Late Embarkation- Liberty this weekend

The Liberty embarkation on Sunday was exactly as we heard-messy. We drove directly to the pier at 11:30 and dropped our bags. There were already plenty of people arriving but we asked the porter if he thought it was going to be a mess and he said yes. We followed DJ Mike’s advice- returned our car to Hertz downtown and then crossed the street to Bayfront Park. We walked to Bayside, used the free wifi there (several very nice RCCL entertainers were there as well) and then went up to Hooters to watch the first half of the game. It definitely made me nervous to leave the ship area but it was the right thing to do. At halftime we grabbed a cab- 2:45- and went back to the pier where the line stretched for at least a block outside. Cab cost $7.00. I wanted to go back to Hooters but my husband said we had to stay as it was getting late. Wonder of wonders – at that moment another door opened up and we were able to walk right in. The process went quickly then- they had extra people working at a table to speed things up. We were in our seats for the 2nd half before the third quarter ended. We met a woman there who said she was diamond and had gotten on at 1:20. That would have been OK for us too but the wait would have been excruciating, not knowing if we’d get on in time or not.
The official reason- everyone gets full customs treatment after Belize- not just non-USA citizens. They get fingerprinted also.
So far- wonderful cruise although 2 sea days in a row seems a lot .Staff has been great- food as always. Went to wine dinner at Portofino last night – highly recommend that experience. The only slight disappointment is that the Schooner Bar piano player is not as good as ones past. Technically competent but not such a showman and seems a little jumpy. Oh well…….

Btw- very slow to get online - sometimes it takes 10-15 tries! So many electronic tools onboard- crowded internet!

The Liberty embarkation on Sunday was exactly as we heard-messy. We drove directly to the pier at 11:30 and dropped our bags. There were already plenty of people arriving but we asked the porter if he thought it was going to be a mess and he said yes. We followed DJ Mike’s advice- returned our car to Hertz downtown and then crossed the street to Bayfront Park. We walked to Bayside, used the free wifi there (several very nice RCCL entertainers were there as well) and then went up to Hooters to watch the first half of the game. It definitely made me nervous to leave the ship area but it was the right thing to do. At halftime we grabbed a cab- 2:45- and went back to the pier where the line stretched for at least a block outside. Cab cost $7.00. I wanted to go back to Hooters but my husband said we had to stay as it was getting late. Wonder of wonders – at that moment another door opened up and we were able to walk right in. The process went quickly then- they had extra people working at a table to speed things up. We were in our seats for the 2nd half before the third quarter ended. We met a woman there who said she was diamond and had gotten on at 1:20. That would have been OK for us too but the wait would have been excruciating, not knowing if we’d get on in time or not.
The official reason- everyone gets full customs treatment after Belize- not just non-USA citizens. They get fingerprinted also.
So far- wonderful cruise although 2 sea days in a row seems a lot .Staff has been great- food as always. Went to wine dinner at Portofino last night – highly recommend that experience. The only slight disappointment is that the Schooner Bar piano player is not as good as ones past. Technically competent but not such a showman and seems a little jumpy. Oh well…….

Btw- very slow to get online - sometimes it takes 10-15 tries! So many electronic tools onboard- crowded internet!

Are you in the computer lab or using your own equipment to get online. We are on the LOS next week and have to get online our first sea day at 8:30 AM to take care of some personal business that was schedule for that exact day and time. I just want to make sure I allow enough time to connect.

Thanks.

[quote name='djmike']Hey guys,

yes there is a problem and there is nothing the ship can do to help. We have requested more officials, they send us as many as they want and move as fast or slow as they want.

Do you honestly think we want 4,000 [B]upset [/B]passengers coming on the first day? Do you also think we want 4,000 people leaving the ship with this bad taste in their mouth as their last experience? A little common sense please.

We have addressed this at [B]all levels[/B], even Adam Goldstein's family was stuck out in that line for the New Year's cruise. The CBP do full checks once we return from a Belize run. I can't say what happened on INDY but I can tell you that not one single crew member looks forward to the turn around day after a Belize run. It is not fun and it's an uphill battle to win over our guests after that.

As far as the 1:00 pm football game I don't know what else to tell you that I didn't already suggest in the other thread. I wish and pray that it goes faster but there is nothing anyone on board can do to help speed up the process.

Mike[/quote]

We just got off the Liberty last Sunday and we chose the express departure and we were off the ship and in our car by 7:30am. It was the easiest debarkation that we have yet to experience. The embarkation was pretty painless also. We arrived at the port at around 12pm and we were on the ship before 1pm.

Great job on the cruise, Mike. You have become our favorite CD. Edited by shaggyofwv

We hopped right off this morning- very easy. Eternally grateful to Mike for saving us last Sunday- was a little worried about Hooters but it worked out great. Looked for you onboard to thank you in person but could never get close enough- you move fast!!

[quote name='webteach']We hopped right off this morning- very easy. Eternally grateful to Mike for saving us last Sunday- was a little worried about Hooters but it worked out great. Looked for you onboard to thank you in person but could never get close enough- you move fast!![/QUOTE]

What time did you get off the LOTS and did you do express departure?

• 3 years later...
[quote name='TEXASMUNK']Disembarkation and Embarkation have NOTHING to do with any cruise line.
you are dealing with the governemnt. If they decide to take apart anything and everything on the ship...they can.
If they want to inspect every bag....they can.
If they want to inspect every set of documents.....they can.

RCI has no control, nor does Carnival, NCL or anybody else.[/QUOTE]

Hi! Hoping some experience can shed some light to this....have you (or do you know of) late embarkation from 2nd port of call? (I.e. Ship sails from Miami to st. Maarten, San Juan, Bahamas....can a passenger embark late from say St. Maarten port if need be?)

[quote name='doryjeditt']Hi! Hoping some experience can shed some light to this....have you (or do you know of) late embarkation from 2nd port of call? (I.e. Ship sails from Miami to st. Maarten, San Juan, Bahamas....can a passenger embark late from say St. Maarten port if need be?)[/quote]
That has to be arranged in advance with the cruise line, and you will pay full price.

Thanks for the info! I am willing to pay full $$, but cruise line (MSC) keeps going back on forth on approval. Currently, MSC headquarters in Italy denied request after US office had approved and airfare has already been purchased! Any suggestions? Have you heard of MSC approving late embarkation before? Thanks again for your help!!

[quote name='doryjeditt']Thanks for the info! I am willing to pay full $$, but cruise line (MSC) keeps going back on forth on approval. Currently, MSC headquarters in Italy denied request after US office had approved and airfare has already been purchased! Any suggestions? Have you heard of MSC approving late embarkation before? Thanks again for your help!![/quote]
You probably want to post this on the MSC board.