Late Embarkation- Liberty this weekend

Please see responses below.

A) whether or not this was a regular occurrence after Belize itineraries due to Customs delays or

This is a regular occurance on Belize runs for the LB out of Miami

B) propulsion issues as another posted had indicated, since if it was propulsion, we would expect that problem fixed when in drydock this month or

There was one cruise where we arrived 1.5 hours late due to 40 MPH head winds, while we are going into dry dock to address some propulsion issues 99% of the time it hasen't affected our arrival into Miami

C) Customs delays due to many non U.S. Residents on board (rather than Belize itinerary) as another poster had indicated.

On the run which finishes after a Belize stop there is a full US immigration check, it takes a little longer for non-US, but generally it is a slow process because everyone is fully screened. On the other run only the non-US are fully screened.

D) Do you have a recommendation for arrival time at port for passengers boarding on cruises following Belize itinerary

I would arrive between 3:00 PM and 3:30 PM, 1-2:30 pm is the crazy time for sure.

E) Is it any better for Platinum and up C & A members due to priority boarding or all we all in the same boat? (pardon the pun, I know Liberty is a ship not a boat...lol)

That I don't have an answer for as I cannot go onto the pier because I am not a US citizen and I haven't heard any feedback. You may wish to check with other CCr's on this one.

Hey Mike,

I see that you are a fellow Canadian/Ontarian. Now I know why everyone raves about what a great Cruise Director you are.

Thanks for all the clarification on this. Que sera sera. We will just get through the wait knowing that we will enjoy ourselves once on board. Just one other question in red below pertaining to your suggestion of arriving at pier at 3:00-3:30:

Ship is leaving port at 4:30 and I read we have to be on board minimum 1 1/2 hours prior to leaving?

Hey Mike,

I see that you are a fellow Canadian/Ontarian. Now I know why everyone raves about what a great Cruise Director you are.

Thanks for all the clarification on this. Que sera sera. We will just get through the wait knowing that we will enjoy ourselves once on board. Just one other question in red below pertaining to your suggestion of arriving at pier at 3:00-3:30:

Ship is leaving port at 4:30 and I read we have to be on board minimum 1 1/2 hours prior to leaving?

I just spoke with the Guest Services Manager and he confirmed to me between 3:00 and 3:15 would be the best time to arrive. There will still be a wait but nothing compared to arriving earlier in the afternoon.

I hope this helps.

I have heard that because there are so many non-USA passengers onboard Liberty this week that customs is going to cause a huge delay in emptying the ship this Sunday. We are trying to get aboard in time to watch the Ravens game at 1:00. Has anyone experienced this?? Anyone have advice??? Also does anyone know if the cruise terminal has WIFI?

GO CHIEFS!!! We are on Liberty in about 2 months and it can't here soon enough.

I have heard that because there are so many non-USA passengers onboard Liberty this week that customs is going to cause a huge delay in emptying the ship this Sunday. We are trying to get aboard in time to watch the Ravens game at 1:00. Has anyone experienced this?? Anyone have advice??? Also does anyone know if the cruise terminal has WIFI?

Typically RC will rent out the convention hall and buss guests to the place for lunch

They'll have TVs set up IF they are providing facilities

Otherwise you're just on your own

We were also in that long long que on the 26th December, we arrived at 12:15 and we were still not on the ship 3 hours later!!!!!! There was no information until we got to the front, whilst this was happening people were pushing in and joining the line where there was a gap, so they need to invest in more staff to be outside in order to stop people doing this, or have more organisation, for examlpe barriers etc. It is a major problem and did put me off going from Miami again.

As far as the 1:00 pm football game I don't know what else to tell you that I didn't already suggest in the other thread. I wish and pray that it goes faster but there is nothing anyone on board can do to help speed up the process.

Mike, I guess we can hope that they want to watch the game too!!

Hey guys,

yes there is a problem and there is nothing the ship can do to help.

Mike

Respectfully disagree.

1- When you go to the lounge fo D AND + and there is never more than a dozen people there-where is everbody-we were moved to another lounge after an hour there because no one showed up.

2- The open public areas are jammed with people (not in their proper waiting place)

3-Overheard a conversation between two ships personal(2 way radio) about all the people butting in line, people in terminal looking for luggage when their # has not been called and just milling around the ship.

4-Passengers not even flying out that day or driving and they asked for late #'s and were given 1's or 2's. After spending and hour and half in line we got to talk to a number of passergers-not counting the time in the lounge and dining room where they moved us to spend another 2hours

Anyway, RCI needs to start kicking butt and take control of the debark. I wrote them a letter about this and I made a suggestion.Got a canned response, by the way.

When you are assigned a # it should be put into your setsail account, so when you go to ping out your # shows, if it has not been called, the passenger should be made to get out of line and go back to the holding area and wait for their number to be called.

Lots of missed flights on our cruise, we would have missed ours if it had not been delayed by 40 min. The numbers that are given out are usless, why because there seems to be a large amount of passengers who just do what they want to and the SHIP only makes a token attempt of crowd control and the ship DOES not check the numbers. So the numbers only work for suitcases and passengers who want to follow the rules.

Edited by setsail

Respectfully disagree.

1- When you go to the lounge fo D AND + and there is never more than a dozen people there-where is everbody-we were moved to another lounge after an hour there because no one showed up.

2- The open public areas are jammed with people (not in their proper waiting place)

3-Overheard a conversation between two ships personal(2 way radio) about all the people butting in line, people in terminal looking for luggage when their # has not been called and just milling around the ship.

4-Passengers not even flying out that day or driving and they asked for late #'s and were given 1's or 2's. After spending and hour and half in line we got to talk to a number of passergers-not counting the time in the lounge and dining room where they moved us to spend another 2hours

Anyway, RCI needs to start kicking butt and take control of the debark. I wrote them a letter about this and I made a suggestion.Got a canned response, by the way.

When you are assigned a # it should be put into your setsail account, so when you go to ping out your # shows, if it has not been called, the passenger should be made to get out of line and go back to the holding area and wait for their number to be called.

Lots of missed flights on our cruise, we would have missed ours if it had not been delayed by 40 min. The numbers that are given out are usless, why because there seems to be a large amount of passengers who just do what they want to and the SHIP only makes a token attempt of crowd control.

Well I guess I will not offer any more information on this site. I have opened up and given you all the details I have.

If you are unhappy with the process then you can continue to address it with the shore side office in Miami.

Thanks for reading.

We were also in that long long que on the 26th December, we arrived at 12:15 and we were still not on the ship 3 hours later!!!!!! There was no information until we got to the front, whilst this was happening people were pushing in and joining the line where there was a gap, so they need to invest in more staff to be outside in order to stop people doing this, or have more organisation, for examlpe barriers etc. It is a major problem and did put me off going from Miami again.

Ditto, had the same problem in Oct/Nov!!!

I wrote to RCCL suggesting, that they not give Platinum up to D+ and including- all consecutive cruisers- all RED cards. That might help with the rush of priority passengers! Perhaps a #1, #2, etc. RED card would help with organizing the crowd.

We had the room full with people sitting all over the floor and the Priority seating area full and then chaos when they called for RED cards to begin boarding.

Disembarking was confusing too............we sure will avoid Miami if we can.:D It was mostly due to lack of RCL staff there, like you mentioned, to manage the crowds properly with boarding and direct passengers disembarking to their correct carousel. Instead of a rush of passengers with carry on, all pushing and shoving into 1 line to board or disembark the ship.:eek:

Maybe if they had more staff and even provided a beverage tea/coffee, for those that have to wait/sitting on the floor etc. Plus, make it much more orderly, it might not be so frustrating!!!!:confused:

Our Oasis experience just the day before was great!!!! All those passengers and it couldn't have been smoother.

Ditto, had the same problem in Oct/Nov!!!

I wrote to RCCL suggesting, that they not give Platinum up to D+ and including- all consecutive cruisers- all RED cards. That might help with the rush of priority passengers! Perhaps a #1, #2, etc. RED card would help with organizing the crowd.

We had the room full with people sitting all over the floor and the Priority seating area full and then chaos when they called for RED cards to begin boarding.

Disembarking was confusing too............we sure will avoid Miami if we can.:D It was mostly due to lack of RCL staff there, like you mentioned, to manage the crowds properly with boarding and direct passengers disembarking to their correct carousel. Instead of a rush of passengers with carry on, all pushing and shoving into 1 line to board or disembark the ship.:eek:

Maybe if they had more staff and even provided a beverage tea/coffee, for those that have to wait/sitting on the floor etc. Plus, make it much more orderly, it might not be so frustrating!!!!:confused:

Our Oasis experience just the day before was great!!!! All those passengers and it couldn't have been smoother.

I am curious why those with "Priority Boarding" priveleges (Platimum and up) don't seem to be receiving those priveleges. It sounds like utter chaos and very intimidating. I am not trying to slam RCCL here but like the other posters, wondering why they are not doing more to try to control things in this situation.

It sounds like it is a regular occurence every other week, so it isn't like a one off surprise situation that they couldn't predict. Could they not deploy some extra staff to help control matters and ensure that those with priority boarding actually receive that privelege, even if it is still delayed somewhat?

Mike...we really do appreciate you trying to help with providing info on this site for us. We hope that you are not taking these comments personally towards you or the cruiseline. Thanks to your posts, we now understand that the issue is with customs and that RCCL has been trying to rectify this, but just hoping that with additional cruiseline staff in the terminal that perhaps the chaos could be controlled somewhat. It really would make a difference to have priority boarding priveleges enforced at least.

I hope that you will continue to post here, we do enjoy your feedback.:)

I am curious why those with "Priority Boarding" priveleges (Platimum and up) don't seem to be receiving those priveleges. It sounds like utter chaos and very intimidating. I am not trying to slam RCCL here but like the other posters, wondering why they are not doing more to try to control things in this situation.

.:)

There was priority boarding with us but there were so many RED carded passengers by the time to board, that it didn't matter. The seating area was already filled to capacity and Priority passengers were sitting on the floor. So, when they called for RED cards it was chaos then, with so many holding these cards.

That was why I suggested they number them, #1 for consecutive cruisers, then #2 for Suites etc. etc. Then there would Not be the huge rush along with the Travel Agents lining up for coming on board, for their shortened tour as well!!!!:eek:

We loved our cruise on Liberty though and the CD and crew were great!!!!

Edited by CVU

[quote name='CVU']There was priority boarding with us but there were so many RED carded passengers by the time to board, that it didn't matter. The seating area was already filled to capacity and Priority passengers were sitting on the floor. So, when they called for RED cards it was chaos then, with so many holding these cards.
That was why I suggested they number them, #1 for consecutive cruisers, then #2 for Suites etc. etc. Then there would Not be the huge rush along with the Travel Agents lining up for coming on board, for their shortened tour as well!!!!:eek:

We loved our cruise on Liberty though and the CD and crew were great!!!![/quote]

Funny but I would put Suite users first, then consecutive cruisers. Less people in suites, and they will board quickly.

T

[quote name='foxesden1']Funny but I would put Suite users first, then consecutive cruisers. Less people in suites, and they will board quickly.

T[/quote]
We have been consecutive cruisers many times and they always have us go on first. Consecutive cruisers were to be called first we were informed while waiting. Edited by CVU

[quote name='2boyzmom']Mike- we will see yoou on board on Feb 19th! Do you know if that charter the week prior is going to Belize???[/quote]

In a previous post Mike said we will start boarding at noon after the charter so I assume there is no Belize issue or non-US resident issue.

I VERY MUCH appreciate the heads up about the boarding and have totally made my peace with checking the bags and heading over to Bayside to watch the game without angst. I canno timagine how upset we would have been to wait in chaos AND miss the game. We waited in March and it was not pretty.
I do have the same question- is 3:15 too late?

[quote name='cricketgal']I am thinking the same thing. We go on Liberty on Feb 5th and 6 day cruise the previous week is a Western including Belize, so I am wondering if we can expect a delay or not on that cruise?[/quote]

I am on this cruise as well. If I have to wait, such is life, and at least I know now whether it is worth it to come early. I was wondering. Edited by beyond hope

[quote name='webteach']I'll be posting from LOS after we get settled and will give an update on how it all went. Since a poor kid went overboard , there may be other delays in their return to POM.[/quote]

Whaaat??? I didn't hear about a kid going overboard. What is the story there?

Thanks for posting once you are onboard. I see your cruise is before mine, so any insight to all this would be so much appreciated. If you see the CD Mike, please tell him that we appreciate him trying to provide us with helpful info on this crazy situation and that we hope he will keep posting.

Have a great cruise.

Terrible story:
[url]http://7newsbelize.com/sstory.php?nid=18631[/url]

Deck 12 is the running track and that is where my husband and I go for peace and beauty in the morning. That boy and his family will be on my mind for sure.

What a terrible shame. Hearing things like this puts things into perspective, as my DH and I often say.

We were on an excursion in Cayman where a man passed away and his family was with him. It is a terrible things to happen to somebody anytime, but possibly even more so on what is supposed to be a fun vacation with good memories. Our hearts go out to his family.

[quote name='little miss chatterbox']We were also in that long long que on the 26th December, we arrived at 12:15 and we were still not on the ship 3 hours later!!!!!! There was no information until we got to the front, whilst this was happening people were pushing in and joining the line where there was a gap, so they need to invest in more staff to be outside in order to stop people doing this, or have more organisation, for examlpe barriers etc. It is a major problem and did put me off going from Miami again.[/quote]

12:15 was about the time we were finally through customs. We were group 6 and were supposed to be called to leave at 9. it ended up being 11 and then we still had to queue for an hour. customs itself only took a minute by the time we got there.
I felt so sorry for all the people queuing outside the terminal. it was complete chaos.

that said, I really enjoyed my first cruise and will definitely try to go again.