because everyone now knows that most women wear them and it isn't such a taboo subject anymore :)

I know I wear a bra with certain tops, like my skimpy strap tanks simply because those built in shelf bras really don't offer much for support, and strapless bras are just uncomfortable for me. They always feel like they are slipping. I DO, however, snip my tags off and try to color coordinate the bras with the shirts LOL My, don't the men have it so easy??? ;)

Guess I am old too....just don't get the whole showing your bra strap.

Probably because everyone now knows that most women wear them and it isn't such a taboo subject anymore :)

Have to disagree here! Women wear slips (well, some do) and underpants and it is still considered a fashion no-no to show them! Everybody also now knows women have breasts, but they still need to be covered :)

Have to disagree here! Women wear slips (well, some do) and underpants and it is still considered a fashion no-no to show them! Everybody also now knows women have breasts, but they still need to be covered :)

I don't know...for a while there, it was rather trendy to wear a thong sticking out the top of your low-rider jeans.:eek:

Neither sensible nor attractive in my mind...just remembering what I have seen, as recently as last year.;) I don't think any undergarments should show, personally...that's why they are called undergarments! I also don't think PJs are appropriate shopping attire...I don't care if it is WalMart!

Archived