Recent trip on Insignia Rio to BA

Caroldoll

I didn't THINK it was the same name, Lyn. But I know that he avoided the captain's table and was reported to be stand-offish (I didn't ever see him so I'm not asserting that myself)!

The thing is, I do think it's part of the captain's job to be welcoming to passengers. At the same time, he shouldn't be stalked!

Mura

Our captain was Giulio Ressa...I did see him from time to time around the ship along with the GM.

We also had Captain Ressa on our Nov 10th Venice to Barcelona trip on the Insignia. He was both very personable and interesting to talk with. We met him several times on the ship as well as in one of the ports where he introduced us to his lovely wife. We certainly hope to sail with him again one day.

I'm a little disappointed in what i have read so far about Oceania Cruises. We (4 of us) just booked Barcelona to Venice 9/19/11. Salty food, absent staff, bad entertainment, etc. I thought this was a trip to remember on a ship that's A+

I'm a little disappointed in what i have read so far about Oceania Cruises. We (4 of us) just booked Barcelona to Venice 9/19/11. Salty food, absent staff, bad entertainment, etc. I thought this was a trip to remember on a ship that's A+

Please, read some other reviewers! We are about to embark on our 3rd Oceania cruise. I was initially discouraged by the OP's review.... others have stated a completely different experience on the same cruise. It is in the eye of the beholder. Personally, can't say enough good about Oceania!!

Please, read some other reviewers! We are about to embark on our 3rd Oceania cruise. I was initially discouraged by the OP's review.... others have stated a completely different experience on the same cruise. It is in the eye of the beholder. Personally, can't say enough good about Oceania!!

Thank You for your insight for I am new to this site as well as cruising, having only been on 1 (RC) 10 years ago. I am so looking forward to navigating this site and of course going on the cruise. I see your embarking in 10 days on a cruise. HAPPY SAILING to you my friend and i'll c u around CC.

We also had Captain Ressa on our Nov 10th Venice to Barcelona trip on the Insignia. He was both very personable and interesting to talk with. We met him several times on the ship as well as in one of the ports where he introduced us to his lovely wife. We certainly hope to sail with him again one day.

It wasn't my intention to declare him impossible ... I never saw him on our cruise, which was several months before you saw him and which was when he first boarded. There could be many reasons why people I spoke to on board found him stand-offish.

I'm delighted you enjoyed him. Maybe he was just settling in. I do believe there were NO captain's dinners when he first boarded ... and there could be other reasons for that as well. (We wouldn't have been invited anyway!)

I would go to the review section & have a read through

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/oceania-cruises/cl/

some good & some not so good

Some people did not check if this was the right cruise line for them

The entertainment is low key on Oceania R ships...the Marina will have a different style I am sure

The shore excursions most people DIY ...join the roll call for your cruise and see if there are tours to join

You need to decide if Oceania is the right fit for you & your lifestyle

It works for us

Hope you enjoy your cruise

Lyn

I would go to the review section & have a read through

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/oceania-cruises/cl/

some good & some not so good

Some people did not check if this was the right cruise line for them

The entertainment is low key on Oceania R ships...the Marina will have a different style I am sure

The shore excursions most people DIY ...join the roll call for your cruise and see if there are tours to join

You need to decide if Oceania is the right fit for you & your lifestyle

It works for us

Hope you enjoy your cruise

Lyn

I took your advice and thank you for that. It seems Oceania is a perfect fit for us. Smaller without all the fake glitzy big ship atmosphere. The food sounds good too as it did when we booked this trip. One bad apple and Im a mess. LOL

It is about 40 minutes to the airport from town and the airport is the worst airport I have ever been in. I am glad we paid an extra hotel night so we would not have had to sit in that congested, crazy, hot airport with no services...just a food counter. Lots of shops though.

Good to know in advance that a day room is the way to go. Thank you. Would you mind sharing the information on your guides in BA? Thanks.

Jacquie

I took your advice and thank you for that. It seems Oceania is a perfect fit for us. Smaller without all the fake glitzy big ship atmosphere. The food sounds good too as it did when we booked this trip. One bad apple and Im a mess. LOL

Hope you have a wonderful cruise

You may be hooked like the rest of us :D

Lyn

• 1 year later...

So many people have said that boarding in Rio can be a bit chaotic, so I am wondering how easy it would be to lug 2 large suitcases, plus 2 carry-ons on board ourselves. Are there stairs/escalators that would make this difficult?

This would also let me get away with not changing the original cabin number on my luggage. ;)

We boarded in Rio in February 2009 for a circumnavigation of South America and I cant remember on a chaotic embarcation. There were a lot of registration desks and the boarding was very smooth. We boarded within minutes.

I hope it will be the same this year.

Dennis

We boarded in Rio in February 2009 for a circumnavigation of South America and I cant remember on a chaotic embarcation. There were a lot of registration desks and the boarding was very smooth. We boarded within minutes.

I hope it will be the same this year.

Dennis

Thanks, Dennis.

When do you fly?

BTW, I don't have your cabin number to send you an invitation to the Meet & G. If the concierge cannot arrange it for the 22nd, I am going to ask for the 24th.

If you are German speaking, I am sure that Hugo would especially love to have you there. He speaks no English.

Almost all ports are tender ports. If you are not on a ship's tour, you wait. We are early people. We had to wait! I am not talking about walking off the ship.

Rio Grande is not worth even getting off for. I forgot to mention that.

In BA, I don't think it is unsafe, but there are not many police. I did not see any shuttles. A taxi is not expensive, but we were warned only to use the ones that say Radio Cab.

I am sorry some of you feel I am bashing Oceania. There were good things and bad things. I don't feel that a person should have to be mealy mouthed and say everything is roses when it just wasn't in THEIR perception. The ship is a lovely ship. Otherwise, it is what it is.

Owners and Vista Suite occupants do not ever need to wait to leave the ship,

your room card is all you need. The butler can provide you with a separate card that we have only had once in 10 cruises which will also get you on and off any time. It seems Oceania is really not for you but as for us we're delighted to go back.

Dear burm,

since we had to reschedule our travel arrangement due to family reasons we fly in at the morning of march 21.

Yes we come from Switzerland and our first language is german.

Thank you very much offering to invite us however I don’t think that we will attend since my English is to bad for small talk. Our stateroom is 8055.

Thank again and have a save trip

Dennis

Owners and Vista Suite occupants do not ever need to wait to leave the ship,

your room card is all you need. The butler can provide you with a separate card that we have only had once in 10 cruises which will also get you on and off any time. It seems Oceania is really not for you but as for us we're delighted to go back.

It's a shame that this thread, well over a year old and containing very negative mis-information from the original poster, was dredged up for this query.

It should be allowed to die and if there are any unanswered questions they should be raised in a new thread.

Please don't judge by one opinion/ read more reviews and enjoy your cruise!;)

Do you know, are there a lot of german speaking passangers?

3 years ago there were only 3 couples incl. us.

Cheerio

Dennis

Someone said there would be a group of 50 Germans, but they aren't with CC.

Dear burm,

since we had to reschedule our travel arrangement due to family reasons we fly in at the morning of march 21.

Yes we come from Switzerland and our first language is german.

Thank you very much offering to invite us however I don’t think that we will attend since my English is to bad for small talk. Our stateroom is 8055.

Thank again and have a save trip

Dennis

Please come. Hugo needs you. :)

Hi

we have cruised with O a number of times crusing HKG to Dubai(Nautica) and Rio to Valparasio(Insgnia Jan 2012) and I have to say you must have been on a different Insignia.

Yes, they are changing crews gradually but a lot are statying till the end.

Crew remember nasmes, food was great(my lady has a special diet and they delat with it beautifully), everywhere we were always first off as we do private tours, balcony cabins maybe small but suspect Vista suites are larger but balcony cabins do have storage space(we reserve conceirge deck).

Yes, Rio is a shambles but we noticed it is the port and area it is in and lack of space.

yes, we have to disembark at 8:00am or 9:00am due to customs and immigration requirements in most ports outside the USA. This has always been the case even in Australia. This is expected.

Comment card 4 days into trip is always the case with O and they respond to any issues that you raise and then another one at the end of the cruise.

Maybe you should travel on a 3000 person boat and then make comments.

We are O and Regent cruiser.

As has been suggested maybe you need to look at another cruise line.

Archived